Fork assembly

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinker

Tinker
Reaction score
I replaced seals on both tubes. After assembly I have zero travel, totally bottomed out. I think I put the spacer, washer, spring and spring seat in the wrong order. Should it be- spring, spring seat, spacer, washer, nut and cap nut?

Will putting the spring seat under the spring screw anything up in two blocks test ride?

I hate screwing up like this.

Tinker

I try to only take one bilateral assembly apart at a time, 'cause I've screwed the pooch too many times to go without a net.

Fill it full? No not full. Filled to spec, that is 100mm below the compressed inner tube edge. No more no less.

The spacer is in the wrong place. The sequence:

From the bottom up: washer (a.k.a. spring seat); spring; washer; spacer; nut

Be gentel with the fork tubes when they are bottomed out, you could do some harm to seals if you aren't careful.

(The 03-05 FSM has a good picture on page 4-61 ;) )

Thanks Ionbeam. I was trying to duplicate the race shops assembly order. I ended up mixing the FSM and shop sequence. At least I think thats what I did.

The dis-assembly order was nut, washer, spacer, spring seat, spring.

I'm not understanding why the FSM shows the spring seat against the flange of the damper rod assembly. Any thoughts or am I seeing it wrong?

What damage could I have done to the seals and or bushings? That is what started this.

Thanks again man.

Tim

The spacer is in the wrong place. The sequence:
From the bottom up: washer (a.k.a. spring seat); spring; washer; spacer; nut

Be gentel with the fork tubes when they are bottomed out, you could do some harm to seals if you aren't careful.

(The 03-05 FSM has a good picture on page 4-61 ;) )

I'm not understanding why the FSM shows the spring seat against the flange of the damper rod assembly. Any thoughts or am I seeing it wrong?
I think what you are seeing on the damper rod is the seat for the fork bushing and seal spacer. It is a little confusing the way they show the seal components and the dampening rod, page 4-65 may show the damper rod assembly better.

Hummmm....... Looking at 4-62. On the damper rod assem.(12) there is a disc, which on my '03 is fixed. There are ware marks which match the spring end. On the spring seat (7) there are ware marks to match the end of the spring and the spacer end . The washer (5) shows markings for the spacer only. The spacer are both plastic tubes, likely white PVC with english markings. Ate the stock spacers PVC? I have it all back together now and am going for another test squirt around the block.

Thanks again Alan.

Tim

Tim, I hope you get this problem unphucked soon, since you have an appointment in Utah this week. Just in case you fergot.

The front end is sorted out. Thanks again for the guidence and support.

The packing has begun

Thread is closed