Fork Oil situation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McRuss

Reaction score
I ran into a situation that I couldn't quickly find a solution for. Now that I found the secret that I needed (after the bike was back together of course) I need some help. Here's the story:

I pulled the forks to change the fluid for the first time. I had a printout from FJRTECH on the procedure but had a problem in that I could not get the 'large metal washer' out and thus the springs. The instruction said to use a magnet or just dump the fluid and fetch the washer out of the pan. Hah! It would not come out regardless. So I dumped the fluid and measured the resulting amount, replacing 635 cc per leg (I obviously couldn't measure the height with springs still in.)

Jump ahead to later today. I found another post on FJRTECH where it mentioned removing the nut from the preload tube (the secret) and removing the spacer. I could swear there was no spacer under that nut! If there was, and I'm fairly convinced there must have been, it was very well concealed to look just like the pre-load tube (the rebound rod was removed and replaced with no problem, I just did not see what I considered to be a spacer.)

Any way, my problem is this: does anyone have the specs for the fluid volume for a 2004, non ABS? I can add or subtract a little without removing the fork legs again (I'm going to go back in and look for that 'invisible' spacer next weekend and would like to know what the specs are for volume.)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a 2004 non ABS Aust model, not sure if your specs will differ.

fk1.jpg

fk2.jpg

The proper way is to measure the level without the spring. Period.

Any other way will be a SWAG.

The proper way is to measure the level without the spring. Period.
Any other way will be a SWAG.
Absolutely! IF you can get the spring out! That was my problem and the reason I went with capacity rather than level. I have a very cool Progressive fork oil 'tool' that makes adding oil a breeze IF you can get it into the fork. The 'pre-load device prohibits that too. But the 670 cc capacity is what I was looking for, thanks Shadow. I think it is the same since mine calls for the 100 cm level.