Fork Oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with this aspect but not size of spring and blah blah. The spacer takes no room and the oil fill was with or without the spring buffer.
No, the buffer doesn't displace any oil. What it does is take up some of the volume in the air space above the oil (buffers are not compressible).

So (just throwing out some numbers here) if the normal air space volume was 400 cc's and the buffer displaces 50cc's you'd want to drop your oil level by an additional 50cc's in order to get the same air spring assistance.
Thanks Fred I get it for sure now. Just not spring size as mine was smaller then OEM. And I do not think my spacer would take any head space away either. I do understand displacement and pressure. My other point is and was is that weight, and volume will change a stock set up fork. If it is enough to compensate for springs rated for 175# rider to a 200 # rider I cant say. I am doubtful on this for sure.

But I can say over the years Fork Oil has been debated on this Forum and has been proven that weight on the bottle may not tell the whole story because of different ways of manufactures rating oil.

Race Tech recommends 110mm. Does that extra 10mm account for the extra displacement of the longer springs?

Also, 25mm of preload. Does anyone remember what stock pre-load is with 3 rings showing? I got carried away and forgot to check.

Last edited by a moderator:
RaceTech springs are beefier, so yes, they displace a bit more oil.

I take it to mean the 25 mm of preload is springs compressed 25mm once the fork caps are back on with 0 preload on the adjuster.... you then set your sag to your bike and weight after you got it back together.

Where was it that I read 1L of fork oil would be enough? I'm not even close to 110mm with .5L in each leg

Not from me. Need 2 liters and you'll have more that half of the second one left for the next time.

Which will of course make you want to use the same shit again.

It's all an advanced marketing scheme...

Latest posts