Fork reassembly difficulty (upper bushing)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

What would DoG do?
Reaction score
What's the trick to get the upper fork bushing back down into its special place, just under the seal? It seems that it needs to be driven in, but it's not going any kind of easy, with me using the steel washer and tapping down against it with a small allen key.

Any proven tricks or tips?

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the trick to get that little dude back down into its special place, just under the seal? It seems that it needs to be driven in, but it's not going any kind of easy, with me using the steel washer and tapping down against it with a small allen key.
Any proven tricks or tips?
When I did my forks I replaced`the metal slides. So I used the old one, to tap in the new one, with a screwdriver. Worked great.

use a piece of PVC pipe to drive it in. Sip the PVC over the fork tube. Cut the PVC long enough do that it clears the end of the fork tube. Slip a cap on the end of the PVC ao that it is easier to apply the force in the "middle" of the PVC "driver"

use a piece of PVC pipe to drive it in. Sip the PVC over the fork tube. Cut the PVC long enough do that it clears the end of the fork tube. Slip a cap on the end of the PVC so that it is easier to apply the force in the "middle" of the PVC "driver"
That's what I was thinking, but didn't have any large stuff laying around to try, so I'd better make a run to Home Depot before they close.

Thanks!

Bob,

Motion Pro has a special fork bushing driver for around 30 dollars if you wanted to get fancy, however, I have used the old bushing with good results. You don't want to get anything near the smooth chrome finish of the fork pipe that could scratch it. That is a sure fire way to induce a leak at the seal.

If you have a friend with a lathe you could have him fabricate the tool. The tool has a smooth finish on the inside not much larger than the fork pipe. It has some weight to it, yet is thin enough at the working end to be able to drive the bushing past the annular snap-ring groove in the slider. The idea is to drive the bushing down evenly into the bore.

Good luck

Brodie

PVC pipe!!! Where the hell were you when I was pulling my hair out whilst doing seal and spring change jestal?? :)

:jester: