Fork Repair

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPORT

Reaction score
Spent Sunday flushing Fork fluid and installing new GPSuspension springs. Holy cow! Amazing what a little spring can do to effect positive change.

Now just need to dial it in for my weight and preferences...

Also replaced steering head bearings with tapered bearings. Didn't feel much of a difference.

My reasoning for the above work was due to a 'clunking' in the front end. Although it seems to have mellowed, it still clunks when riding over rough roads. I'm beginning to think my Gen I FJR has bad fork bushings as it's really the only possibility for that sound/feel/and location.

More later.

Last edited by a moderator:
My mate with an 06 had clunking similar to you and we changed his steering head bearings to tapered rollers.

He eventually found out that his sliders were loose/engine mounts tighten them and no more clunks at slow speed.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

My mate with an 06 had clunking similar to you and we changed his steering head bearings to tapered rollers.He eventually found out that his sliders were loose/engine mounts tighten them and no more clunks at slow speed.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

I'll take a gander at surrounding attach points again. Thanks for the suggestion.