Forks Collapsed!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feeger

Reaction score
I have less than 200 miles on my FJR since returning from a 8,860 mile ride (30k total miles on the FJR). On my way to work this morning, something in the front end didn't feel right, so I grabbed the front brake to test/feel the front suspension and WHACK! The front end dove and didn't come back...

Here's the result:

fjr.jpg

The forks did NOT slide on the triple clamp and there is no evidence of fluid leaks. I had a suspension shop install Ohlins springs and replace the fluid a couple of months ago before my trip (rode about 11k miles since then).

Since the shop that did the work is 200 miles away and the bike is not rideable, I packed the forks in a gun case and shipped them to the shop. The tech I spoke with will call me when he disassembles the forks to determine what happened.

What could have failed? What questions should I ask when the tech calls?

I should be pissed, but am just happy that I didn't crash...

[guess] The washers that go with the spacers were not located correctly, of poor quality, the spacer was incorrectly placed or the nut(s) came loose. I suspect both forks were assembled alike -- wrong, and most likely one fork never was right but it took a while for the second fork to fail allowing the front end to collapse.[/guess]

-- or -- your gremlin bells fell off someplace down the road.

Salute! For keeping composure and keeping the rubber on the road.

That is truly freakish looking!

Will be attentive to this thread for when the shop calls you back.

I really can't think of how that could have occurred, except if they were in a bind and stuck compressed. I guess when you lifted the bike they dropped? Strange...

I'm not sure I would have sent them back to that shop.

It will be interesting to find out what they say....

BTW, glad you weren't injured or worse...

[guess] The washers that go with the spacers were not located correctly, of poor quality, the spacer was incorrectly placed or the nut(s) came loose. I suspect both forks were assembled alike -- wrong, and most likely one fork never was right but it took a while for the second fork to fail allowing the front end to collapse.[/guess]
-- or -- your gremlin bells fell off someplace down the road.
+1 on this one. I would bet that something in the assy process wasn't right and it finally showed up.

Just a reminder DIY may be the best bet next time.

Edit: Since the shop that did the work is 200 miles away and the bike is not rideable, I packed the forks in a gun case and shipped them to the shop. The tech I spoke with will call me when he disassembles the forks to determine what happened.

Would this be a suttle hint iffen they dont come back right this time?

Last edited by a moderator:
They have 9000 miles on them since the shop did the work right?

at least it didn't happen while you were in Tennessee.

will you have them back for the 17th?

R

Just a reminder DIY may be the best bet next time.
Edit: Since the shop that did the work is 200 miles away and the bike is not rideable, I packed the forks in a gun case and shipped them to the shop. The tech I spoke with will call me when he disassembles the forks to determine what happened.

Would this be a suttle hint iffen they dont come back right this time?
haha, nope, the tech suggested that a gun case was the best way to pack them for shipment.

They have 9000 miles on them since the shop did the work right?
at least it didn't happen while you were in Tennessee.

will you have them back for the 17th?

R
That was the first thing I thought of when this happened. It would be a huge bummer to miss that ride...

Glad to hear you were able to maintain control. I'll be watching this one too. Let us know what you find out...

That is just FREAKY!!! Glad to here you are ok and that everything is well.

As wheatie pointed out, this kind of thing is extremely rare. I would say the shop that installed the new suspension components really FU**ED something up. I wouldn't have sent them back to them without first determing what happened. I really doubt they will take responsibility and own up to making a mistake. They will blame in on something else, and you'll never know what really happened.

I wish you the best of luck in getting them fixed correctly, and soon.

YIKES!!! Really glad you and the bike are OK. That could have been DISASTROUS. I sure hope you get a straight and honest answer from the shop that serviced the forks. Having serviced my forks a few times, I can't help but believe that it's tech error -- just not much else in there that could fail and cause THAT to happen if it was put back together correctly. For some things, there is NO substitute for getting it right and checking it twice.

I had a discussion with an Auburn tire retailer after having new tires put on my ex's 280ZX a few years back. She drove to Truckee and back and reported a severe wobble on the way back. (Maybe 125 miles after picking up the car with the new tires when I went out to inspect.) I insisted the manager send someone over to my office where the car was when I first got a look at it. Another five miles on the very loose remaining lug nuts (1 had already come off) and they might have been defending a wrongful death law suit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, AL. That's a scary story...

I believe I'd have been talking with Zac @ Roseville Yamaha. Hopefully the establishment that did the work is a "stand-up" place. They do enough race bikes they should know the issues involved. This is just too frightening a scenario.

I'm with Richard in that I hope you can still make the trip North.

Sorry, AL. That's a scary story...
I believe I'd have been talking with Zac @ Roseville Yamaha. Hopefully the establishment that did the work is a "stand-up" place. They do enough race bikes they should know the issues involved. This is just too frightening a scenario.

I'm with Richard in that I hope you can still make the trip North.

I called Zak today. If I'm not happy with the explanation, I'll have Rosevile Yamaha do a rebuild. I don't want to take any chances.

But, I do think the shop will take care of me. The tech was genuinely concerned about this and I when I took my bike there the first time, I could tell that he took pride in his work.