Freakin cell phones, blackberries, GPSs, iPhones, etc.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We just don't need more laws as much as we need responsible drivers.
And THAT sums it up. Society has gotten so selfish, self important, and self-absorbed that many refuse to pay attention to how their actions affect others. Most of the time we read here how the offending driver acts surprised when one of us honk at them or otherwise attempt to direct their attention outward. If it wasn't a cell phone, it would be a book, newspaper, puzzle, or whatever.

It's always been said that you can't legislate morality. Well, you can't legislate responsibility, either.

I think the ultimate irony was the post that told about the lady texting who was written up NOT for texting, but for DISTRACTED DRIVING... and beat the charge! Did she learn from it? YOU BET SHE DID! She learned that it didn't matter if she was texting while she was driving...

And THAT sums it up. Society has gotten so selfish, self important, and self-absorbed that many refuse to pay attention to how their actions affect others. Most of the time we read here how the offending driver acts surprised when one of us honk at them or otherwise attempt to direct their attention outward. If it wasn't a cell phone, it would be a book, newspaper, puzzle, or whatever.

It's always been said that you can't legislate morality. Well, you can't legislate responsibility, either.

I think the ultimate irony was the post that told about the lady texting who was written up NOT for texting, but for DISTRACTED DRIVING... and beat the charge! Did she learn from it? YOU BET SHE DID! She learned that it didn't matter if she was texting while she was driving...
Yep! And rather than have specific "bad things" that LEOs are looking for, I for one would rather have a broad negligence/reckless net that would send a message (and bring enforcement) that regardless of why you're negligent or reckless, DON'T DO IT. While you can't legislate morality or responsibility, you can have consequences if someone is neither.

The issue transcends texting, cellphones, or puzzles. Indeed, it transcends "selfishness." Drivers, pedestrians, and the rest need to be reminded -- including by some serious enforcement -- that if they're driving, that's Job One. If they're walking, walking safely and within the rules is Job One. If they're flying a Cessna, flying the damn airplane is Job One.

Eveyone knows there is a easy fix to all of this, at least where you as an individual is involved. Get one of these The Cell Phone Answer and put it on the bike. Just press a button and the problem is solved. At least around you. Screw civil rights, those have already been taken away by big brother. This is the solution. They make them specifically for in car use Vehicle Blocker
Sure, then you'd have a bunch of fools staring at their phone with even more roadworthy inattention wondering why they have no signal strength.

I was rear-ended not once, but twice last year in my car, on my daily commute on I-95. I was very lucky in both cases that I did'nt get hurt, but had I been on the bike, it would have been ugly. I used to do this commute on good days on the bike but after a few close calls, I stopped taking the bike. Now almost all of my riding is purely recreational, and allways with full gear. I get the hell out of dodge as soon as possible, that way I can enjoy my ride. These days driving the car is the last thing people do behind the wheel. I feel the same way about cell phones as I do about guns; guns don't kill people, people kill people. Cell phones don't cause accidents, unattentive distracted drivers cause accidents. It all boils down to RESPONSIBILITY.

Amen...

Amen...
Ditto. But it ain't gonna start changing until we start seeing careless drivers/walkers/etc. face significant penalties. Which doesn't mean to keep looking for high profile defendants, but instead prosecuting the average Joe and Jane who refuses to pay attention and/or intentionally flouts traffic laws.

Has anyone ever been/seen/heard of/read about a ticket issued for texting/talking/gaming on a cell fone BEFORE an accident?
Me either. What a bunch of hooey. Pass a law that is unenforced/unenforceable.
I write them all the time. About 5 a week or more. I have an unmarked SUV, so it makes it pretty easy to look across and down into someone's car and see they are screwing off on the phone. Unless they are paying attention, they don't know mine is a cop car until the pretty lights come on. I was issuing the cites for "Careless Driving" because the state did not have a cell phone law. However, now we do, so depending on their actions, they get one or the other.

The people reading, putting on makeup, breastfeeding their kid, or doing any of the other 10 billion things people do except drive get Careless Driving cites. Haven't lost one yet!

Has anyone ever been/seen/heard of/read about a ticket issued for texting/talking/gaming on a cell fone BEFORE an accident?
I write them all the time. About 5 a week or more. I have an unmarked SUV, so it makes it pretty easy to look across and down into someone's car and see they are screwing off on the phone. Unless they are paying attention, they don't know mine is a cop car until the pretty lights come on. I was issuing the cites for "Careless Driving" because the state did not have a cell phone law. However, now we do, so depending on their actions, they get one or the other.

The people reading, putting on makeup, breastfeeding their kid, or doing any of the other 10 billion things people do except drive get Careless Driving cites. Haven't lost one yet!
Thank you!!!!

Thank you!!!!
Out of the Tacoma, WA paper just after the law took affect.Nearly 670 cell phone tickets in 20 days: Even the patrol chief writes one

The Washington State Patrol said Friday that it had written nearly 670 tickets in 20 days for drivers who were texting or talking on cell phones.

Read more: https://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/07/03/1...l#ixzz0uRcWy8Mf

already laws for bad driving, these (phone/texting) laws are just another way to get more control of daily behavior. Bad bad bad, and the people that support it can blow me.

sent from my blackberry

68mph southbound hwy 395

Last edited by a moderator:
already laws for bad driving, these (phone/texting) laws are just another way to get more control of daily behavior. Bad bad bad, and the people that support it can blow me.
sent from my blackberry

68mph southbound hwy 395
You can crackberry all you want as long as your vehicle stays away from mine. There aren't enough policeman in the world to make people do the right thing all the time...so the "change in people habits" has to be a cultural one...looked down on...like drunken driving.

...and why are you going 68mph when the speed limit is 75? Are you crackberrying in the left lane? :D

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

As an employee of a wireless company, I catch a lot of flak when I make my opinions known at the office or at any of our locations. Hands-free or not, no one has any business operating a vehicle while on the phone...or fiddling with the radio, bitching at the kids, or whatever.

That's made for some interesting conversations around the break-room. :glare:

Last week I watched this cute little teeny-bopper girl in her Ford Focus chatting away to her Facebook friends or whatever...seat reclined back, left foot resting on the window sill, weaving in and out of traffic with no regard to anyone around her. No turn signals, tailgating anyone in front of her...just amazing to watch. What a twit. :angry: :blink:

Thankfully, my off-ramp was close at hand.

You can crackberry all you want as long as your vehicle stays away from mine. .
You better bring your fucking "A" game if you want to tell me how to ride -this is the problem with this law and people in general, everyone is so eager to tell other people what to do.

...and why are you going 68mph when the speed limit is 75? Are you crackberrying in the left lane? :D
I was at Washoe Lake, 55MPh speed limit. any other questions?
Sent from my blackberry,

73MPH, Northbound hwy 395

sent from my blackberry

68mph southbound hwy 395
Agreed - enforce the current laws, we don't need more

When enough people die, the cell phone companies will probably have to find a way to regulate the way a cell phone is used. I know in my old Tom Tom GPS, when the bike is in motion certain features are disabled. I don't think it would be hard to adapt

this to cell phones.

What is sad is that the kid who videotaped getting pulled over, is facing 16 years for illegal recording of the police. But people are killing people everyday because of inattentive driving and they are walking away.

Yes, here in Washington. Hundreds of tickets were issued the first weekend the law went into effect on July 1. The previous law was a secondary offense, could only be written if you were stopped for something else (no seatbelt, speeding, etc.), but they changed it so they can stop you for talking/texting. State Patrol said since the other law had been in place for some time that folks should be aware of it, and therefore cut no slack with warnings.

Not to get political, but I don't like the law any more than a helmet law. We just don't need more laws as much as we need responsible drivers. And I'd rather have our officers out looking for other, more deadly things such as unsecured loads, bald-tires, red-light runners, improper lane-usage, failure to signal lane changes, etc.
+1 I would like to see more education in drivers ed. When I took drivers ed, they showed some really graphic films of car accidents and the carnage that went with it. They showed these films every day for a week,and believe me it sunk in. Now,still,those films flash through my mind when ever I'm about to do some thing stupid on the bike or cage. As I understand it, they cant show those films any more because they are too graphic and upsetting to the children...PLEASE...

What ever happened to the concept that driving a motor vehicle is a privilege not a right?

You can crackberry all you want as long as your vehicle stays away from mine. .
You better bring your fucking "A" game if you want to tell me how to ride -this is the problem with this law and people in general, everyone is so eager to tell other people what to do.

I was at Washoe Lake, 55MPh speed limit. any other questions?
Sent from my blackberry,

73MPH, Northbound hwy 395

oops, I think you just missed a pedestrian...extra points you know. :rolleyes:

The new law in Massacusetts does not go into effect until the fall. It does indeed ban cell phone use while driving for those under 18 and texting for everyone. Unfortunately but predictably, the legislature did not have the courage to ban outright all forms of cell phone use while driving. So a police officer observing a possible violator must decide 1) is the driver under 18? 2) is the driver texting or just dialing? and 3) am I going to waste my time writing a ticket that will probably get thrown out in court because I have no real evidence? A total ban on cell phones while driving would have a much better chance of being enforced. Our lawmakers probably didn't want to rile up the telecommunications industry simply to save lives on the roads of MA so we have another half-baked law that won't be worth a damn. They didn't do their job (no surprise to those of us who call MA our home.)

If you think there should be no laws against distracted driving, no need to put your beloved personal freedoms at risk, then there is no way to protect yourself from the morons on the roads except to stay home. Enjoy your "freedom." You aren't going to make dangerous drivers into responsible drivers except through enforcement. Texting-while-driving is so absurdly and obviously dangerous that it is amazing anyone would even consider it. Yet there they are.

pete