free standing gas heaters

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim T

Reaction score
Im doing a basement remodle and I wan't to heat the basment with a gas heater. The kind that you can see the flames that look like wood burning. Tryed Google but all I can find are sights selling and promoting ther brand. If anyone can reccomend a brand or can get me to a independent rating sight I would be very grateful. Thanks Jim T

For starters try flea bay, under gas logs Fireplace is the same setup. What you're looking for I presume is more of a "free standing" unit right?

:jester:

You might be consider the ventless fireplace insert with or without the mantel. We just installed on in an existing fireplace. We decided to go with the variable speed blower. It'll heat a significant amount of area in a short time. That's a nice plus in a basement. If you decide to do this, check out how it looks with the flame on and warmed up. Some of them can look very phoney. One plus of the ventless is they are 95% plus efficient. They are not the best for a real tight house because of humidity issues. Good luck.

For starters try flea bay, under gas logs Fireplace is the same setup. What you're looking for I presume is more of a "free standing" unit right?
Yes, a free standing unit. Like anything, there is some stuff thats good and some you want to stay away from. I was hopeing someone could reccomend a good brand.

Just remember that with anything vent less that burns something (i.e. not electric) you will be breathing the fumes. The main byproduct of burnt natural or propane gas is carbon dioxide (same stuff you breathe out). It's high in humidity which can cause mold issues and it displaces the air in the room. Personally, I'd go with something vented. If it's sealed combustion using a concentric vent, it can still be very efficient.

Just remember that with anything vent less that burns something (i.e. not electric) you will be breathing the fumes. The main byproduct of burnt natural or propane gas is carbon dioxide (same stuff you breathe out). It's high in humidity which can cause mold issues and it displaces the air in the room. Personally, I'd go with something vented. If it's sealed combustion using a concentric vent, it can still be very efficient.
your are right on, I have done enough research to know direct vent is the only way to go. thanks jim t

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim,

Vanguard, Peterson or Empire are a couple of industry names that have been around for some time, Lopi and Avalon build some of the best units but pricey.

Most all of them have a stamped burner as opposed to the longer lasting cast units that used to be so common. I've seen some really nice units and some really crappy stuff too.

HTH

Hey scuba, Carbon Monoxide is the real problem with unvented stuff. Yer fired :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: