From ZX-11 to FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdisher

formerly Renegade, get used to it.
Reaction score
From ZX-11 to FJR

zx11.jpg

What’s wrong with me, or how’d I get here?

It all started a couple years ago when my wife agreed out of the blue to that I could get a street bike. I’ve been riding one thing or another most of my life. But since we’d been married I’d been limited to dirt bikes and things less likely to kill.

I did some research. I wanted an R1 but that wasn’t really practical. I am after all a father of 5. If I put her on the back of an R1 my motorcycling career would soon be over. I didn’t want a Wing but I did want to do some traveling. I also didn’t have a lot of money at the time. As luck would have it, a buddy was selling a gently used 98 ZX-11

This was sporty enough for me, as tourable too. So I went for it.

I did my first Iron Butt ride around Lake Michigan man style, with some poor soft luggage, and a duffle bag strapped on the back. It was basically bone stock, the ride wasn’t terrible but I knew it could be better. I spent time, energy, effort and $. Pashnit was my hero. I added bar risers, and eventually Full Givi luggage… I loved my ride.

But adding the luggage brought problems too. Handling went to hell. The added luggage ruined the aero, and I’m not sure if it was weight, or just aero, but I picked up serious head shake with the luggage that wasn’t good. I chased that with a steering stabilizer as a quick fix. I toyed with retooling the entire suspension but stopped short of spending $2k for new suspenders.

I still rode it and still loved the awesome power. I didn’t mind the ergos that much. But it wasn’t a very good 2-up machine. I’m not as svelte as I used to be and neither is my wife. The passenger seat is a tad narrow or short and the passenger really slides into the driver on that bike even with the Corbin Gunfighter and Lady seat.

All hell broke loose last summer when I dropped it putting it on the center stand in the drive way. It smashed the right front turn signal. This busted a tab in the upper fairing which I repaired with an auto epoxy.

Zed also started developing some carb issues too.

After my last Iron Butt ride, on the way home, I felt something hit my foot. I looked over and my turn signal was gone. We stopped and my repaired tab had given away, this meant I was looking at replacing the upper fairing (ouch). Zed was also barely running the carbs here shot.

Cutting to the chase, I’ve had the carbs rebuilt and it didn’t run right after that, they were rebuilt again and it still wasn’t right. I’ve been riding it with a jerry rigged right turn signal for a while now and contemplating what to do. These carb issues were killing me. The carbs are a bitch to work on (get to) and damnit I want to ride.

So I started looking for its replacement. I’ve wanted an FJR for a while but hated that pre-buy BS from Yamaha. That and the fact you can’t ride one of them.

While doing some searches one turned up new by me and I struck a deal and picked it up today. ?

I put 168 miles on it bringing it home and here are my thoughts.

A) I didn’t really jump on the FJR yet, but, there will be times I’m going to miss the power of Zed.

B) I like the Ergos, this will go well with me.

C) The seat, uhm, Corbin or something. Why do all stock seats blow? Why can’t they just make a better seat from the get go? I like the grip, I like the feel, but it’s too soft.

D) I really like the windscreen. But I *wish* in the down position it would be about an inch shorter. In the up position it needs to be an inch taller. I think that’s the case with about all adjustable windscreens. Zed’s Givi screen almost ruined Zed. It took too much air off your chest and with those ergo’s you need that to keep the weight off your arms. But the bike looked too stupid with those big bags and it was nicer to tuck behind now and then. Not sure what to do if anything here yet. Up isn’t up enough, and I’m Ok with down.

E) Handling, since the ergo’s have you sitting up, you’re not encouraged to move your but. You’re not encouraged to get on your feet where you need to be. It only took about 70 miles for me to find the left peg feeler. Zed was a hog and took some finesse to get him to turn but you could do it. I’m going to have to adjust my riding style a bit with the FJR and find a more aggressive position if I want so save some wear and tear on hard parts.

F) Smooth, man the FJR is smooth and Quiet. I like it that way. I don’t need loud pipes. Zed was quiet too, but the FJR is sweet. Smoot as a baby’s butt.

G) The extras are just a bonus, the power outlet (I’ll still add one or two more). I’ve already transferred my Gerbing connector and battery tender plug tonight.

H) Saddle bags. Nice but man after having the Keyless E41’s these things are tiny, and a stupid shape. They look good but they could hold a lot more. Keyless rules. All bags should have a flap on top.

I) Throttlemeister, Zed’s doesn’t fit. I’m going to need to get a fitment kit or something and I need something.

J) Gauges are good, dash is roomy. Designers and engineers take note, we’re going to mount stuff up there. So go ahead and give us 2 RAM mounts build in or a couple studs to use. I don’t know yet where I’m going to mount anything. Nothing immediately jumps out.

K) Highway pegs. 06 is different I understand, has anyone done this yet? I need to look around. No way this was possible on the ZX, but I’m going to consider this for the FJR.

fjr.jpg

Yeah, I did good, I’m going to like this bike.

You don't know how good and how much!

Welcome to the list, Renegade.

And check out our little get together (WFO) in Reno at the end of this month and come meet the hooligans.

Jim/fjrjonesing
I'd love too, but I'm headed up north to the BOA meet in Vermot with my dad and a couple of buds.

I do need to get out west (Ohio is home) and plan to do that next year.

Before you go playing with the windshield, look under the vendors. Skyway makes some spacers that fit under the "W" bracket that tilt the windshield back. Changing the angle allow more air under the 'shield and makes the top edge about 1" lower. You might like it, I do.

The Corbins for the FJR have been reported as "hard", you might check the competition.

On the '05, the clutch reservoir is drilled for a mirror, the brake reservoir must be drilled and tapped to receive a ball mount, or get the model that mounts through the clamp bolts.

It'll become habit to move the balls of your feet onto the pegs as you approach twisty roads.

Enjoy your new toy. And let's hope your S.O. enjoys it, too.

I suspect you will enjoy your new FJR. Out of the 78 bikes I've had it's about as close to purrfect, for me, as any of them. The shield needs to be bigger in the up position and the saddle needs to go, but...itzz one heck of a competant, high speed road burner. My '06 is significantly improved from my '03...especially the lack of engine heat!

Corbin saddles are "hard", but if your butt fits it you will be hard pressed to find a more comfy long distance saddle. On my '03 a Corbin went on and proved to be gr8 for long or short distances. The biggest problem I've had with all the Corbins I've had except the one on my '03 FJR is fit: their QC is lousy for proper dimensioning of the mounting parts to a bike. The seat shape and therefore support, for me, has been gr8.

Because of the complexity of mounting the 2 pc. '06 saddle I'm waiting until Sargent gets their version out. They have excellent fit, based on the ones I've had. Enjoy that big FJR! DFO :D

Excellent choice in bikes Renegade! As designeraccd wrote, this is most the perfect bike for me too! I am curious as to what you end up changing as I am going thru the same deal on my '06.

Shoot me an email and we should hook up...I live in Northern KY so maybe a trip to W. Va / Va coal mine roads could be in our future :clapping: !!!!

Pnut

From ZX-11 to FJR
zx11.jpg

What’s wrong with me, or how’d I get here?

It all started a couple years ago when my wife agreed out of the blue to that I could get a street bike. I’ve been riding one thing or another most of my life. But since we’d been married I’d been limited to dirt bikes and things less likely to kill.

I did some research. I wanted an R1 but that wasn’t really practical. I am after all a father of 5. If I put her on the back of an R1 my motorcycling career would soon be over. I didn’t want a Wing but I did want to do some traveling. I also didn’t have a lot of money at the time. As luck would have it, a buddy was selling a gently used 98 ZX-11

This was sporty enough for me, as tourable too. So I went for it.

I did my first Iron Butt ride around Lake Michigan man style, with some poor soft luggage, and a duffle bag strapped on the back. It was basically bone stock, the ride wasn’t terrible but I knew it could be better. I spent time, energy, effort and $. Pashnit was my hero. I added bar risers, and eventually Full Givi luggage… I loved my ride.

But adding the luggage brought problems too. Handling went to hell. The added luggage ruined the aero, and I’m not sure if it was weight, or just aero, but I picked up serious head shake with the luggage that wasn’t good. I chased that with a steering stabilizer as a quick fix. I toyed with retooling the entire suspension but stopped short of spending $2k for new suspenders.

I still rode it and still loved the awesome power. I didn’t mind the ergos that much. But it wasn’t a very good 2-up machine. I’m not as svelte as I used to be and neither is my wife. The passenger seat is a tad narrow or short and the passenger really slides into the driver on that bike even with the Corbin Gunfighter and Lady seat.

All hell broke loose last summer when I dropped it putting it on the center stand in the drive way. It smashed the right front turn signal. This busted a tab in the upper fairing which I repaired with an auto epoxy.

Zed also started developing some carb issues too.

After my last Iron Butt ride, on the way home, I felt something hit my foot. I looked over and my turn signal was gone. We stopped and my repaired tab had given away, this meant I was looking at replacing the upper fairing (ouch). Zed was also barely running the carbs here shot.

Cutting to the chase, I’ve had the carbs rebuilt and it didn’t run right after that, they were rebuilt again and it still wasn’t right. I’ve been riding it with a jerry rigged right turn signal for a while now and contemplating what to do. These carb issues were killing me. The carbs are a bitch to work on (get to) and damnit I want to ride.

So I started looking for its replacement. I’ve wanted an FJR for a while but hated that pre-buy BS from Yamaha. That and the fact you can’t ride one of them.

While doing some searches one turned up new by me and I struck a deal and picked it up today. ?

I put 168 miles on it bringing it home and here are my thoughts.

A) I didn’t really jump on the FJR yet, but, there will be times I’m going to miss the power of Zed.

B) I like the Ergos, this will go well with me.

C) The seat, uhm, Corbin or something. Why do all stock seats blow? Why can’t they just make a better seat from the get go? I like the grip, I like the feel, but it’s too soft.

D) I really like the windscreen. But I *wish* in the down position it would be about an inch shorter. In the up position it needs to be an inch taller. I think that’s the case with about all adjustable windscreens. Zed’s Givi screen almost ruined Zed. It took too much air off your chest and with those ergo’s you need that to keep the weight off your arms. But the bike looked too stupid with those big bags and it was nicer to tuck behind now and then. Not sure what to do if anything here yet. Up isn’t up enough, and I’m Ok with down.

E) Handling, since the ergo’s have you sitting up, you’re not encouraged to move your but. You’re not encouraged to get on your feet where you need to be. It only took about 70 miles for me to find the left peg feeler. Zed was a hog and took some finesse to get him to turn but you could do it. I’m going to have to adjust my riding style a bit with the FJR and find a more aggressive position if I want so save some wear and tear on hard parts.

F) Smooth, man the FJR is smooth and Quiet. I like it that way. I don’t need loud pipes. Zed was quiet too, but the FJR is sweet. Smoot as a baby’s butt.

G) The extras are just a bonus, the power outlet (I’ll still add one or two more). I’ve already transferred my Gerbing connector and battery tender plug tonight.

H) Saddle bags. Nice but man after having the Keyless E41’s these things are tiny, and a stupid shape. They look good but they could hold a lot more. Keyless rules. All bags should have a flap on top.

I) Throttlemeister, Zed’s doesn’t fit. I’m going to need to get a fitment kit or something and I need something.

J) Gauges are good, dash is roomy. Designers and engineers take note, we’re going to mount stuff up there. So go ahead and give us 2 RAM mounts build in or a couple studs to use. I don’t know yet where I’m going to mount anything. Nothing immediately jumps out.

K) Highway pegs. 06 is different I understand, has anyone done this yet? I need to look around. No way this was possible on the ZX, but I’m going to consider this for the FJR.

fjr.jpg

Careful young man.....they say the price of the Harley is a simple down payment on the accessories...I'm begining to feel that way about the FJR. If you can't find it in a store someone on this forum will make it for you, so go ahead and add it all...I am. :rolleyes:

Congradulations & Welcome! I don't understand what you are trying to say about the motor. The FJR has a 100 fp of torque by 3500 rpm. I would think it has more grunt down low than an ZX11. That might change at the top end. The FJR might be a lazier ride shifting wise. Any which way I think you will find the improvements verses the 11 dressed problems to your liking. TJ

Congradulations & Welcome! I don't understand what you are trying to say about the motor. The FJR has a 100 fp of torque by 3500 rpm. I would think it has more grunt down low than an ZX11. That might change at the top end. The FJR might be a lazier ride shifting wise. Any which way I think you will find the improvements verses the 11 dressed problems to your liking. TJ
They have about the same "reported" horse power. :) But you can feel a difference :) I don't know if it's in the drive train? small delay in the fuel injection response? The rapid acceleration factor of the ZX11 is certainly different. I wonder what their 1/4 mile times are ??

Don't get me wrong... I am not bitching or whining at all... I didn't buy the FJR for drag racing :) or wheelies, or even track days. I'll get something else for that. (shhhh in due time, don't let the wife know about that plan)

But you'd have to ride them back to back and feel it. They really aren't the same _class_ of bike anyway and we're not comparing apples to apples anyway. I tried to make Zed be that class of bike, and it's a reasonabley good single sport tourer, even a good 2-up bike if your pillion is a midget or a stripper w/o gear.

I don't expect the FJR to keep up with a well tuned ZX-11.

-MD

They have about the same "reported" horse power. :) But you can feel a difference :) I don't know if it's in the drive train? small delay in the fuel injection response? The rapid acceleration factor of the ZX11 is certainly different. I wonder what their 1/4 mile times are ??

Don't get me wrong... I am not bitching or whining at all... I didn't buy the FJR for drag racing :) or wheelies, or even track days. I'll get something else for that. (shhhh in due time, don't let the wife know about that plan)

But you'd have to ride them back to back and feel it. They really aren't the same _class_ of bike anyway and we're not comparing apples to apples anyway. I tried to make Zed be that class of bike, and it's a reasonabley good single sport tourer, even a good 2-up bike if your pillion is a midget or a stripper w/o gear.

I don't expect the FJR to keep up with a well tuned ZX-11.

-MD
Trust me, a well tuned ZX-11 will feast on an FJR. Being the proud owner of an 04 FJR and a 02 ZRX1200R, whose motor comes from the ZX-11, I can unequivocally state that.

Equivalent horsepower/torque, but the FJR is gravitationally challenged by about 100 pounds. Physics doesn't lie.

The 11 is chain driven...right? That would make quite a difference.
Yes it is.
Yep, though I don't think there is a 100lb difference in the ZX11 <> FJR, might be between ZRX, the nakeder counterpart. I know the shaft east some of it up.

I don't see this as all that bad. Like I said there are times I'll miss it, but most of the time it will help to keep me out of trouble ;)

A friend of mine is going out today any buying a zx11 that has 12k miles on it. Mind if I ping you on some info to get him started down the right track? Is there a forum for the ZX11 that is decent? Great post! I was going to ask if anyone had some experience withthe zx11, but the search function found this post :)

How are you liking your FJR now?

Congrats! Next time I am up in Cincinnati, we can

1) Go eat a couple bowls of chili,

2) Then ride up to Mt Adams for a beer (BTW, after the chili, I'll lead :D :D )!

Best Regards,

Shane

I moved from a '93 ZX-11 to an '06 FJR1300A.

I very much like the touring amenities on the FJR. However, do not expect an improvement in performance, smoothness or reliability; the ZX-11 is IMHO very close to perfect in those departments. I find the FJR's suspension to be a bit softer, but the feel of the two bikes is quite similar.

The biggest difference is more top hamper on the FJR.

Ken C

Hell Yeah, I agree I came from a ZRX w/ Givi bags, and the Yamaha side cases suck moist ass cheese....

More than once I've debated getting rid of them damn factory bags & mounting E41's... Peter Hoovegeen did just that in his IBR Ride... Tempting Tempting Tempting (sorry, no Picts handy)

-bvw.

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend of mine is going out today any buying a zx11 that has 12k miles on it. Mind if I ping you on some info to get him started down the right track? Is there a forum for the ZX11 that is decent? Great post! I was going to ask if anyone had some experience withthe zx11, but the search function found this post :)
How are you liking your FJR now?

No problem, there is a board, though it's been renamed to the ZZR1220 board.

I just did a 2400 mile trip and really am enjoying the FJR.

Need a seat though. :)