Front end dive at stops

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2005 FJR Scott

Reaction score
Hello,

My FJR seems to ride  and handle quite nicely. However, when I come to a stop, the front end dives. What can I do to lessen that?

I assume you have factory stock front fork innards?

Have you played around with front fork adjustment parameters - compression, rebound and damping?  That would be a good start.  Check your owners manual for suggestions for a starting point.  Depending on your weight and bike loading, you can adjust from there.  Sometimes, going to a higher viscosity fork oil can help - might not hurt to change it anyway and have a look at the springs while you are at it.  Unlikely, but there is a possibility that one is broken.   Some people go with aftermarket complete innards (including valving) and others just go with an aftermarket spring with a higher spring rate.  I had Hyperpro springs in my 2007 but my (used) 2011 came with a full Traxxion Dynamics setup - very nice.

If you don't have an owners manual, you can download one from here:

YAMAHA Owner's Manual Library (ymcapps.net)

Yes, the bike is completely stock. I will try more adjustments but I’ve noticed that they were already as tight as they can be. 

The bike came with an owner’s manual  and FSM so I’m planning to remove the forks and service them. 

I do plan on upgrading the innards as well.

If I can keep my arse off the seat long enough……………

I assume you have factory stock front fork innards?

Have you played around with front fork adjustment parameters - compression, rebound and damping?  That would be a good start. 
Upon further inspection, I found that the spring pre-load was set at full soft. Moving it to #4 slot pretty much fixed the dive.

It was the rebound damping force clicker that’s was full tight. 

This bike has a heck of a lot of adjustments compared to the Hardly Ablesons I used to ride.

My 4 hour super slab ride was quite enjoyable today.

Thanks for the help.