Front Tires and front end decel shake

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BT 020 no shake when new....started to slight shake/shimmy around 6000 kms, only on decel. ....not an issue for me as I ride with my hands on the bars. :winksmiley02:

Last edited by a moderator:
BT020 - no shake (new) 15,000 KL, Azaro's - shake from new 12,000 KL couldn't get rid of it, Pilot roads - no shake till nail in tire 10.000 Kl, back to Azaro's - shake from new, again no getting rid of it, worse as the tires aged 10.000 kl (Split in tire caused by glass), current set Dunlop Sportmax D220's. Three different tire installers, too many variables... 5 sets in five years. Daily commuter 75% flat lander, 25% aggresive weekend rider for what it's worth.

ME4 oem no shake till they were cords. Pilot Roads no hands off shake at 45 but could never get front balanced and it shook up and down at 95-110 really bad. Avon Azaros always shook at 45 at 42psi but got less if you increased tire pressure. All Azaros got removed early. Pilot Powers no shake at any speed ever and most fun but short lived tires I ever had. (I may start putting a PP front on all the time) Strada's had the worst shake ever started at new and progressively got worse. Finally got so bad I replaced front with M1. M1 has very light shake at 45 only all other speeds are good. Noted for the first time tonight when I was turning my brake rotor was not making a steady sound against the pad it had the swish swish swish of a slightly warped or uneven rotor. So now I don't know if it is the brakes or the tires.

I have a question for all you shakers.

Do you use a lot of engine braking when you ride? I've had BT020s (briefly) Z6's, (till they wore out) and now BT021s and have never had any shaking. But I don't use hard engine braking and virtually never the rear brake in the twisties and wonder if the lack of loading on the front tire when you're slowing with a lot of engine braking or rear braking contributes to the shaking. My normal commute involves a lot of riding in traffic at 40-60, too and I've never had any headshake there either, although I use a bit more rear brake for that kind of riding.

BT 20 no shake

Avon Stoms Shaked, from 0-2500 miles when I trashed them

Shinko 009 Ravens no shake ever, around 2000 miles now.

Bob

From the data collected here, It looks to me that the tires and their state of condition is what is causing headshake - if you get any at all. There may be a few other variables (suspension or nut torque, but they seem to be in the minority).

Most fingers point to a defective or worn front tire.

Any dissenters on that statement?

Diablo Stradas - No shake new, shake when rear changed 3.5k miles later. Doubtful that it's anymore more than just wear.

Storms when new - no shake lotsa grip

Storms 85% worn - rear still great, front badly cupped on 1 side and bad shake

From the data collected here, It looks to me that the tires and their state of condition is what is causing headshake - if you get any at all. There may be a few other variables (suspension or nut torque, but they seem to be in the minority).

You call this science? Where'd you go to school? Auburn?

First of all, I'm not torqued about anything. :fuck: Second of all, I firmly believe that claims of defective tires are way, way overstated as never, ever has any tire outside of those splitting Z4's & 6's been proven to be defective.

Wear can cause it, mis-set suspension can cause it, under-inflated tires, sure. More likely the culprit is a whiney rider...

:bleh:

Negative, there TWN. Who, implies a person. We are speaking of Fencer, thus that, implying a thing.

Negative, there TWN. Who, implies a person. We are speaking of Fencer, thus that, implying a thing.
You tryin to effect my low self esteem? :p

Things have feelings too. Why just the other day this rock was telling me how someone stepped on it. :D

Wierd I clicked edit (i thought)... To my previous statement I would add that if you ride your front tire with too low of a pressure you are going to distort it and this will be most notable when you finally get your lazy ass off the couch and put some air in the tire. :) IMO this is the main cause of front tire damage

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=12pt]*OEM Z-6 (front) no shake up to 6500 miles. After 6500 miles shake got progressively worse. Replaced @ 8200, exceeded wear bar limit, cupped badly, shaking like Tina Turner on acid![/SIZE]

*Shinko Raven 009 (front) no shake, but had a 400-500 mile break in period. (vague turn-in issues) All is well now @ 3100 miles.

That is all.