Front wheel buzzing sound...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azitlies

Reaction score
This sound is baffling me.

Only (as far as I know) happens when stopped and moving the bike around. Sometimes the wheel is turned sometimes straight. Lasts for a second or two then stops. Only to do it again a second or two later...

The sound is distinct, it's not muffled. It kind of sounds like when kids put baseball cards (with clothespins) on the spokes of their bicycles. Or kind of like when the speedo cable on older cars, when the cable attached directly to the back of the speedometer. Sometimes those cables would go bad and make an odd noise.

It's kind of a fast whirring / buzzing noise.

What in the wide wide world of sports makes a noise like that up in the front? It only happens when the wheel is turning (of course), but it's not consistent, so it has to be something up there...

any ideas anyone? thanks.

debris hiding between the fender and tire???

Just 4 screws hold the fender in place. I'd start there.

debris hiding between the fender and tire???

Just 4 screws hold the fender in place. I'd start there.
That's a thought, I'll check that. This has been happening for quite a while. Doesn't sound like something that is really serious but! if it actually were a cable rubbing (which is kind of what it sounds like), that could be serious.

just tired of hearing it at this point and trying to figure it out.

thanks will look more closely at that right now.

Interesting, I get the same thing, but only when I'm backing the bike into the garage with the wheel turned.
yup! that's it! glad to hear someone else gets to experience this too! hahahhaha

Mine has to be walked into the garage in a corner. It's when walking it in and out, wheel turned (mostly, sometimes straight), when I hear it.

Just looked at everything very carefully and still don't see anything odd. *maybe* it has something to do with the ABS? or it *could* be a bearing going bad?

What do you think Flyer? anything to worry about?

Oh SHIT! Your FJR is about to BLOW UP! That is the timer of the auto self-destruct mechanism! Only so much of that buzzing before *KA-BOOM*!!!!

RUN AWAY! Do NOT walk, but RUN, RUN, RUN!!!

I'd get the front wheel off the ground then manually spin it with handlebars left, center, right.

Should be easy to isolate noise source.

Then run like hell! :lol:

hahahaha you guyz is too funny ;)

we may not fix it... but we're gonna laugh no matters what!! ;)

yeah that was the next step, off the ground, will do that tomorrow and report back, if there's anything to say ;)

if you don't hear from me... that means it blew up!!!! :lol:

Don't youse guys know you're never supposed to rotate your wheels backwards? +1 on jacking it up and spinning the wheel.....

Its been that way pretty much since I got it, about 40K miles ago. If something bad hasn't happened yet, don't think it will. And I don't ride backwards too often. :p

Well, tried the lifting etc, no go. Didn't make any noise.

That's the thing, it's sporadic.

Good to know it's not just my bike Flyer :) Think I'm going to put it aside and move on to more pressing things. We'll have to remember to update this thread if anyone figures it out...

is your front tire flat spotted? I noticed that with my oem front tire that was flat spotted, put on a PR2 and it quit until it too got flat spotted. As far as I can tell, it's the ridges of tread along the edge of the flat spot hitting the floor. I think when the wheel is turned, it leans over and rides on that ridge. Try running your hand along the tire to feel the ridges. Ever push a dirt bike with knobbies around on concrete? Same thing I think. I don't know for sure, just my 2c

Last edited by a moderator: