Front Wheel removal on Gen 1?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airportcop

Reaction score
When removing the front wheel for a tire change on a Gen 1, how does one loosen the axle bolt after loosening the pinch bolt? What type of tool is needed? Is it necessary to remove the brake caliper to remove the front wheel? First time tire changer here. Thank you.

You can use a 5/8 spark plug socket put on the extension backwards or the hex tool in the factory tool kit. Don't remember which one, but there aren't that many choices in the bag.

FJR Tech is great resource. And yes you must remove the calipers, and I find it easier to remove the fender.

Here's some pics for ya that I just posted up a few weeks ago. CLICKY It includes a pic showing how to hang the calipers, though it's not actually necessary. Don't be afraid of it, it's all pretty straight forward. Pay close attention to the little things and take your time, you'll be surprised how easy it is.

A couple minor items: when removing the calipers, once they come all the way out and hit the rims, you've got to wiggle them a little to get them to let go of/slide off the disks, but they will wiggle out of there. That's one of the very first things you'll be doing. Also, you might wanna place the center stand up on a length of 1x4 to get a little extra clearance for rolling the front tire out from under the fender once you pull out the axle.

Also if you find the brake pads are wearing unevenly, you might consider swapping them. The front pads are interchangeable. I did this at 20k miles as mine were wearing unevenly, and now at nearly 40k miles, they've worn themselves back to being just about flat and straight... they've evened out. The "swap" worked.

Love your signature line, by the way.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
When removing the front wheel for a tire change on a Gen 1, how does one loosen the axle bolt after loosening the pinch bolt? What type of tool is needed? Is it necessary to remove the brake caliper to remove the front wheel? First time tire changer here. Thank you.
All detailed at the website we link to on the forum...FJRTech.net.

I'd recommend using a thin sheet of material to protect the wheel rim as you remove/install the brake calipers. You'll need to wiggle the calipers a bit to free the brake pads from the discs. With a protective sheet between the rim and caliper you can be a bit more aggressive without concern for marring the rim.

I'd recommend using a thin sheet of material to protect the wheel rim as you remove/install the brake calipers. You'll need to wiggle the calipers a bit to free the brake pads from the discs. With a protective sheet between the rim and caliper you can be a bit more aggressive without concern for marring the rim.
Good thinking, Mesh. Essentially, what that gentle prying does... is separate the pads slightly to allow the calipers to be removed; I wish Yammie would have added an additional 1/8 inch of clearance here. Oh well.

Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thinking, Mesh. Essentially, what that gentle prying does... is separate the pads slightly to allow the calipers to be removed; I wish Yammie would have added an additional 1/8 inch of clearance here. Oh well.
Then get yourself a set of 2003 forks and rotors. I'm glad they beefed up the rotor size they did in 2004 and think there's plenty of room to rotors on and off. Did it for probably the 15th time last night and no marks after wiggling the pads apart a bit.

I've never marked up my wheels, and I am not the most gentle guy around. Let's just say you wouldn't want me to be your proctologist.

...separate the pads slightly to allow the calipers to be removed; I wish Yammie would have added an additional 1/8 inch of clearance here...
Airport' has a little advantage getting the calipers off because the rotors are a tiny bit smaller. Also has a little advantage when putting the wheel back on because he doesn't have to fiddle with the ABS ring, trying to get the tab on the fork aligned with the slots on the ABS ring as well as one less thing to hold in place when putting that axle back in.