• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FS - McCruise Cruise Control for Gen 2 AE (should also work for 'A' models)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABQFJR

Reaction score
SOLD SOLD SOLD

I'm in the process of defarkling my FJR for sale and am wanting to gauge forum interest on this unit before I remove it. If nobody wants it, I may just leave it on the bike to try to boost the sale price a bit.

Anyway, it's the latest and greatest McCruise system for the FJR1300AE, with the "new" software they came out with last year. From everything I've read, it should work on the 'A' models as well, with the only omission being that you won't be able to deactivate the cruise with the clutch... not a big deal since the unit will turn off when it senses the RPM changes associated with a shift using its tie-in to the ignition coils. I currently have an email in to McCruise to confirm this.

I installed it myself in December. Since then, I've put less than 500 miles on the bike. Regarding the installation, I must say I did an amazing job! I'm also extremely humble. Anyway, the unit works flawlessly. I will remove it with the same level of care, precision, and attention to detail with which it was installed. The unit is perfect in every conceivable way, save for a very small mark on the vacuum actuator from rubbing on the inside of the right fairing panel (pix below). Despite my professionalism and extreme attention to detail, I wasn't able to completely prevent this rubbing from occurring. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Everything is included, including all three manuals and spare wheel magnets. I'll also throw in a fistful of zip-ties and the required shrink wrap pieces which I used during my installation (new ones, of course).

Right now, the shipped price of one of these from the Aussies is $1071.40 AUD, which, as of today, 3/2/2014, converts to $956.76 USD.

I think I could let it go for $800. Anyone interested?

IMG_1056.JPG

IMG_1057.JPG

Untitled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE:

I have received an email back from Frank at McCruise, and he has confirmed that this unit WILL INDEED WORK with the 'A' (standard shift) model FJR. It is recommended the unit be installed on 2008-2012 bikes, due to the reverse-snail throttle cams on the 2006 and 2007 models. Also, the warranty TRANSFERS WITH THE CRUISE CONTROL TO THE NEW OWNER! Note, the clutch wire is NOT REQUIRED, but can be added on rather simply. The system will function fine without it. It's simply another safety interlock. Finally, the control pad does mount on the right, but it works fine on that side. I've had no trouble activating the cruise with my right thumb while holding the throttle open.

See relevant details from his email below:

"Warranty will go with the cruise control.

The cruise will fit the manual shift, and all it needs to make the clutch switch sensor work is a wire added to the harness (something the new owner or you can do, we can supply the appropriate wire) for a few $.

The control switch is probably better on the left side, but will fit on the right. Again we can supply that if the new owner wants it.

A complete new left side switch assembly with a suitable mounting bracket is about $120.

A new switch housing, keypad and left side mounting bracket are about $55. The switch would have to be disassembled and the Circuit board removed from the existing housing and fitted to a new one. This is not a difficult job.

Your instructions plus a couple of extra page for the manual shift will be fine. We can email whatever is needed.

This kit will fit all FJR1300’s from 2006.

Note that the 2006 and 2007 models have different throttle bodies, and the cruise performance is not as good on them as later models (2008 on). We actually have specific software for the 2006 and 2007 models to cope with the issues. The performance is not as good, but it is as good as we can make it."

Talk to me, Goose. Someone's gotta want this thing!

I had the McCruise on my 2005. Best farkle I ever put on the bike. It worked great. If you dont have cruise. This ones the best in my opinion.

ed

If I had $750 lying around I'd buy it. Then I could have you come over and I'd give you cold beers while helping you install it...However...I have $750 dumb reasons why that ain't gonna happen. GLWS!

Zilla, I agree, it's a lot of money. You've probably got some time to scrape it together if you're really interested... I don't sense much interest so far.

Also, since I wouldn't have to ship it, I could knock off a few more bucks. I'd also be happy to install it for ya.

Going through the removal process today... should have the cruise ready to ship to its new buyer (or to put on Zilla's bike) by this evening.

I can't do it boys. Sorry...As much as I want to. I'm actually having to move a horse because money is tighter than it should be. We like a good cushion and for some reason we're getting into it. Not good!!

No worries, Zilla. Your first post was pretty clear... mostly I was just kidding around... but I was serious with my installation offer.

Anyhow, the cruise control has been removed from the bike and is ready to ship to the first person who coughs up the $750. Somebody has got to want to add the greatest FJR farkle ever to their bike!
thumbsup.gif

Man I was really thinking about this. A nice ride from Austin to ALbq then some install time. Then use the cruise all the way back to Austin. I was good all the way up to the response regarding 2006 and 2007 and special software. Nuts.

Man I was really thinking about this. A nice ride from Austin to ALbq then some install time. Then use the cruise all the way back to Austin. I was good all the way up to the response regarding 2006 and 2007 and special software. Nuts.
Graler,

I'm fairly certain you can avoid the need for special software by changing your throttle tube to a G2 tamer. From what I understand, the cruise control has difficulty controlling the throttle at smaller throttle openings on the 2006-07 models due to the reverse snail cam on the throttle tube on the bikes from these years. I'll shoot an email to McCruise to confirm this.

will this cruise control fit the gen I?
Mavrik,

No, I'm sorry. It's for Gen 2 bikes only.

Hi Graler,

The McCruise works perfect on my 07, also know of a few other owners with it installed.

Somewhere on the Aussie Forum, a member had his software upgraded, he didn't have to.

It all works perfectly, most of the functions / parameters can be programed into the McCruise via the buttons, all the parameters work well straight out of the box.

You can also fine tune the system if you wish.

I just received an email back from Frank at McCruise. I was wrong... the goofy throttle cam is on the throttle body itself on the 06-07 models, so changing to a G2 tube wouldn't help my cruise unit work any better on the 06-07 models.

Ken, is the McCruise you have installed designed specifically for your year of bike? I only ask because according to McCruise, they actually program the computer differently for 06-07 models.

As well as this thing works on my bike, however, I can't see how it wouldn't function adequately on an 06 or 07 bike, even with a snatchier throttle. The choice is ultimately up to whoever ends up buying the unit from me.

By the way, here it is in all its glory... the complete kit!

IMG_1101.JPG

Yep I had the dreaded 06 / 07 fueling problem AND a crook ECU (High Altitude Surge problem) AND the PO had the McCruise installed by a total idiot.

I knew the problems as soon as I took the bike out for a test ride.

First thing I did after I rode it 1300 kms home was to disconnect the cruise and fixed the throttle issues.

After the issues were fixed, I rerouted the cables, CIU and vacuum tubes, one vacuum valve was also installed the wrong way around.

I had to follow the setup procedures in chapter 9, now works a treat.

Even if the bike has a snatchy throttle, you can adjust the "throttle pull" and Gain of the McCruise.

2 of my riding mates have the McCruise on their 06's and know of several others on the forum that don't have any problems.

Thanks, Ken. That's great info for anyone considering buying this.

I'm open to reasonable offers, folks. Somebody has to want this kit.