fuel burn/gas mileage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustHoward

Reaction score
I recently completed my first thousand mile trip on my '08 FJR and noticed significant differences in the fuel burn with small changes in road speed. Has anybody ever done a good study of expected fuel burn at various highway speeds?

Howard

I recently completed my first thousand mile trip on my '08 FJR and noticed significant differences in the fuel burn with small changes in road speed. Has anybody ever done a good study of expected fuel burn at various highway speeds?
Howard
Not that I know of. Seems like too many variables. Fuel quality, wind resistnace, shield position, ignition/fuel mapping due to ambient conditions..

Too many unknowns, IMHO...

On the highway, the main factor is speed, since wind resistance rises to the square of speed. I usually ride at an indicated 75 and get around 42 mpg. I know I could get close to 50 mpg if I just rode the speed limit, but what's the fun in that?

There's a relation and IF ...

...the bike is a stock 2007, IF it has a VStream, IF the road's level, IF near sea level like us, IF the windscreen is kept in the mid position that I tend to use during winter...

I get low 60's at 50 mph (typ about 63 mpg) and low 40s at 70. Continuously changing speed to get the same average speed can knock off as much as 5 mpg.

The position of the VStream alone can make a nearly 2 mpg difference at 60 with it all the way up vs all the way down, and more difference as the speed goes faster. Commuting, my average is about 48-49.

Latest posts