Fuel Economy Map for Power Commander V

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSaul

Reaction score
I recently added the holeshot headers and PCV to the mix. I had the bike dyno tuned. Bike runs amazing and much cooler. The problem if it is such my fuel economy took a hit. At best I get 150 miles to a tank and that is pushing it.

I am looking for a fuel economy map before I start playing with maps. I added the PCV map switch so I could keep what I am calling a performance map and use the ECO map when doing distance riding where mileage per tank counts. I already have an aux tank but like it for extending my distance or emergency reserve when riding out west or in Canada.

I have thought about trying the Dynojet zero map but know there has to be a balance somewhere between performance and ECO and the bike not being too lean which is my concern with the zero map.

Interesting. Can you quantify the cooler running? Running rich will reduce combustion temps.

Consider picking up an autotune, and experimenting. If you want better fuel economy you're going to have to lean it out. Excessively lean has its own set of problems you won't want.

I also had the Autotune with a LCD200.

I could make, store, and run with any map the Autotune came up with for on my own bike to suit any riding conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of maps are way too rich at highway speeds. I had a map on my PCV with AT that got 150 miles per tank. Leaning it out in the 15-40% throttle range from 3000 - 5000 rpm made a huge difference in mileage with minimal loss in driveability.

If you want the best results for your bike, get an Autotune and set some targets. Lean it out in the highway area until you don't like the drivability.

I have thought about trying the Dynojet zero map but know there has to be a balance somewhere between performance and ECO and the bike not being too lean which is my concern with the zero map.
I think you're misunderstanding the "zero" map. All the zero map is is the PC-V, not making any changes at all to your ECU's settings. Numbers +/- in each column are percentages, up or down, of the ECU's original mapping at specified throttle positions. A mass of too low negative numbers can make the bike run too lean. A mass of too high positives can make it run too rich. A mass of zeros would mean you're not making any changes at all.
It helps to read up on those things to understand them. They seem like magic and wizardry, but once you understand how they work, they're not crazy difficult.Good luck!!