Fuel fill up question ...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"All her bikes .... "? Why have I never met any such woman in all my years?

I believe that he is married to a unicorn ... I've heard of such a woman but believed it to be folklore ... The stuff of legend ...

Lucky man ... She may be the last of her kind ...

Last edited by a moderator:
She is a real (very, very expensive) woman, but she loves to ride. That means I get to ride along.

I ran out of gas twice in the Gen 1. Once I coasted into the station (2.5 miles down hill in the Ozarks), and the other I had to wait for a buddy to ride 1/2 mile down the road and borrow a can. Both times, I put 6.6 gallons in the tank with the bike on the side stand.

I've put 6.4 in the Gen III. Guess that's close enough.

Actually thought of this thread earlier today at the end of a ride. I've always pulled up to either side of the pump, side stand, dismount and fuel. But because I read this I thought, "Hmm, let's see" and went for the fill-up while sitting astride. Of course in order to do this you need to pull close enough to the pump to reach the card slot and little keypad. Fail. Too far. But now close enough that I end up kicking the pump as I swing my leg over getting off. Next realized that I now only have a few inches of space between the bike and the curbing so I'm twisting my feet about as I turn between pump and tank. Lastly had to step up onto the island before swinging my leg back over getting on, careful not to hear the embarrassing thunk from kicking the pump again. Cursed you guys the whole time.

Actually thought of this thread earlier today at the end of a ride. I've always pulled up to either side of the pump, side stand, dismount and fuel. But because I read this I thought, "Hmm, let's see" and went for the fill-up while sitting astride. Of course in order to do this you need to pull close enough to the pump to reach the card slot and little keypad. Fail. Too far. But now close enough that I end up kicking the pump as I swing my leg over getting off. Next realized that I now only have a few inches of space between the bike and the curbing so I'm twisting my feet about as I turn between pump and tank. Lastly had to step up onto the island before swinging my leg back over getting on, careful not to hear the embarrassing thunk from kicking the pump again. Cursed you guys the whole time.
A least you didn't catch your foot as you rode off
ohno-smiley02.gif

1) I pull up with the pump on the right.

2) Lower side stand, hold front brake, dismount.

3) Put bike on center stand.

4) Move around to right side and fill tank. I find it easier to manipulate the pump handle and hose if I have both hands free and while standing next to the bike.

5) If anything happens (pump handle sticks, a minor spill, etc.) I can manage it much easier than if I am sitting on the bike.

6) I always take the opportunity to do a "walk-around" and make sure everything is in order (all luggage handles locked, nothing that needs attention). I may clean the mirrors and/or the windshield during this time.

7) I adjust what is necessary with my riding gear (gloves, jacket zippers, helmet, etc.).

8) Remount and take off.

The only bike that I've owned that I filled on the side stand was my 1968 Harley-Davidson XLCH Sportster. It didn't have a center stand and with a 2 1/4 gallon tank it got filled in a few seconds.

Dan

Sidestand. If I need that extra little dribble, I'm cutting it too close.

BTW, Any body else feel the strongest need to pee when you're fueling?

When you get to my age, you have the strongest need to pee long before you need fuel.
If there's enough interest, I'll attempt a split off from a NEPRt.... lol

:)

When you get to my age, you have the strongest need to pee long before you need fuel.

:)
But it's all relevant, it's another reason for getting off, using the side stand (it's quicker than using the centre stand) and a mad dash for the necessaries. Afterwards as you fuel the bike, that all-encompassing feeling of relief means the last thing on your mind is whether or not you can get a few more millilitres in if you had it on the centre stand. Which you can't ;) .

smile.png
But it's all relevant, it's another reason for getting off, using the side stand (it's quicker than using the centre stand) and a mad dash for the necessaries. Afterwards as you fuel the bike, that all-encompassing feeling of relief means the last thing on your mind is whether or not you can get a few more millilitres in if you had it on the centre stand. Which you can't
wink.png
^^^^^ Yes, true all. But -- this is no longer a FILL UP topic; now it's a LET OUT topic. Split off how long can you ride on one output (without Depend-able assistance or devices)
laugh.png

I live about 30 miles north of Seattle, otherwise known as the most liberal city north of San Francisco. If you fill up anywhere within 50 miles of the I-5 corridor near Seattle you will get to use those hose nozzles that take two hands to deal with. If you get real close to the filling tube you might be able to pull back that great big piece of rubber (?) so you can actually see what is going into your tank. My suggestion is to fill up a considerable distance away from the Emerald City and not suck in anymore fumes than necessary.

What a great thread, I guess I'm easily entertained. A lot of you, like me, must not have anything better to do than write this dribble.

I believe that he is married to a unicorn ... I've heard of such a woman but believed it to be folklore ... The stuff of legend ...
Lucky man ... She may be the last of her kind ...
I have 3 bikes, nice to meet you!
Back on topic, I fill up while on the bike and don't recall having any urge to pee. But if you do need facilities, filling on the bike allows a quick scoot over to a regular parking space - I prefer not to block pump access if I'm gonna run inside.

I fill on the side stand always, with the pump on my left whenever possible. And I always get off the bike to do it. A bad back with bulging discs can use the relief and stretch every time. Plus it keeps me in practice of putting down the side stand and double checking it before allowing the bike to lean over. Hence I have never ever ever dropped a bike, any bike, b/c the side stand was not properly deployed.

Rationalization aside, I guess it's really just how I learned to do it b/c in the old days, back when gas was $0.25-0.29/gal, a quick ride into a gas station on less-than-street-legal bikes: a) required seat, cover, etc. removal to add fuel, and 2) all had side stands and none had center stands. So it's still the way I do it.

1) I pull up with the pump on the right.2) Lower side stand, hold front brake, dismount.

3) Put bike on center stand.

4) Move around to right side and fill tank. I find it easier to manipulate the pump handle and hose if I have both hands free and while standing next to the bike.

5) If anything happens (pump handle sticks, a minor spill, etc.) I can manage it much easier than if I am sitting on the bike.

6) I always take the opportunity to do a "walk-around" and make sure everything is in order (all luggage handles locked, nothing that needs attention). I may clean the mirrors and/or the windshield during this time.

7) I adjust what is necessary with my riding gear (gloves, jacket zippers, helmet, etc.).

8) Remount and take off.

The only bike that I've owned that I filled on the side stand was my 1968 Harley-Davidson XLCH Sportster. It didn't have a center stand and with a 2 1/4 gallon tank it got filled in a few seconds.

Dan
I fuel up exactly this way.... funny, I've never owned a street bike that did not have a center-stand and I rarely use the side-stand. To each his own I guess. Funny the wide range of techniques for something we all do so frequently.

Mr. BR

) side stand

2) Im at lazy slob

3) dont care as the FJR has way more range than any bike ive ever had so im happy.

1) Do you fuel your bike while it's on the sidestand or the center stand?

neither sidestand nor center stand. I stay on my bike.
and bike stays straight, just by security I open the sidestand.

neither

2) Why?

Due to time constraints, I doesn't take the time to go down bike, and put it on the center stand

3) Do you think it makes any significant difference in the amount of fuel you can put into the tank?

yes, when bike is straight, I can put more than one liter on the tank, and is was the same with my others bike.