fuel range

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have put 5500 miles on my 07 since May 1 st and it now getting between 46 and 48 mpg during my daily commuting to work. That was calculated from miles/amout of gas to refill tank. I find that the built in MPG computer is only off +/- 2 MPG. I am easily getting 250 miles before I start looking for a gas station.

I'll ring in at 44-46MPG with 91 Octane and PCIII with Stock map and Stock '05FJR on Pilot Roads. Not bad I think. I wish that some of the above posts would say Octane, PCIII or not, and Cans or not, and Tires too. In my opinion these all make a difference.

I'll ring in at 44-46MPG with 91 Octane and PCIII with Stock map and Stock '05FJR on Pilot Roads. Not bad I think. I wish that some of the above posts would say Octane, PCIII or not, and Cans or not, and Tires too. In my opinion these all make a difference.
All but the octane would/should make a difference. The Feejer doesn't have a knock sensor, hence no timing retard, so octane wouldn't affect mileage to any degree.

Last weekend I hit the flash bars at 220 miles which has about the norm since PCIII AND a real good TBS. Mileage jumped about 2 mpg after the TBS. PCIII by itself didn't do much, maybe a slight drop. Stock I would show 44 mpg, after 46 mpg. When I gps averaged 76 mph on a trip which had spurts of 90-110 and 60 miles of hard twisties I was down to 38-39 mpg. On another trip where I averaged about 50 mph and seldom went over 70 mph, I was getting 55 mpg. IMO, the brand of gas (actually the lot you purchase) will make more difference than octane when it comes to mileage. Maybe its the additives, maybe its how long it sets in the tank, who knows.

I went 300 on 6 gallons when riding up and down all the mountains in Colorado. Try keeping it below 85 mph for excellent fuel mileage. B)

This is a bit of a tangent, but I'm curious about the variations with odometers from bike to bike and model to model. I have an '07 & just did a SS1k. When I got to my destination, the gps showed 1026 miles, and the trip meter & odometer showed 1138. I was shocked that they were that close given that my average miles per gallon was up around 47. I suspected that my mpg was up because I've worn at least half of the tread off the front tire: decreased circumference = spinning faster = inflated fuel efficiency. I checked by doing the math at the pump using the trip meter & was also shocked that my avg mpg reading was very very close to being right. (I did do a tbs & put in the iridium plugs & ran a tankful of injector cleaner through it before taking off, so that might have helped.) Do people see variations in the mpg over the lifetime of the tire & lifetime of the bike? As they both age, do the numbers get wackier?

I just filled up a couple of days ago; 260 on the trip meter, I was about 8 miles positive into the reserve, and filled the tank (to the very brink) with 5.3 gallons. Assuming, true 6.6 gallon tank capacity, 300 miles should have been easily doable. Most of these miles were below 60 mph in mixed riding, though very little stop and go.
Just got done with a 700 mile trip in the White Mountains of N.H. Got high 40's in the mountains, on the trip back home I was at 222 miles and put 4.9 gallons in to refill. Just curious, what do you refer to as the "brink"? Is that to where the gas just hit the botton of the little sleeve in the tank or do you continue to fill past that another inch or so to the top of the actual tank? That would seem messy and hard to fill to that point...

By brink I mean just to the fill baffle. If you jiggle the tank slightly you can add a couple ounces more (I just use this action to round my purchase to the next $.50 or $1.00). There is/was an old thread somewhere about removing the baffle and being able to get an extra half gallon of gas in the tank (for some of the long distance riders) but that was only recommended if you were going to ride a distance far enough to use enough gas so as not risk expansion and overflow. (I never fill to the point of defeating the air gap designed to provide expansion relief in the case of a full tank and a hot day.)

Octane makes no difference whatsoever. Nor will cans, as they are not the restriction - the catalytic converter is. I don't see how different brands of tires will change anything either, assuming you stay in the sport-touring category. Tire pressure could definitely make a difference, however, albeit a very small one.

My 04 in stock form got in the high 40s. When I farkled with th PCIII and Holeshots, fuel mile went down approximately 15% to the low 40s.

From my experience, the average high speed someone runs at can make a significant difference in fuel mileage. Say 65 vs 85. Around here, I have also notices seasonal changes. Whether that's because the seasonal changes in the blend of gas or colder weather/running, I don't know.

I'll say it now, as I have said it a million times before - ELEVATION, or more properly density altitude makes a HUGE difference in fuel mileage. The less air, the less resistance. I have always obtained my high mileage tanks (high 40s to low 50s) at higher eleveations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Octane makes no difference whatsoever. Nor will cans, as they are not the restriction - the catalytic converter is. I don't see how different brands of tires will change anything either, assuming you stay in the sport-touring category. Tire pressure could definitely make a difference, however, albeit a very small one.

My 04 in stock form got in the high 40s. When I farkled with th PCIII and Holeshots, fuel mile went down approximately 15% to the low 40s.

From my experience, the average high speed someone runs at can make a significant difference in fuel mileage. Say 65 vs 85. Around here, I have also notices seasonal changes. Whether that's because the seasonal changes in the blend of gas or colder weather/running, I don't know.

I'll say it now, as I have said it a million times before - ELEVATION, or more properly density altitude makes a HUGE difference in fuel mileage. The less air, the less resistance. I have always obtained my high mileage tanks (high 40s to low 50s) at higher eleveations.

Elevation and density altitude are 2 completely dfferent things. I am at sea level here in south louisiana, but when the temp hits 100, my density altitude can be 2K feet or more....and if you are at 2k feet and its cold as hell, your desnity altitude will be lower. Density altitude is simply a comparison of the ISA air density and your local air. I haven't had to pass a test on this since I got my pilots license in '97, but I think that is pretty accurate.

So, if you got your best mileage at higher elevations, your density altitude could still be very low, and conversely, my density altitude at sea level might actually be "higher" than your actual altitude.

Jay

'04 FJR 1300

Elevation and density altitude are 2 completely dfferent things. I am at sea level here in south louisiana, but when the temp hits 100, my density altitude can be 2K feet or more....and if you are at 2k feet and its cold as hell, your desnity altitude will be lower. Density altitude is simply a comparison of the ISA air density and your local air. I haven't had to pass a test on this since I got my pilots license in '97, but I think that is pretty accurate.

So, if you got your best mileage at higher elevations, your density altitude could still be very low, and conversely, my density altitude at sea level might actually be "higher" than your actual altitude.

Jay

'04 FJR 1300
Jay, as you bring out, temperature and humidity are serious bad boys when it comes to power and efficiency. Helicopter pilots can really tell you a lot on this subject. IMO you can't just look at elevation without factoring in temp and humidity at the As far as octane goes, I agree that octane by itself probably has little effect on mileage but the same octane rating on the pump at different gas stations sure can. Not only do different companies make different blends, they make different blends for different regions of the country for different seasons. Tires can make a difference because they "can" have different diameters and the compounds can have different rolling friction values. In theory, the ME880 should have an effect on mileage, don't know what that would be but if it were the same as a PR under the same conditions that would be very surprising. With all that being said, what you do with your right wrist has more effect on mileage than anything.

Traveling from home (6600') to work (6900') is 15 miles. I always put 87 octane in my '07 and get 46 mpg. Two weeks ago my wife and I rode from our place in Park City, UT to Jackson Hole, WY. The mileage was 5602 when we left. Our total combined weight with gear was 469.6 lbs. I put 91 octane fuel in for the first time. Our total mileage for the trip was 605.4 miles. We drove between 75-80 mph to and from Jackson, only slowing about 15-20 miles out. The first 133 miles we got 49.626 mpg. The next 214 miles was 48.003 mpg. The next 123 miles was 49.338 mpg. The last 132 miles was against a hard wind because a storm was blowing in and we still got 44.25 mpg fully loaded.

These numbers are from my odometer and the gas receipts. I love this bike!

My experience with fuel consumption on my FJR, mostly highway riding:

> 38-42 mpg at 80-110 mph with heavy throttle.

> 42-44 mpg at 80-95 mph with fairly steady throttle.

> 50+ mpg at 60 mph with steady throttle.

I take the reserve tank seriously and almost never ride on reserve so I can't give you a top miles per tank number.

IRBR

I take the reserve tank seriously and almost never ride on reserve so I can't give you a top miles per tank number.

IRBR

I'll second that. I've only ever ridding 11miles into my reserve.

The mileage you've posted is very similar to mine. In fact, the only segment where my mpg differs is the 80-110mph range - I think I average 35mpg there.

Yup: the 300 number seems do-able given the mpg I've experienced (around 48 moderately cruising on slab).

IRBR

Hmm, doing the metric conversions, I got almost steady 5.6 liters/100km (~ 42mpg) until I took off the Throttle body restricters imposed by France, then it jumped to 6.9 instantly. Now I average about 5.9 ( After testing the performance ) :blink:

Yesterday was the first time I actually got into the reserve, and Since I couldn't remember how much fuel there is in the reserve, or if there is a light or just the flashing bar, I was sweating it all the was to the gas station :p This post inspired me to look it up again in the manual, now it's burned into my brain. So before hitting reserve, 270 miles? with a heavy throttle hand. Usually when I'm down to the last bar I look for a place to gas up, so I loose probably 100kms by not burning up the reserve.

IRBR
Once I recorded 68 miles on reserve, since then I use 60 as the standard once the blinking lite comes one, and that will occure between 219-239, depending on gas and how I am riding. Once the reserve light starts blinking, I maintain 70-75mph for the next 60 miles or gas station some where near there. I now use the GPS to locate gas stations near the 280 mile mark. I could have gone 300 many times over the last 20,000 miles but figure riding on that last .3 gal is risky. I quite often put in 5.9-6.3 gals.

The gas gauge and related mileage is very accurate and consistant on my FJR.