Fuel tank question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zpetrus

Reaction score
I rescued a 2005 FJR with <5,000 mile from an hoard of mice in a barn that were using it for low income housing. First order of business (after eviction of the previous tenants) was to clean the fuel tank. That done, I found that the fuel pump was not working, so I replaced it. I pulled the fuel tank a second time to replace the injectors and fuel ran freely from the line to the fuel rail. Is that normal? I thought I read that there was a check valve somewhere that kept that from happening. I would be interested to know if this is something that needs addressed before I proceed. Thanks in advance.

When you disconnect the fuel line from the rail (to remove the tank), you normally don't get more than a few millilitres of gasoline spilled. I assumed the check valve was in the right-angled connector but I might be mistaken (could be in the pump...). In any case, you shouldn't get a flood. (I am assuming that the plumbing is the same for Gen I as my Gen II.)

Thanks, that is what I needed to know. I will pull the pump again and pay closer attention to the various o rings.