Funny pic at Hwy36

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=14pt]That informant better watch out.[/SIZE]

catBomber.jpg
Where can I get a suite like that I wanna get one for the neighbors cat :lol:

I have a question . How does 36 compare to 299? 2 years ago I went from Chattanooga, TN to Eureka taking 299 . Did I miss somthin special???

And to think I've ridden by rte. 36 several times because I was in a "hurry". OK. Next summer it is a 'must do'. maybe on my way to meet up with beemerdons next November... hmmmm

rte. 299 is in Northern Cali. Very tasty. I found time to ride that road. Several threads about it for the curious. 36 looks at least as good.

I have a question . How does 36 compare to 299? 2 years ago I went from Chattanooga, TN to Eureka taking 299 . Did I miss somthin special???
While 299 has its very twisty parts, like Buckhorn Grade above Whiskeytown Lake, it does have the long sweepers and flat parts through the valley near Weaverville. It's a lovely ride along the Trinity River and certainly a "must do" if one has the time.

Hwy 36, once one leaves Red Bluff (the "famous" sign is only a mile or so out of town), begins its rise and fall and turns and doesn't stop until it passes through the narrow section West of Dinsmore. It just doesn't stop until you get to Fortuna.

Too bad you didn't have time to ride them both. Yes...Hwy 36 IS special and we're blessed to live close to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
While 299 has its very twisty parts, like Buckhorn Grade above Whiskeytown Lake, it does have the long sweepers and flat parts through the valley near Weaverville. It's a lovely ride along the Trinity River and certainly a "must do" if one has the time.

Hwy 36, once one leaves Red Bluff (the "famous" sign is only a mile or so out of town), begins its rise and fall and turns and doesn't stop until it passes through the narrow section West of Dinsmore. It just doesn't stop until you get to Fortuna.

Too bad you didn't have time to ride them both. Yes...Hwy 36 IS special and we're blessed to live close to it.
Mike, are the constabulary particularly fond of eating their donuts by the side of rte. 36?

... and 3 and 96.

36 is definitely on my short list of roads when I finally take my bike to NoCal next summer. I figure it'll be an extended visit to see the in-laws and some fine riding will be needed to clear the head. I'll just have to remember to take a similar photo. ;)

And 299, just north of 36

Mike, are the constabulary particularly fond of eating their donuts by the side of rte. 36?
Have you seen all the eateries along Hwy 36. They're all there in the pictures. :rolleyes:

In 140 miles there are only a couple of places to stop: Mad River 90 miles West of Red Bluff) and, IIRC,

Cobbs or Dinsmore (at about 95 miles).

Yes, there roads are patrolled but this area is fairly remote and the forces are rather "thin". Excessive speed and stupidity tend to put Darwin's Law into effect.

As a matter of fact, we saw more CHP presence on Hwy 101 (when leaving Fortuna) than I did all weekend. If my memory serves, I only saw 2 law enforcement types on Hwy 3, 96 & 299 (roughy 700 miles). Then MCRider and Fairlaner began to collect "friends" in white cars with badges on the doors. CAJW, MCRider and I got off Hwy 101 and took Hwy 1 from Leggett to Fort Bragg and Hwy 20 across Hwy 101 to Clear Lake and didn't see another officer.

"Heaven....I'm in heaven...." :yahoo:

We will be back for some more in the spring thats for sure...... Fortuna fish and chips were some of the best.

Titlow Road and Last Chance Ridge is also a must do. We also left several little loops undone so we have an excuse to go back.

R

Have you seen all the eateries along Hwy 36. They're all there in the pictures. :rolleyes:

In 140 miles there are only a couple of places to stop: Mad River 90 miles West of Red Bluff) and, IIRC, Cobbs or Dinsmore (at about 95 miles).

Yes, there roads are patrolled but this area is fairly remote and the forces are rather "thin". Excessive speed and stupidity tend to put Darwin's Law into effect.

As a matter of fact, we saw more CHP presence on Hwy 101 (when leaving Fortuna) than I did all weekend. If my memory serves, I only saw 2 law enforcement types on I-5, Hwy 113, 45, 3, 96 & 299 (roughly 700 miles). Then MCRider and Fairlaner began to collect "friends" in white cars with badges on the doors. CAJW, MCRider and I got off Hwy 101 and took Hwy 1 from Leggett to Fort Bragg and Hwy 20 across Hwy 101 to Clear Lake and didn't see another officer.

"Heaven....I'm in heaven...." :yahoo:

Of course, we were there late in the season. It could be completely different in July or August when the summer tourists are out and about.

I enjoyed riding 36 from Red Bluff to Fortuna, then 101 north to Orick and back to Arcata. 299 east to Weaverville then 3 north to Gazalle-Callahan Rd (sp?). 3 thru Trinity then G/C Rd got pretty technical and my bride was riding behind me on her bike before she even got her license, only had her permit at the time. She was a real trooper and made the entire trip with only a few complaints. LIke riding in snaow and rain mix when we left Weed she wasn't too crazy about........

When you get into Fortuna, try stopping at Eel River Brewery for lunch, you won't be disappointed.

Ray