Fuse Panel & Power Port Install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimjim

Reaction score
With colder weather approaching I wanted to add some Powerlet power ports to my new 2013 FJR to power my heated jacket liner, hook up a battery tender, power a portable air compressor, etc. Let me first say that I really hate the battery location on this bike but on the plus side it does free up quite a bit of space under the seat.

For a fuse panel I bought the 3 Circuit Solution (3CS) from Eastern Beaver with one unswitched circuit. I've installed these on two other bikes and they are really well made and don't take up much space. The unswitched circuit will be for the battery tender hook-up. For power ports I went with Powerlets Dual Keylock Kit that bolts to the seat keylock panel.

Since the 3CS is made to install next to the battery I had to modify it so I could access the fuses and circuits from under the seat. This meant cutting and splicing 12 gage wire to the positive and negative leads to increase the length, I didn't measure it but probably added about 5 feet. The main 30 amp fuse must be kept close to the battery though, the chances of this blowing are slim as each circuit is fused also. I ran these wires in a plastic sheath and zip tied to the main wire harness that runs from the battery to the under seat area of the bike. To do this I had to remove the fuel tank, T-bar, heat protector, side covers, front cowling inner panel and right upper inner panel. The fuel tank is surprisingly easy to remove although I had to siphon the fuel out as it was nearly full.

The Powerlet kit comes with fuse holders for each port and enough positive leads to reach from the port location to the battery but I cut these positive wires, removed the fuse holders and wired into the 3CS. Each port has a nice rubber boot that covers the electrical connector and back of the port.

I tapped into the tail light wire with a Posi-Tap for the relay trigger wire to energize the switched 3CS circuits.

Pleased with the way it turned out, photos follow.

Tank, T-Bar and heat protector removed.

2013-09-28_13-43-19_875.jpg

Final location of 3CS fuse holder and circuit terminals.

DSC_0183.jpg

Fuse holder.

DSC_0187.jpg

Fuse holder with cap removed.

DSC_0188.jpg

Posi-Tap of tail light wire.

DSC_0189.jpg

Powerlet ports.

DSC_0190.jpg