FYI-Progressive Insurance Winter Lay-up

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcsp

Reaction score
Just puttting this out there for those who have their bikes insured by Progressive, if you live in an area where you can't ride all year due to winter weather....snow, ice, etc., Progressive does have a winter lay-up program available but they don't advertise it. Sounds like they had only offered it for a year or so.

I called Progressive and it saved me a over $200 by making the call.

I try to ride all year round. Every insurance should let you amend coverage for any period of time. So, instead of a "winter lay-up" program, just contact your agent (or for Progressive just go on-line), log into your account and change liability, limits, collision, uninsured, underinsured to minimal amounts, and check out your savings. Then when you're ready to ride re-instate coverage.

I don't do it because on any given day (if it gets to 40 or above without snow or salt on the ground), we ride.

Buy yea, every company should offer this option. They don't advertise it because it' not in their interest.

GEICO offers this program and sent me an email this year reminding me that I was eligible. Since I had already decided I wasn't going to ride through the winter anymore it was a natural. Bike is stored until April 1, 2013 and I have been taking care of little maintenance/mods projects as time and weather allow. Unheated garage spaces make poor workshops.

Saved 200 clams! holy crap- I only pay Progressive $165/year for full coverage..

I was gonna say... that's no savings! I pay Allstate less than $150/year for full coverage on two scoots.

Not all of us are cheap to insure old farts.
biggrin.png
I pay about $400 per year on the FJR myself.

Also, remember that these programs aren't just for bikes and winter. Deployed military can take advantage of this as well for example. I did while I was away at boot camp and MT school while my truck sat at my parents house in Florida. My father in law took advantage of this for his car while he was recovering from dual Achilles tendon surgery.

I insure all of my vehicles with Allstate I put those I do not use during winter months or when I am out of state for long periods of time, on suspension. This saves a lot of $$$.

When I need or want to drive/ride one of them I just call my agent and they insure it through their office, good for about seven (7) days. I call them when I am finished using that vehicle so they do not put it back on permanent coverage.

I'll throw in that American Family Insurance actually sent me some BS e-mail about how they won't offer this on motorcycle, ATV, and snowmobile insurance.