FZ1 vs. Z1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RacinRay

Living The Dream
Reaction score
I was at my local dealer today and there side by side were an 08 fz1 and an 08 z1000. Only a $200 difference in price. I really liked look of the Z1000 in pearl white with orange anodized forks and matching wheel accents.

I can't find a lot of info on either model. Does anyone here have any experience with the new 08 z1000? I know there are a lot of fz1 owners here. I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

I've never owned a 2nd gen FZ1, but I've had 2 1st gen ones. I have also owned an 03 Z1000, not for long though. I hated that thing, it "buzzed" so bad at highway speed that your hands went numb, and if you read up on them, you really can't "fix"it. After a 500 mile day in West Virginia on it I traded it in. The "ego's" never felt right for me either, and I could never really figure out what it was, my buddy said he thought it was the seat, bars, foot peg layout.

I've had both a GenI (01)FZ1 and a (Gen II) an 06 which I presently own. I've had several Kawi's prior to the FZ's & can say the general ride/ergo's & power fit me better on the Yamaha. Also enquire at the excellent FZ owners group website, YamahaFZ1OA for great info on our sport & that bike in particular.

It looks like the Yamaha is much more powerful. But I really like the looks of the z1000. I really wanted a Speed Triple, but there are no dealers anywhere near me. I just want to do my part to stimulate the economy!! I guess it's not a bad problem to have.

2 words for the FZ1.

Wind Protection

You really can do a lot with the FZ1 and an aftermarket windshield.

From the looks of the Z1000, a taller windshield would make it look like it belonged on the short bus.

I had an 03 Z1000 as well. It did buzz a bit but nothing to make my hands fall asleep. I did add bar end mirrors which were heavier weights and that made the buzz in the handlebars pretty much go away. There are actually a lot of different fixes for that problem (lead in the bars, bar end weights, different grips, different bars etc) The passenger pegs were metal and made my wifes legs go numb after a while. The vibes came from the engine being the central part of the frame and at certain RPM's it would buzz (3.5k - 4.5 k on mine) Other than that, the bike was a blast. It was like a large supermotard in all respects and handled really good in tight twisty stuff. I choose it over an FZ1 because I wanted a bike leaning more towards the sporting side at the time and IMO it looked WAY better. I sold it last year with about 25000 miles on it to get the FJR for touring purposes as that bike would not work for that in any respects. The resale on them is terrible is the only thing so I would look for a used one this winter. I've seen 07's sell for 5k-6k with less than a 1000 miles in my area. I would buy the new one in a heartbeat if I could justify it though.

I've owned an '06 FZ-1, it was a great bike but I like my FJR much better for practicality's sake. If you currently own a Gen II FJR, you might end up dissapointed with the naked bike. The FZ1 has an edge (not a big one though) on handling and acceleration, but the FJR is simply an all around better motorcycle in my opinion.

I'm not concerned with the bike being an "all around" performer. I was thinking of a streetfighter custom. As I said in a earlier post, the speed triple was my first choice but there are no dealers near me.

I'm not concerned with the bike being an "all around" performer. I was thinking of a streetfighter custom. As I said in a earlier post, the speed triple was my first choice but there are no dealers near me.
Gotcha. I know how you feel wanting a 'streetfighter custom' - I've often thrown practicality aside for the sake of pure coolness :D The other bike in this category that I've always liked is the BMW K1200R - check out this crazy pic....

K1200R_Custom

But if your heart is set on the Speed Triple, go for it . . . dealer proximity be damned.

Gotcha. I know how you feel wanting a 'streetfighter custom' - I've often thrown practicality aside for the sake of pure coolness :D The other bike in this category that I've always liked is the BMW K1200R - check out this crazy pic....
K1200R_Custom

But if your heart is set on the Speed Triple, go for it . . . dealer proximity be damned.
That BMW is very cool.

For what its worth.....

I had a 02 FZ1...and now have a 07 FZ1....

I have owned an 05 FJR and now have an 07...

Obviously they are individuals and dont serve the same purpose....My 02 FZ1 was a good hybred and served me well...only mod was tires and Yosh pipe...it ran and handled well(still like to have its front brakes)

The 07 FZ1 far and away is a better bike...(of course Yamaha wanted it that way)...Ive had R1s and R6s...but this bike it way more fun and all aroud serves a great purpose as I am 6-3 250lbs and mid fifties...I ride hard and do some limited track riding...This bike rocks...suspension is stock but tuned, full Akra, powercommander, airbox mod and hang on!...140+ rear wheel HP...great but not too much...

For touring its FJR...for Rock n Roll Sundays its FZ! all the way...

:yahoo:

I had a gen 1 fz its was a blast, got the fjr to do more 2 up rideing,she left me so now im thinking of getting a gen2 fz1, im sure you can still do some touring on it.

My info is a little dated, but in 05 I tried on the Z and didn't like the ergos, the 05 FZ-1 (last of the carb'd version) fit me fine. Even Sally fit on back. I

03469Medium.jpg

I have done 2100 mile weekends on it solo, no problem. Will dazzle most folks in the twisties.

The 06 had FI and the famous Yamaha throttle 'snatch' and the 07 was only slightly improved. The 08 I hear is better, but a PCIII is in order. Pegs a little higher, couple more HP, still a blast...

i don't know where you are in central NY. but the Kaw dealer in fulton has a lightly used 05z for sale. i have looked at it and it is very clean.