G2 Ergo Throttle Tube and Cam

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I installed the G2 and a set of OEM heated grips last weekend. The G2 makes a huge difference - smoothed the throttle right out. The only issue is that the heated grip is a bit longer than the the G2 tube so I cut a small section off of the plastic tube and inserted it after the G2 and just ahead of the bar end. Everything buckled up nice and the grips look and work great. I'll probably put my throttle rockers back on to help with long-distance fatigue. I'm thinking about a set of grip puppies as the final comfort mod for the grips.

Installed the G2 throttle and just like everyone is saying, easy to put on and smooths out the take off. They even call it now the FJR throttle tamer. Thanks!

anyone do the G2 on a 08? I have a dead spot on the bottom of the throttle, im putting the PC III in next week, but will this help? or did yamaha correct this in the 08's?

Thanks

Bob

anyone do the G2 on a 08? I have a dead spot on the bottom of the throttle, I'm putting the PC III in next week, but will this help? or did Yamaha correct this in the 08's?Thanks

Bob
I put a G2 throttle tamer on my stock '08 and the off-idle jerkiness was much better but not perfect. I recently installed a PCIII and Muzzy exhaust system and that really made a difference. It improved the off idle response so much that I had to change the cam on the Throttle Tamer from a Y400 to a Y200. If you order the G2 for the FJR it only comes with 1 cam (Y400). I still like the G2, but not sure it's worth the difference after the PCIII.

I put a G2 throttle tamer on my stock '08 and the off-idle jerkiness was much better but not perfect. I recently installed a PCIII and Muzzy exhaust system and that really made a difference. It improved the off idle response so much that I had to change the cam on the Throttle Tamer from a Y400 to a Y200. If you order the G2 for the FJR it only comes with 1 cam (Y400). I still like the G2, but not sure it's worth the difference after the PCIII.
Thanks, I guess i'll will be testing that. My PC III come in on Tuesday, so i will install that first, and let everyone know. Just need to figure which maps to use now.

Unlike the 06 and 07 models installing the G-2 throttle tube on an 08 IMHO is totally unneccessary. The cam shape was suppossedly returned to normal on the 08 ie. to pre-06. Off idle jerkyness, stalling, flat spots in the powerband etc. are not due to the cam shape on the new throttle on the tube or on the throttle body side.

If one is having issues personally I would sync the throttle bodies, make sure the idle is set at 1100 rpm and make sure everything else is clean and up to date maintainence wise. Some do prefer the PC III or other device to custom map their ride to help in such matters or problems mentioned above.

I haven't been following up as much lately but alot of the 06 and 07 owners unwound the center spring one turn or totally released the center spring on the throttle bodies to help relieve the too tight throttle which helped even more on the throttle control and wrist fatigue especially in the twisties sections and such. Now just go out for a ride and ride it like it was meant to be ridden. But be safe. PM. <>< :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Unlike the 06 and 07 models installing the G-2 throttle tube on an 08 IMHO is totally unneccessary.
I don't know how you can say that unless you actually have both and have made that determination. I do have both and I do enjoy the ability to fine tune the throttle to my personal preference. Sam at G2 is great and will exchange cams with you until you get it right for you. I am using the Y200 cam now which is just one step off stock. It's probably one of those subjective things but I'm happy with mine.

Unlike the 06 and 07 models installing the G-2 throttle tube on an 08 IMHO is totally unneccessary. The cam shape was suppossedly returned to normal on the 08 ie. to pre-06. Off idle jerkyness, stalling, flat spots in the powerband etc. are not due to the cam shape on the new throttle on the tube or on the throttle body side.
If one is having issues personally I would sync the throttle bodies, make sure the idle is set at 1100 rpm and make sure everything else is clean and up to date maintainence wise. Some do prefer the PC III or other device to custom map their ride to help in such matters or problems mentioned above.

I haven't been following up as much lately but alot of the 06 and 07 owners unwound the center spring one turn or totally released the center spring on the throttle bodies to help relieve the too tight throttle which helped even more on the throttle control and wrist fatigue especially in the twisties sections and such. Now just go out for a ride and ride it like it was meant to be ridden. But be safe. PM. <>< :rolleyes:
I dont know which statment is true, but i can tell you i have never stalled a bike at a red light in 20 years. :angry2: Everytime im stopped at a light and i crack the throttle it stalls, over and over and over. Now from my past experience this is a programing problem. Being that this is something i do daily on current car's. Now i do believe cam design helps, but i would think the physical design of the G2 will help throttle roll not the stalling. But we will find out as the exhaust and PC III are going on Tuesday.

Unlike the 06 and 07 models installing the G-2 throttle tube on an 08 IMHO is totally unneccessary.
I don't know how you can say that unless you actually have both and have made that determination. I do have both and I do enjoy the ability to fine tune the throttle to my personal preference. Sam at G2 is great and will exchange cams with you until you get it right for you. I am using the Y200 cam now which is just one step off stock. It's probably one of those subjective things but I'm happy with mine
Well, for one, I can say this even though I don't have an 08 model because if you follow the info on this subject just a little bit, and if you can read Yamaha's website on the "new" features of the 08 FJR over the previous years, one can tell that yes the throttle was revised from the 06 and 07 models on the 08 to eleminate the throttle issue. I can also discuss MotoGP bikes like many here but we don't have one....

And yes Sam is a great guy, I've spoken to him more than once and yes you can fine tune your throttle if you want to really go that far, but hey all I was saying is there is really no need now on an 08 to revise your throttle tube like the title of this thread suggests for an 06 because, well they eleminated this issue at the factory because they might read this forum and heard some complaints from us 06 and 07 owners.....and....I don't hear alot of 08 owners complaining like the piles of posts in the past from 06 and 07 owners on this issue......

So your saying you have the 08 and you have determined the 08 FJR has the same issue/problem with the throttle cam shape that the earlier Gen II's had and "requires" throttle tube replacement with a G2 for smooth throttle applicay or is this just a case of personal preference? Interesting....

I had to come back and edit this post (9/4), and after reading and searhing on this issue some more, it might be worth mentioning there are those who have traded up from an earlier Gen II bike to the 08 and have not only found the throttle issue to be redesigned and fixed, but they have also found that a PC-III is also not needed on the 08. Some even bought the PC-III and never took it out of the box.....go figure that? So, 08 owners, how bout it?

PM. <>< :D

RPM Big Daddy, RPM.

It's sometimes hard to accept, especially if you are accustomed to hearing a two-cylinder go Potato, Potato, Potato while sitting at the light.

The FJR NEEDS 1,100 RPM at idle. Also, watch out for the clutch lever adjustment, especially when new. If you are at setting 4 or 5, you may relax the clutch a tiny bit, not meaning to, just human nature when holding that sucker for so long. Then crap!!! Stalled at takeoff again!

RPM Big Daddy, RPM.
It's sometimes hard to accept, especially if you are accustomed to hearing a two-cylinder go Potato, Potato, Potato while sitting at the light.

The FJR NEEDS 1,100 RPM at idle. Also, watch out for the clutch lever adjustment, especially when new. If you are at setting 4 or 5, you may relax the clutch a tiny bit, not meaning to, just human nature when holding that sucker for so long. Then crap!!! Stalled at takeoff again!
Thanks for the thought, but i do adapt quickly, my idle is set at 1100rpms. I do have the clutch adjusted to 4, but i can have the bike in neutural and crack the gas and it stalls, start it again and do the oh shit, put it in gear, and bam stall again. Now i have noticed if i roll the thottle slowly and than let out the clutch it will pull and go, usually. But i can say from my many miles in a seat, this isnt normal.

P.S. how do i get the map up with my trips?

Thanks

Bob

Thanks for the thought, but i do adapt quickly, my idle is set at 1100rpms. I do have the clutch adjusted to 4, but i can have the bike in neutural and crack the gas and it stalls, start it again and do the oh shit, put it in gear, and bam stall again. Now i have noticed if i roll the thottle slowly and than let out the clutch it will pull and go, usually. But i can say from my many miles in a seat, this isnt normal.
I do truly hate to say this, but... Sounds like a small air leak around the intake manifold to head seal, or something similar. Could also be a jacked-up O2 sensor making the ECU go ape around idle. If you can gain access to a PC-III, that would instantly eliminate the O2 sensor for testing.

It doesn't take much excess air seepage, aft of the injectors, to create a knarly lean idle mixture that kills the engine with any rapid throttle transition.

You might also try the Barbarian Jumper Mod and tweak the crap out of the settings, say +20 to each, just to see if that helps noticeabley. If it does, I would put everything back to normal, remove the jumper (sorry! move the wire back for an '08), and park that baby on the dealership's doorstep and demand a fix.

Just my $.02, but then again, I wouldn't be the one without my FJR for who knows how long.

:(

Good luck!

I do truly hate to say this, but... Sounds like a small air leak around the intake manifold to head seal, or something similar. Could also be a jacked-up O2 sensor making the ECU go ape around idle. If you can gain access to a PC-III, that would instantly eliminate the O2 sensor for testing.
It doesn't take much excess air seepage, aft of the injectors, to create a knarly lean idle mixture that kills the engine with any rapid throttle transition.

You might also try the Barbarian Jumper Mod and tweak the crap out of the settings, say +20 to each, just to see if that helps noticeabley. If it does, I would put everything back to normal, remove the jumper (sorry! move the wire back for an '08), and park that baby on the dealership's doorstep and demand a fix.

Just my $.02, but then again, I wouldn't be the one without my FJR for who knows how long.

:(

Good luck!
well good news is i called the dealer tonight and my PC III came in tonight, so I'll get that tommarrow, wit hmy K&N filter, and Leo Vince exhaust. So i will know if that makes the difference. I would hope it is not a gasket leak, but than again o believe my bike is mine, so if they have to fix it, i will bring my pillow & it would get done quickly. I do have a great dealer, i called them tonight and told them about it, and told them to check for TSB's and i wanted the T/B sync. They replied with bring it right in for it. I guess i will know better in the next couple of days. Any specific maps you can recommend?

oh again how do you get your riding state map to show up?

Bob

I highly recommend the stock PC-III map for your year model. It's a great starting point and the best thing to do IMHO until you get dyno time on your specific bike.

The visited states map is something you have to create at another web site, downsize and add to your profile.

Search Google for: visited states map site:fjrforum.com I know you'll find that thread.

just to update, im going to make a new post, but the 08 with the PC III and the map for slip ons, no O2, K&N filter did it. No problem at all

I too have just fitted the G2 delrin tube and throttle spring unwind, the low speed throttle response is so smooth now. I still get that dead spot when rolling off power and the back on power at high speed, but its not so jerky as it once was. I will reserve judgement on a PCIII usb for next spring when I start riding again.

So this was a piece of cake to install?
Should I buy new grips? or was the factory grip easy to get off and back on?

(I don't have or feel the need for Grip Puppies yet).

-MD
I just installed the G2 Ergonomics throttle tube. Very quick and easy to install. It took longer to remove the grip off the existing tube than it did to install the G2. To easily remove the OEM grip without damage, remove the existing throttle tube and slide a wooden or plastic chop stick (or similar sized blunt instrument) between the tube and the grip. Next, pour a little dish soap between the tube and the grip and it will slide off easily. I also used a little undiluted dish soap on the G2 to slide on the grip. Saves buying new grips.

Just installed my G2 yesterday. Used a hair dryer to heat the grip and an old baseball mitt rawhide threader to separate the grip from the old tube. lined up the new tube with the heat line on the at the same position the old one was at. Got it all put back together and the throttle sticks on the lower end. I put a little grease on it and that helped a little but it is still not coming back to idle. Does any one have any ideal?

I have the same problem on mine, I think the issue is one of two things. Either your grip is hanging up on the housing of the throttle cam/cables, or you need a slight tension adjustment of the throttle cable.

On the AE, the heated grip has a double flange, one that goes on the outside of the housing, its the one that sits next to your palm, and the other goes inside the cable housing. If your grip is slid on too close to the cable housing or too far from the housing, the inner flange will rub on it.

I won't have time to work on mine till next week, so when I do I'll report back here. Overall, mine returns really well, except for the last 1/8 of an inch or so. As a side note, I unwound my throttle return spring (perhaps more than one turn, not sure as the spring didn't catch on the little tab when I released it) and this may have something to do with it.

Let me know how yours works out...

Just installed my G2 yesterday. Used a hair dryer to heat the grip and an old baseball mitt rawhide threader to separate the grip from the old tube. lined up the new tube with the heat line on the at the same position the old one was at. Got it all put back together and the throttle sticks on the lower end. I put a little grease on it and that helped a little but it is still not coming back to idle. Does any one have any ideal?