Garmin Rino 530HCX - HEADSET, HELP!!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Kilroy

Reaction score
Noob here who wants to know of a few ideas:

I have an HJC Modular helmet and want to intigrate a headset/mic kit into it. I have a few friends who got together and purchased Rino 530HCX's for our bikes, and we want the ability to talk to one another using VOX (on GRMS) while riding. We've used them on our Quads with the optional headset without a helmet, and they work great with outstanding reception and up to date location each time you talk.

Question: is there a good quality kit (like Motocomm) out there that will plug right into the Rino 530 after installing it into my helmet?

I'm good with helmet repairs and installing anything into them, but need a good kit to put in there that will simply run down to my handlebars.

Note: It has to have VOX capability in the wiring as the 530HCX is fully adjustable for this feature. Money isn't an option but quality is essential. I don't want to purchase a chatterbox or anything, unless you think it's the best option since I can intigrate my MP3 or cell along with this.

Ideas?

..............\|||/.......................

.............(@@)........................

_____ooO_( )_Ooo___________________________

_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|__|

___|____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|____|

_____|_KILROY_WAS_HERE_|____|_____|____|

Last edited by a moderator:
If it'll make you feel better, I'll reply even though I can't help. :rolleyes:

I have a non-HCX Rino 530 that I use for hunting trips mainly. It works great for what it is except when it locks up. I actually bought 3 of them and all have at one time or another locked up (display is visible, but can't transmit, receive or anything). The "fix" is to remove the battery to force it off and then restart. Really a pain in the butt when you're trying to call your buddy to let him know you've got a buck down miles from the road and would like help dragging it out. :angry2:

But back on topic; we've never tried the VOX because its often windy and it seems like it would be a pain having it key all the time from wind gusts. And you can't set the threshold very high because it's obviously not a good idea to yell in the woods when you're trying to sneak up on deer. I suspect the wind noise may be a problem with VOX in the helmet, but not insurmountable because I know there's systems out there that work.

How's that for a lot of words that don't help? :blink: :p :D

I use and Autocom system with their mic (I think they make one for a modular helemt) and Etymotic ER6i "in the ear" earphones. My RINO works fine with the system using VOX, so does my cell, XM (discontinued) and my MP3 player.

As far as a headset for JUST your modular helmet and the RINO, you got me there. I was going to try a lavalier mic and such in my helmet, but the Autocom lets me link up so much other stuff.

Last edited by a moderator: