• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Garmin Zumo 550 Just how much better is it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

04FJR4ME

Reaction score
I think the Zumo 550 is going to be a very hot seller this 4th quarter. It is actually priced exactly the same as the STP 2720 and lower than the STP 2820 but packed full with a lot of exciting NEW AND UNIQUE biker usable features.

Zumo 550/STP 2720 STP 2820

List $1,076.91 $1,184.60

MRP/MAP $999.99 $1,099.99

The major improvements that will sell this unit would be:

1) Sirf (not available in any other waterproof StreetPilots)

2) Glove-friendly touch screen with left-handed controls

3) Optional custom caps, available in a variety of styles to personalize zumo to match bike's color & attitude

4) Includes locking motorcycle mount as well as an automotive mount

5) Bluetooth wireless for sending voice-guidance audio prompts to compatible helmets. (in addition to the Bluetooth hands-free calling feature.)

6) Removalbe lithium-ion battery (not available in any other waterproof StreetPilots)

7) SD card expansion slot (not available in any other waterproof StreetPilots)

8) Motorcycle Console for trip information - includes resetable fuel gauge

9) Export and review routes in Google Earth, with a free account from www.Motionbase.com (Motionbase was a bay area company that got bought out by Garmin.)

10) Can be used with MotionBased for online route sharing, track viewing and to enable online communities of riders. (this could become a really big feature for these various riding communities.)

11) Compatible with the optional Travel Guide, Language Guide and SaversGuide. (not avail. in any other waterproof STPs)

12) High bright sunlight-readable, UV-resistant touch screen display

13) Offers option to go with either FM TMC Traffic or with XM Satellite Radio/Traffic/Weather service.

14) Carrying Case, Motorcycle and vehicle power cables included.

This Zumo is definately will be a hot item this Christmas and I think Garmin has been paying attention to what the motorcycle community have been saying and wishing in an ideal motorcycle product. Garmin even have STURGIS in a Sample Screnshots so I guess they are after the Harley Davidson riding community also.

04FJR4ME

James,

Any idea about SD card size limitations?

2GB, 4GB, 8GB SD cards (will they work)

To be honest the whole price, MRP/MAP, authorized seller thing is a sore spot.

I got my 2730 from Amazon (not some fly by night, back alley, street vendor in Manhatten) for $840 with the XM receiver. Now Garmin wants to lock in the price and give me what?

Other than the SD card option & left hand controls I don't see anything jumping out as a must have.

Especially for a roughly $500 price jump (when you factor in the XM radio antenna) :glare:

Last edited by a moderator:
What does SiRF stand for?
Too bad Garmin has this on the lame MRP program, intended to make the Major Electronic Retailers rich. Smart folks will wait to buy a few months till they drop it off MRP and reduce the prices about $200.
SiRF

What does SiRF stand for?

Too bad Garmin has this on the lame MRP program, intended to make the Major Electronic Retailers rich. Smart folks will wait to buy a few months till they drop it off MRP and reduce the prices about $200.
SiRF

Yea, thanks, I hit google and found it two milliseconds earlier. Sounds like it makes initial aquisition faster and will boost reception in downtown canyons and shaded areas.
I think Amazon.com and discount camera stores/PC stores should be able to answer some of your questions regarding these GPS you are interested in, and if they can't, I am sure Fred H will find your answers for you in less then two milliseconds and come over you house to help you install your GPS for you. What a great bunch of guys! I love it....

James,

You are taking the comments from Fred and myself too personal. Neither of us are hoping you go out of business. We both have similar views on this new MRP price fixing policy but since I don't know exactly what Fred is thinking I will stop talking for him.

It seems to me you lump anyone who sells below your price in the same basket as these places*.

*These places are the ads in the back of magazines with killer prices which are typically grey market, imports, non-US models, don't come with all accessories, etc... When you call them up they will sell you the unit, then offer to throw in the power adapter for $49, then a warranty for $99, then a...

I rarely ever shop at these places. 95% of my shopping is done at Amazon.com, why?

-No sales tax

-Free shipping

-Great prices (not always best but very good)

-Great customer service

-Legit, US spec models (Exact same place you get your stock to sell, direct from Garmin)

-I have a prime account which gives me 2-day UPS air shipping on everything I buy for free ($70 annual fee)

-Great return policy

-Customer reviews (which you have to take with a grain of salt)

Sure Amazon doesn't do any hand holding that you do, but how hard is it to call Garmin or use Google for most any issue?

Much of the information you post is nothing more than a press release from Garmin themselves.

I have never said you don't have the right to earn a living, hell if I lived outside of California I probably would have bought my Garmin from you but that Sales tax & shipping money adds up (which doesn't end up in your pocket anyway) Nearly $100 more if I bought from you vice my reputable dealer (Amazon.com)

Bottom line, let Best Buy, Circuit City, Fry's, etc... continue to sell the units for MSRP to all the people who don't know any better. Buyer beware and hopefully people will learn to stay away from ebay, open box, refurbished units and Grey market sellers.

But, there are sellers and other people out there selling to informed consumers like myself who don't need the hand holding or support. We can figure 99% of it out or make it work ourselves.

Why should the fact that I can figure 99% of it out for myself mean I have to pay an extra 20% surcharge.

(20%= Item should sell for ~$800 but MSRP is ~$1000) just like the Garmin 2730

What is that a stupid tax? No that is price fixing.

James,
You are taking the comments from Fred and myself too personal. Neither of us are hoping you go out of business. We both have similar views on this new MRP price fixing policy but since I don't know exactly what Fred is thinking I will stop talking for him.

It seems to me you lump anyone who sells below your price in the same basket as these places*.

*These places are the ads in the back of magazines with killer prices which are typically grey market, imports, non-US models, don't come with all accessories, etc... When you call them up they will sell you the unit, then offer to throw in the power adapter for $49, then a warranty for $99, then a...

I rarely ever shop at these places. 95% of my shopping is done at Amazon.com, why?

-No sales tax

-Free shipping

-Great customer service

-Legit, US spec models (Exact same place you get your stock to sell, direct from Garmin)

-I have a prime account which gives me 2-day UPS air shipping on everything I buy for free ($70 annual fee)

-Great return policy

Sure Amazon doesn't do any hand holding that you do, but how hard is it to call Garmin or use Google for most any issue?

Much of the information you post is nothing more than a press release from Garmin themselves.

I have never said you don't have the right to earn a living, hell if I lived outside of California I probably would have bought my Garmin from you but that Sales tax & shipping money adds up (which doesn't end up in your pocket anyway) Nearly $100 more if I bought from you vice my reputable dealer (Amazon.com)

Bottom line, let Best Buy, Circuit City, Fry's, etc... continue to sell the units for MSRP to all the people who don't know any better. Buyer beware and hopefully people will learn to stay away from ebay, open box, refurbished units and Grey market sellers.

But, there are sellers and other people out there selling to informed consumers like myself who don't need the hand holding or support. We can figure 99% of it out or make it work ourselves.

Why should the fact that I can figure 99% of it out for myself mean I have to pay an extra 20% surcharge.

(20%= Item should sell for ~$800 but MSRP is ~$1000) just like the Garmin 2730

What is that a stupid tax? No that is price fixing.

Wow! what an excellent respond and I do appreciate your links to these questionable PC and Camera stores and what you have commented.

https://donwiss.com/pictures/ManhattanStores/

You have stated:

"95% of my shopping is done at Amazon.com, why?

-No sales tax

-Free shipping

-Great customer service

-Great return policy

Sure Amazon doesn't do any hand holding that you do, but how hard is it to call Garmin or use Google for most any issue?"

I would like to qualify that the price I sell at normally to my regular customers out of our retail stores are NOT MSRP or AKA as Manufactures Suggested Retail Price, these days, that would be a DREAM to be able to make a fair profit margin and sell at what we are suppose to be able to sell these GPS for, if we have a store front and have products to demonstrate.

Normally MSPR mark up is fair and we are allow to enjoy a profit margin between 25-30% depending on different manufacture and after you consider the cost of employees, tax, insurance, rent, utilities, inventory and demo units, it is really not that much of a mark up IF WE CAN GET IT. But it never happens because we have to compete with places such as Costco, Best Buy, Circuit cities, WalMart, Target etc that purchase 25-30K units a month and get the best price possible from these GPS manufactures. We as a small brick and mortar store do not enjoy these HUGE discounts that are offered to these large big box or warehouse companies and we still have to compete with them at our higher purchase prices on a daily bases. They do sell lower than MAP most of the time at their retail stores.

We are however expected to advertise our prices at MAP or Minimum Advertise Price which is not to say we can't lower our price when the customer shows up at our store to compete with the bigger companies, but we can't advertise at a lower cost and that is what MAP is all about.

My biggest complaint is

1] These Amazon.com resellers are BREAKING MAP policies by advertising a lower cost right on Amazon than what the factory have recommended, they don't have to sell it for the advertise price but they however need to advertise at the minimum pricing so the price does not get degraded right out of the gate. Some sell at below dealer cost which we can't compete with. These guys are not playing the same game and they are normally NOT authorized resellers or soon will not be authorized resellers for these companies by advertising a lower cost than MAP. My company in the other hand follow the rules to the tee, so even if we can sell lower, we cannot let anyone know because of the current MAP policy which we agree with.

How are these big box stores or warehouse stores getting such great prices, from return open box products, missing accessory units that is repackage by the factory and sold as new again! These special deals are only offered to these large accounts and not made available to smaller company such as mine.

2] These AMAZON.com PC and Camera Internet companies have a HUGE advantage over the Brick and Mortar stores like mine, why? If they sell a lot of PC boards and Camera lets say $5M total or more a quarter, they enjoy the deepest discount from a distributor that can offer than a price that is 5-7% BELOW dealer cost, they don't have to buy or sell a lot of GPS, they get the total volume discount which makes it hard to compete with. So they are happy making the 5% over their actually cost and sell below dealer pricing! Is this consider FAIR? Not really, they don't have the store front or the employee to show or answer customers for potential buyers. So I guess ALL middle class small 12 volt dealers deserve to be put out of business because they can't compete.

Well, here is the part that I don't understand, not a day gone by that customers come in and do not feel guilty spending our employees PAID valuable time to educate them with different GPS units and what the features are for them, they USE us to do the research so they can BUY from the Internet and save the TAX!

What about the cost of my demo units and employee time, never mind the rent for the store front and insurance. I know, I should not be there if I don't wish to get kick in the nuts! and should just close my door. If the customer is nice, they will show an Internet price ONLY AFTER all the training and free demo's is offered and ask us to match the Internet price! I love those customers and hope the GPS fails on them when they are using their Internet purchased GPS! Oh, we sell on the Internet also, not because I enjoy it, but because if I want to stay in business and move enough units to have any say with the manufactures, we have to do everything and anything we can to get our volume of sales up. Even if we sell them at cost!

The funny part is that we are not subsidize by the government and potential customers seems to think we are a public library only to use us and abuse us, we are not expected to get mad about all this because we deserve everything that is dish out to us.

I know it is hard to understand if you are on the other side of the fence looking in, but if you sit on my side of the fence and have to accept making $25-$50 gross profit for a $500-$1000 GPS system and have to pay my overhead with that $25-$50, you may have a different opinion also.

I don't expect anyone not in business to understand what I am trying to say here, but I have to at least attempt to make known that business is not easy to do and it is getting harder each day, we are all being replaced one way or another by cheaper products and cheaper labor outside the USA, and with the HUGE competition from big box and warehouse companies along with the web, it maybe necessary for ALL middle class citizen or small business owners to just depend on government subside instead of taking a risk with their savings to attempt to make a living working hard and providing the service that is not commonly found in larger big box stores or Internet!

As far as support goes, EVERYONE needs support, you have NO control over hardware failures etc and WE as Authorized factory GPS dealers are pushing for the factory NOT TO accept any repairs or warranty from unauthorized or MAP violators that is killing the market.

Do you think making 5% is to much, hell a busboy or waiter makes more than that and they don't have to use their own money to earn that 5%! Just how much do you think you can make with a system that is between $500-$1000? Gone are the days when we use to sell a GPS system for $3,200 and we were given a profit margin of $1,000 which we shared with our sales persons, we use to offer a $300 a unit commission for our salesman time to demonstrate these units for our customers, but back than, it took 50 demos to sell one unit, these days, sales is easier as long as you don't mind making less than 5% on your investment.

Finally: " Much of the information you post is nothing more than a press release from Garmin themselves."

If this was the case, why would you and many of the other members need to contact us, even you have asked questions such as " Any idea about SD card size limitations? 2GB, 4GB, 8GB SD cards (will they work)

To be honest the whole price, MRP/MAP, authorized seller thing is a sore spot."

Many GPS companies is taking a stand, and here is Pioneer new web site and announcement to fight the unauthorized dealers.

Unauthorized Internet Dealers

Pioneer does NOT offer a manufacturer's limited warranty for products purchased from anyone who is not an authorized dealer and it does NOT offer rebates or other special opportunities for products purchased from anyone who is not an authorized dealer. Pioneer is not able to identify all persons and companies who claim to be authorized Pioneer dealers. Pioneer has been able to identify the following persons and companies who are NOT authorized Pioneer dealers:

Valley TV (California)

New World Electronics (California)

eBay Sellers

Pioneer does NOT authorize any of its dealers to sell new products on eBay. Pioneer's agreements with its dealers prohibit sales on eBay. Accordingly, Pioneer does not offer its limited manufacturer's warranty or rebates for products purchased from any dealers on eBay

Thank you for your input

James

04FJR4ME

Thanks for the reply James.

Sorry I'm not going to solve the problem with the economy, cheaper labor, jobs going overseas, mom & pop stores closing left & right (I do support my fair share) but at the same time I'm not that guy coming in a store wasting an hour of your time and then asking for a price match. I hear your complaint there, but you are always going to have those types of people. If you think I am one of "them" based on my simple question about SD card capacity (which you may have learned at a Garmin dealer briefing) I can't do much about that. I was mainly asking for the benefit of the forum. To me that is something that was left out in Garmin's press briefing and if it were available it could tell many of us if the Zumo could be an ipod replacement. My 2730 lacks storage capacity, other than that it is just about perfect in all other areas. If you can't/won't/refuse to answer I'm sure I can find the the answer by calling Garmin or using Google, no issue for me, the answer will surface eventually in the form of praise or complaints.

I really don't see a way around you beating volume sales with little profit margin, you are handicapped from the beginning. The only way to compete is customer service (doing it better than the next guy) which will lead to volume. i.e. Sunnyside (fjrgoodies) & Gary McCoy (University Motors)

This Zumo is not my ideal GPS, maybe when bluetooth makes some more penetration into the market we can have it as the single channel communication link. Right now it lacks a tie-in to bike-bike, bike-passenger and radar for me (but getting closer).

I am moving out of California soon so that sales tax issue may bring your price closer to what I am willing to pay for my next unit, do you ship to an APO/FPO address via US Mail? (I'm going to Italy) That is one thing Amazon doesn't do that well (use another carrier than UPS, hence their poor support of APO/FPO shipments)

Maybe that is an area to expand your business? Support the troops overseas.

Any idea how bad it sucks being in some country without street signs. A GPS can be a lifesaver, unfortunately the military only has so much money so if you want one it may have to be purchased with personal funds like many other things (body armor, camelbacks, eye protection, phase change cooling vests, GPS...to name a few) Unfortunate, but reality.

Send me a PM or email if you would like some ideas where to advertise.

We can talk more offline.

James,

I would like to thank you taking your time to help members of this forum.

This is an open forum so people have the right to say about anything they want (and many as you see will). You can always tell which people work for someone else versus work for themselves.

I would seriously recommend you spend your time on their forum talking about things other than GPSs (your livelihood) - you will find it less stressful and more profitable.

Any how, I do understand and appreciate your position.

Best Regards,

Shane

For my 2 cents, I knew very little about the Garmin GPS when I decided to get the my 2730 from james establishment. I called and the information given was helpful and I felt like I wouldn't be taken by a fellow FJR owner. Certainly, I could have spent an evening or two on the internet doing applicable searches, but don't really have the time or interest. I would rather buy from someone who will back up the sale after the unit is on the bike and guys like GROO who posted great pics of the stem mount which I have.

I think prices such places as Amazon are great and a nightmare if something goes wrong.

About the Cali tax issue, without taxes, who would be paying to fight the wildfires....

Hi James.

( small thread tangent .. sorry )

You are definitely a class act and have perfectly described the monumental challenge facing the small business owner ... the big box store.

I for one have started to avoid these faceless and mindless conglomerates just for the reasons you have stated.

Guys have asked me why I support a local business even though it may cost a few $$$ more. The reason is always that I want the business to be there when I really need them and the customer service if miles ahead of some mega store with some punk that can only turn the volume up to blaring on a stereo amp.

Hang in there and know you are definitely on my radar when the GPS farkle comes do.

Regards

Ken .. aka Novaflyer

What kind of market would we have if every manufacture or producer of every product or good stipulated the selling price, and would not allow any retailer to mark the price down or ever have a "sale"?
What if gas prices were fixed by the gas company, and every gas station was forced to sell at exactly the same price? How about milk, or coffee, or cars, or you name it. And the manufacturer could set a ridiculously high price that the retailers would sell it for since no one could reduce the price. Then ALL retailers would be on equal footing, and it wouldn't matter where you bought anything cause the price would be the same anywhere. But on the other hand, no retailer could ever have any kind of sale or price reduction to help their sales. I suspect you wouldn't like having to do business in a market like that.

That is exactly what Garmin has done. They will not allow ANY retailer to reduce the price of any product on their MRP program, and the rumor out now is that Garmin is going to do this with ALL their products.

Maybe I am wrong, but this sure sounds like price fixing to me.
If you think that gas prices aren't 'fixed', then I have something to sell you. Milk, coffee, eggs AND cars all have arbitrary pricing - ever tried to negotiate for a Saturn?
As to the definition of price fixing: When SEVERAL manufacturers get together to arbitrarily set pricing for a commodity with a view to controlling it's price in the market. However you have to be able to prove it - and in the case of food products, there are often boards that set floor prices for them by region. The latter IS a form of price fixing, but legal.

Garmin can tell their resellers whatever they want. Price fixing would be if Magellan and Garmin both sold the same item and colluded to set the market price for the commodity at some arbitrary point. They don't. They set a suggestet retail price and a mnimum selling price. Dealers can sell within the range.

And, what IF every dealer had to sell at the same price? The dealers would start tossing in extras at no charge or, heaven forbid start offering better customer service as incentive to buy from them and/or to help them stand out from the crowd.

So you may not like it, but they CAN do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of market would we have if every manufacture or producer of every product or good stipulated the selling price, and would not allow any retailer to mark the price down or ever have a "sale"?
What if gas prices were fixed by the gas company, and every gas station was forced to sell at exactly the same price? How about milk, or coffee, or cars, or you name it. And the manufacturer could set a ridiculously high price that the retailers would sell it for since no one could reduce the price. Then ALL retailers would be on equal footing, and it wouldn't matter where you bought anything cause the price would be the same anywhere. But on the other hand, no retailer could ever have any kind of sale or price reduction to help their sales. I suspect you wouldn't like having to do business in a market like that.

That is exactly what Garmin has done. They will not allow ANY retailer to reduce the price of any product on their MRP program, and the rumor out now is that Garmin is going to do this with ALL their products.

Maybe I am wrong, but this sure sounds like price fixing to me.
The reason individual companies do it is to protect themselves and their AUTHORIZED retailers. My partner and I are very selective in who we allow to sell some of our vertical market software systems - we also have "fixed" pricing (though I will admit the vendor can price other hardware / services with the software any how they want).

Best Regards,

Shane