Garmin Zumo 550 mount rot

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rushes

Reaction score
I guess I'm posting this as a question as to how to keep it from happening again.

Remove when not in use and cover it with that handy magnetic cover I reckon.
smile.png

This one had been on the POSKLR for a long time with no problems. This morning it was dead. Saw the corrosion and wiped my glove across it and one little pin disintegrated.

Would a squirt of WD40 or a smear of grease or petroleum jelly occasionally be good or bad as an extra precaution?

20150801_105239_zps3e82a965.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think dielectric grease would do the trick, however, you already had one pin break on you, so you'd have to be careful when cleaning it. Might be time for another mount.

rushes-

At first I was wondering how the heck you got a photo of my mount. (
weirdsmiley.gif
)

My mount is missing the very same pin. I let mine go too long w/o maintenance also. If your mount is as like mine, it will not supply charge

from the bike as is. In the military we would use a pencil eraser to keep contacts clean. I am sure there are much better ways, but think primitive

when you think infantry.
rolleyes.gif

I would think dielectric grease would do the trick, however, you already had one pin break on you, so you'd have to be careful when cleaning it. Might be time for another mount.
Yeah, this one is shot, I'm just wondering what I can do better on the one that should be here by the end of next week.
smile.png

Also hoping this post makes some of you other goobers check your shit before it breaks.
thumbsup.gif

Besides dielectric grease on contacts and rubber seal, make sure you use the cover when you take the GPS off. Now I need to go look at mine. :)

I spray on some contact cleaner (with lube, presumably silicone) twice a year and work the pins up and down with a wooden popsicle stick or non-conductive plastic one, then wipe dry. I also occasionally clean the bottom of the Zumo with a pencil eraser and wipe on some of the same contact cleaner/lube. You'll likely see more discoloration on the mating pad on your Zumo.

I believe that #3 pin is 12V power from wherever you've hooked up the supply (switched or unswitched). I have disassembled an old mount, and those pins are a sealed module that contains all the pins..... not fixable if one breaks. I have revived a couple that were corroded though.

Since losing a Tomtom mount to corrosion (similar pins), I've always used petroleum jelly.

I just occasionally dab my finger in the pot and smear it across the contact pins, then wipe the excess off with a rag.

Not had a problem since I've been doing this, and rain is not unknown in my riding or over-night parking.

Since losing a Tomtom mount to corrosion (similar pins), I've always used petroleum jelly.
I just occasionally dab my finger in the pot and smear it across the contact pins, then wipe the excess off with a rag.

Not had a problem since I've been doing this, and rain is not unknown in my riding or over-night parking.
That's what I was thinking.

Just needed one of you smart guys to confirm. :)

Thanks!

Just MHO. I have a similar pin set up in the three BMW NAVIV mounts I use across my bikes. I use one Nav holder for each bike to allow Bluetooth helmet use, telephone and music for all my rides which makes things simpler. All the BMW holders come with a clip on cover which I use whenever the holder is empty. Whenever I remove the cover I use a small nail brush, dry without any liquid or other stuff and brush briefly over all the contacts. This way they have been clean for years without any corrosion, etc. I would be extremely reluctant to use any chemicals, or lubricants in that contact area. Chemicals will definitely flow past the contacts into the housing and cause just the corrosion you see in this picture. When current flows thru the contacts the current also facilities the creation of corrosion. Neither would I use any lubricants in that area as they all will attract dust and potentially trap moisture which will also lead to failure.

In this case only a new mount will restore correct operation. Everything else is just a waste of time.

.... Neither would I use any lubricants in that area as they all will attract dust and potentially trap moisture which will also lead to failure....
I have a slightly different take. I ride a fair bit in the rain. With the Tomtom, and I suspect other satnavs, water can creep between the satnav and its mount, so can get to and into the contact area.

My little smear of petroleum jelly stops moisture getting past the pins into the springs of the pins, which is where I had corrosion on my first mount before I started taking this precaution. Any residual moisture that does get past would evaporate due to the warmth of the cradle when operating.

I've never had a problem with dirt adhering to the petroleum jelly, though I don't often ride in dusty conditions.

Automakers apply dielectric grease to most every electrical connector on a car. New headlight bulb packaging also recommends re-applying the grease at replacement. IMO you can't do much better to protect the Garmin pins from galvanic corrosion than the dielectric grease and a cover if you have it.

Slightly different take on this but the above will work too. My two mounts are each 7 or 8 years old. Have well over 100K on one mount and probably 50K on the other. I never used any grease or similar but do cover with the flap boot when the GPS is not on the bike. I also cover with plastic if going to be exposed overnight or just outside in the rain.

I did have one mount go bad once, but it was the 3.5MM jack, not the main pins.

Thanks,