Gear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You just happen to pop down the road in Santa Barbara and I'm stuck in Milanwatching the factories close down...

Yeah, and what's up with Fiat? What's gonna happen once they blow through that 3 billion that GM handed them to get out of their buyout deal? Is the Itailain government prepared to step in?

I try my best to be safe.. but damnit, when it's 90º outside with 80% humdity, you tend to dress down. Mostly jeans, t-shirt, tennis shoes, FF helmet, and alot of luck.

besides, that mesh jacket doesn't do that much with when you have windscreen's as big as ours.

James

My mesh jacket is only ever so slightly warmer than just a tshirt. So close in fact that I've never neglected to wear my mesh jacket because I thought it was too hot outside. Granted, I've got the '03 windshield which is shorter.

My mesh jacket is only ever so slightly warmer than just a tshirt
Same results for me with my click here Cycleport Air Mesh Kevlar riding apparel (Jacket and pants). Since this is a new forum, I'll hop up on my safety apparel soapbox once more. I have conversed with Wayne Boyer, the owner of Cycleport apparel for about an hour and a half to this point. He recently was requested to give expert testimony in a lawsuit involving a girl who was hit on a bike while waiting at a stoplight (as in sitting still). She broke some bones, but the worst injury was from her Joe Rocket 'Ballistic Cloth' jacket, which melted and fused to the skin on her back as a result of sliding backward after impact. Polyester and Nylon is NOT safety gear, although it may be marketed as such. If you aren't wearing leather or Kevlar, you would be better off in a cotton tee or sweatshirt and some denim jeans. The good stuff ain't cheap, but it's a real bargain compared to skin grafting. I've said it before and I'll say it again, What would you wear if you knew you were going to crash on your next ride? How can you guarantee yourself that you won't go down whenever you mount up? Remember, the girl who was sitting at the light and was hit head-on. There's a lot more expense to motorcycling than the bike itself. Treat yourself and your pillion to some quality safety apparel.

I am the dissenter. I don't like helmets, seat belts or gear. Doesn't mean I don't wear them. But I don't want YOU to tell me I HAVE to. You can tell me, however that I SHOULD.

Having said that, I have a COOL Yamaha mesh jacket with light armour that is pretty slick. I have some other lightly armoured heavier gear and a heavy armoured Harley leather jacket that I wear when it's cold. Sidi boots are quite nice.

However, yesterday I rode my bike about 70 miles in shorts and a t-shirt. Ball cap. Did I feel naked? No. Did I know I would be road kill in an accident? Yes. But man, it was just too hot. And it was a pleasure cruise. Even did the speed limit. Was being passed by gray haired ladies in Neons. THAT did make me nervous.

I think someone already said that having gear on actually may keep you cooler, especially from the FJR heat.

I'm just glad that most my gear is not black. I ride with Harley guys and in the summer: black black black. Those guys are nuts. Leather is a great idea, but absorbing all those rays has to be tough on you.

I agree that no one should TELL anyone what they should or shouldn't wear. But how many articles do you have to read like the one in MCN, I think this month, about the lady recovering from road rash and the years of hell she went through, including the stay at the burn unit in the hospital, to figure out the level of risk in just laying one down slowly with no protection. I agree it's your choice and I respect that completely. But I wear either a BMW Venting Machine (complete Aramid mesh jacket/pants) with armor or a Teknic Spider Jacket with the convertable mesh/solid jacket with armor and Draggin jeans as an absolute minimum. Shoei Helmet, motorcycle gloves with knuckle and wrist protection and leather boots over the ankle as well. It's just too easy and relatively cheap to take a few precautions, even here in Hot AZ Hell Arizona IMHO. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,Toecutter,

Are you telling me that my Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket with armor is no good?

What specific jacket was the girl wearing?

Must have been hit pretty hard to slide her very far.

Can you provide more detail?

Thanks in advance!