Gen 1 vs Gen 2 exhaust

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, I'm still calling baloney. If one knows how a catalytic converter works, one should know that they don't work without excessive heat. I seriously doubt the heat necessary for a CC to do its job is present that far down the pipe. Maybe if it had some kind of electrical igniter to help it work, but anyone that has removed the pipes knows nothing is plugged in.

I would be VERY surprised to see some kind of catalytic converter lodged somewhere.in the muffler. Figure the mufflers plug in right behind the rider's feet. If they were running enough heat to make the necessary gas exchange and burn off the extra gasses, every GenII rider would be very aware of it.

Dave said that he can see the catalyst in the mufflers!

If someone has a damaged Gen 2 muffler and he can open it,the mystery will be solved!
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to be argumentative, Matt, but Yamaha, in their service manual, also calls for 31 lb-ft of torque on the oil drain bolt.
Folks who construct web pages are probably not as technically accurate as folks who write technical manuals, yet we all know about that torque debacle in the FSM.

I've just always been hesistant to accept the presence of additional catalyzers in the mufflers due to their distance from the exhaust headers, as well as the safety issue said catalyzers would create, generating the kind of heat they do where accidental burning could take place so easily.

And "Dual catalyzers and an O2 sensor are located in the exhaust for excellent fuel injection control range and low emissions" perfectly describes the two cat-con units located in the junction at the base of the headers. I don't think the language translates to "two additional catalyzers..." I think it was published thusly just to highlight the use of cat-cons to the FJR uninitiates.

35167.jpg

35168.jpg

It's this ambiguity (in my mind) that has always made me speculative of the "addition" of cat-cons inside the mufflers.
This photo is from a Gen1 or Gen 2 manifold pipes?If it is from a Gen1,then we must see if is the same and in a Gen2 or vice versa..Then the all mystery will be solved!

Both Gen's 1&2 have catalyst in the manifold pipes. It is the Gen2 that takes it a step further and has them in the exhaust pipes also. Dammit you guys are going to make drag my pipes back out and try and take some pictures again.

Hang on, back in a bit.

Dave

The Gen 3 has 'lightened' the exhaust (removed the extra cats) in order to add all the electrics AND decrease the weight.

-tangent- also ... on the matrix it shows the Gen 3 wheels as silver vs black. -end tangent-

OMFG!!!! I thought we were done squabbling over this shyte! It's not even freaking wintertime yet.

This is how it is. Why? Because the All-Knowing and Powerful SkooterG says so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gen I - No cats in the exhaust

Gen II - Additional cats in each exhaust

Gen III - No cats in the exhaust.

For you freaking idiots - not to mention names, but HotRodZilla and RadioHowie, folks have SEEN cats in the Gen II exhaust! And not only that, but in the past somebody weighed the Gen II exhaust vs. the Gen I and the Gen II was HEAVIER. OMG! I guess somebody could have shit in it to give it the extra weight?????

Fuck me to tears!

Skooter, you dumbass, no one has "seen" anything. A few have looked up a pipe and said they think there's something there, but until someone cuts one open and finds a catalytic converter, I'll hold my opinion.

Hell, maybe I'll have to admit you all are right, but I'm betting not. No one, not even you has even tried to answer this yet: How in the Hell would Yamaha get a CC to work that far down the pipes without the necessary heat? All the proponents just gloss over that like CCs work with glitter and magic, so anything will work wherever they want it to.

Show me the cats! Show me the cats! Show me the cats! Show me the cats! Show me the cats! Show me the cats!Show me the cats! Show me the cats! Show me the cats! Show me the cats! Show me the cats! Show me the cats!

...Hmmm..interesting thread...i just bought Muzzy cans from Ty who had them on his Gen II and i queried on wether they would fit my Gen I and this is the goddamn digression ??? Cats ?!!....Yoko is half Korean...dont see many small animals at all actually...anyway, only reason i finally got pipes is i'm pretty sure with 63K and 10 years, i got no damn ticker.......i'm a patient man...slow as old people screwing....but patient.....

Thanks for the deal Ty ! if things go awry...which is waaay likely in my case, hope to get help putting 'em on at the fall tech meet this weekend...a no brainer for most....probably dichotomous infinity for me....

Blessings,

Bobby

Also i am pretty sure that the Gen2 manifold pipes has a difference inside.Has a different part number from the Gen1.

Outside both are similar,fit perfect in a Gen1,also the Gen1 mufflers fit perfect on the Gen2 manifold pipes and vice versa.

But inside i am sure that has one or some differences,perhaps different catalyst or something like that...

If they made exactly the same manifold pipes for Gen1 & Gen2 the part number should be the same...

Also the Gen2 manifold pipes has a cheaper price than the Gen1.

I have noticed also that the colour of the metal on the Gen2 gets a much more bronze colour after some months than the Gen1.

My old manifold pipes for years remained inox to very light bronze colour.My Gen2 manifold pipes the colour became dark bronze after few months.

So,inside there is more heat from a different catalyst,or the quality of the metal is not so good...

64e23af2-aff9-4642-bb2a-d2bf124f5ffe_zps457b872a.jpg

There, you now you have PROOF !!!

The catalyst starts at the cone so to try an get a picture is very difficult.

Nuff said.