Gen 1 vs Gen 2 exhaust

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleTy

LOVE 2 RIDE & RIDE 2 LOVE
Reaction score
Has anyone ever done this or know if a Gen 2 exhaust will fit on a Gen 1 exhaust ? Please share your thoughts to help those that may not know.

There is no difference in the exhausts, at least to the extent that you can swap mufflers if that is what you need. I'm pretty sure the manifold pipes also fit.

We're looking to put a gen 2 aftermarket exhaust on a gen 1 bike.

Has anyone done this or have any knowledge to share?

Last edited by a moderator:
Canadian FJR, thank you for your reply.

Did you run the stock GEN 2 exhaust and aftermarket GEN 2 exhaust on you GEN 1 bike?

How did it fit? What are your thoughts to the conversion process?

Has anyone else done this before? Share your thoughts and knowledge in helping others.

Gen I and II mufflers are fit-interchangeable. No difference in fit.

However, there is unconfirmed speculation that Gen II mufflers contain supplementary catalytic converters in them that are not present in the Gen I mufflers.

It's been stated many times, but no one, to my knowledge, has ever opened up a Gen II muffler to offer photographic evidence of said "second stage" cat-cons.

However, there is unconfirmed speculation that Gen II mufflers contain supplementary catalytic converters in them that are not present in the Gen I mufflers.
Howie,

Every year I've done the matrix I've updated this by grabbing text DIRECTLY off Yamaha's website, so I believe it is confirmed. Each year I highlight the changes in green so, in 2006 when it says, "an additional catalyst and a heated oxygen sensor are located in the exhaust..." confirms it for me. Read the actual supporting pages I include in the matrix to decide for yourself. I would just note I'm not making that stuff up and typing it in. Almost all the sources are directly from Yamaha over the years.

That said, I do see a small goof and I will be updating in the near future in my little notes on the right about exhaust on the first page Gen 3 appear to have the same number as Gen 2....I read it incorrectly in 2013. "Dual catalyzers and an O2 sensor are located in the exhaust for excellent fuel injection control range and low emissions."

If that's unconfirmed speculation...then somebody really needs to open up their motor and measure to make sure its really 1298cc. We've taken that on the same type of faith level from the manufacturer. ;)

I can confirm that there is an extra catalyst in the Gen2 exhaust. I am currently running Gen1 exhaust on my Gen2.

I love having the extra 5HP using the Gen1 exhaust. I can only confirm that by the seat of my pants though.

Dave

Thank you HotRodZilla, RadioHowie, Mr. Ignacio and 08FJRME for your informative reply. Your knowledge is tremendously appreciated!

Share your thoughts and experience in regards to GEN 2 and GEN 1 being interchange in terms of aftermarket exhaust.

The reason I bought the Gen1 exhaust was because I didn't want to screw up my perfectly good Gen2 exharst to do the Trooper modification. So my Gen2 exhaust are currently hanging in the cellar from the rafters.

You may want to do a google search for the following: Trooper mod FJRforum.com

Dave

Not to be argumentative, Matt, but Yamaha, in their service manual, also calls for 31 lb-ft of torque on the oil drain bolt.

Folks who construct web pages are probably not as technically accurate as folks who write technical manuals, yet we all know about that torque debacle in the FSM.

I've just always been hesistant to accept the presence of additional catalyzers in the mufflers due to their distance from the exhaust headers, as well as the safety issue said catalyzers would create, generating the kind of heat they do where accidental burning could take place so easily.

And "Dual catalyzers and an O2 sensor are located in the exhaust for excellent fuel injection control range and low emissions" perfectly describes the two cat-con units located in the junction at the base of the headers. I don't think the language translates to "two additional catalyzers..." I think it was published thusly just to highlight the use of cat-cons to the FJR uninitiates.

35167.jpg

35168.jpg

It's this ambiguity (in my mind) that has always made me speculative of the "addition" of cat-cons inside the mufflers.

It's this ambiguity (in my mind) that has always made me speculative of the "addition" of cat-cons inside the mufflers.
Good point RH and I think fair. I guess it doesn't specify in cans that are the easily interchangeable part, but I still have no doubt there's additional catalyzer somewhere in the exhaust stream. In fact, rereading things it makes me think it's probably in proximity of the O2 sensor since its in the same sentence.

I'm not trying to be my usual grumpy self, but short of a boroscope photo, or a Gen II muffler autopsy, I'm just not a believer in "additional cat-cons" in the system. Sorry. :)

I have install Gen 2 manifold pipes in my Gen1.When i needed to replace them because they had dents from a pavement i bought them from the dealer and i don't know why,they sell me the Gen 2 part number (Last i noticed that when i saw the part number on the box) When i installed them i didn't noticed any difference,i thought that was the Gen 1 spare part manifold pipes.Outside they are similar without any difference,also the mufflers fits perfect without any problem.That i really don't know is,if there are some differences between the Gen1 and Gen 2 in the catalysts in the manifold pipes metal box where there are the two catalysts...

I can confirm that there is an extra catalyst in the Gen2 exhaust. I am currently running Gen1 exhaust on my Gen2.
I love having the extra 5HP using the Gen1 exhaust. I can only confirm that by the seat of my pants though.

Dave
You mean that the extra catalyst is in the muffler,two mufflers=two catalysts Dave?Or in the manifold pipes?The manifold pipes from what i see has two catalysts in the metal box.

Gen2's have Catalyst in both places!!!!! In the manifold and in the exhaust pipes. I tried to take pictures but since they are so far set back they weren't coming out to great. As stated before there are cat's. in the mufflers. I seen them with my own eyes.

Dave

Gen2's have Catalyst in both places!!!!! In the manifold and in the exhaust pipes. I tried to take pictures but since they are so far set back they weren't coming out to great. As stated before there are cat's. in the mufflers. I seen them with my own eyes.
Dave
I understand it now!Thanks Dave!