Gen 2 brake bleed procedure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSHANK42

Reaction score
Is this the correct order? I know it's been posted before but I'm stupid and my search criteria didn't do so well. Sorry.

1. Front left

2. Front right upper

3. Front right lower

4. Rear

5. Cycle ABS pump

6. Rear

Is this the correct order? I know it's been posted before but I'm stupid and my search criteria didn't do so well. Sorry.

1. Front left

2. Front right upper

3. Front right lower

4. Rear

5. Cycle ABS pump

6.  Repeat steps 1-4

Close.  Fixed it for you.

Just remember that the front right lower is bled using the rear brake.  Do the clutch while you are at it.  Good time to clean and lube the levers (including remove, clean and grease brass bushing on clutch side).  Clean and grease rear brake pivot.  Do shifter linkage too.

I totally concur with Mr. Rbentnail.  Speed Bleeders are the cat's ass.  I have them on my VTR and my FJR.  Any future bike will get them immediately.  Worth every penny.

Eureka!!! That must be why I keep having a soft brake pedal. I've bled the rear brakes a dozen times, and no joy. I've never done the lower right from the rear reservoir.  I'm all over this tomorrow. Thanks.
TG,

It does help to bleed that front caliper, when bleeding the rear brakes.  I can give you a few good tips there, also.  The usual bleeding process probably will not get the excellent results that you want.

First, clean and lube the rear brake pivot, before you start the brake bleeding.  This is normal maintenance anyway, but it is important here.  Next, rig your catch tube from the bleeder vertically (at least a few inches upward) to keep the air out of the catch tube while you work.

Then, do the brake bleeding as you would normally, sure, but add this item: Once you press the brake lever down, side-step the pedal, letting the pedal spring itself back up, as rapidly as it can go.  Repeat as needed.  Allowing the brake pedal come up with your foot on it is just too slow to move air out of the system, which is what you want gone.  These tips should give you a like-new brake pedal result, when finished.  SpeedBleeders do help, also.

Can the procedure become a sticky somewhere or listed in the common questions area? Might help a few people in the future. Especially if they suck at searches like I do.

IMHO it really makes no difference in which order you bleed the brakes as long as you release fluid from all 4 bleed nipples utilizing the correct reservoir. Don't overthink it.

IMHO it really makes no difference in which order you bleed the brakes as long as you release fluid from all 4 bleed nipples utilizing the correct reservoir. Don't overthink it.
Agreed, although I think it is better to bleed the front right lower before the rear (using brake pedal). The further nipple is more likely to trap a bubble. As far as the actuation of the ABS pump is concerned, I did it for the first time in 400,000 FJR kilometers on my last brake service. I make a point of exercising the ABS in a sandy parking lot from time to time to test and make sure stagnant fluid doesn't remain in the ABS block.

Sorry if I missed it.....Are there two brake circuits? Is the rear pedal linked into the front lines or is it it's own line to the front caliper?
My lever feel is great but I'm haunted by the pedal going soft and would prefer just to work on the pedal circuit if possible?

Sorry if I missed it.....Are there two brake circuits? Is the rear pedal linked into the front lines or is it it's own line to the front caliper?
My lever feel is great but I'm haunted by the pedal going soft and would prefer just to work on the pedal circuit if possible?
For Gen II nd Gen III+. the front brake lever actuates the two piston pairs on the left front caliper plus the upper piston pair on the right front caliper. The rear braking circuit, actuated by the brake pedal, activates the rear brake PLUS the lower piston pair on the right front brake caliper. This is the "linked" brake system on FJR's for 2006 and up.

If you find this description a little confusing, look up under the front end, following the brake hoses. Two that are connected are front brake lever actuated. The single hose is rear pedal actuated. And get a Haynes manual, very clear instructions and pictures.