Gen 3.6 - New Transmission Shifting Issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some bizarre comments here.... I haven't seem any of these issues on my Gen 4. At all.

That said.... life conspires this past year to not let me ride the bike like I want to.... only managed 6000 miles to date. So if this is something that takes time to "develop", perhaps I haven't seen it yet.

My speculation is that that isn't the case - regardless, I've experienced no shifting issues of any type.

IMO, the Gen-4's six speed transmission has (for me) changed the character of the bike to a noteworthy degree. Various mountain grades, sweepers, and tighter twisties that I've ridden a gajillion times over the past on 3 different 5-speed FJRs, is simply a different experience on the Gen 4. Depending upon the incline, sweeper or corner; I frequently find that I have to use a different gear, or rev setting (or both) than I would on the Gen 1-3 bikes. Bit of a learning experience, but not a huge screaming deal.

The 6-speed, slipper clutch, and LED lighting are what makes the Gen 4 truly stand out.

We still have one of the finest sport-touring chassis on the planet. We always have had this.
punk.gif

I was having severe upshift issues with my bike when it was new. At times it would not upshift at all no matter how hard I lifted on the shift lever. It was like it was stuck in gear. What I finally tracked it down to was the position of the lever in relation to the thickness of my boot. It wasn't allowing the lever to return to the start position after each upshift. Because of this the ratchet could not catch the next cog and it was just trying to shift into the same gear over and over. Once I adjusted the lever higher to adjust for the position/thickness of my riding boots it now shifts quick and smooth. I think this may be the nicest shifting transmission I have had in a bike for longer than I can remember.