Gen I suspension settings

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnergold2B

Reaction score
What you'll need for the adjustments; Owner's Manual, 17mm wrench for the front preload adjustment, regular screwdriver for the front compression damping. Here's the ballpark settings recommended by SportRider for an '05. I am only *guessing* it's the relatively same suspension parts for Gen I Feejers...input welcome of course!

Front preload 2 lines showing (adjust w/17mm wrench)

Front rebound 4 clicks out

Front compression 7 clicks out

Rear preload Hard position

Rear rebound 3 clicks out

For '04 models the OEM Manual has great pics and detailed explanations of process on pages 3-13 through 3-15

You'll be amazed!

Oh yeah, here's a linky for the complete list of bikes they've tested and suspension setting ballparks. I've found 'em to be pretty good and fun...

https://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_street...nsion_settings/

Last edited by a moderator:
Those settings are a start. You can keep refining for your personal needs and bike's options, like tires, air, load, etc.

Those settings are a start. You can keep refining for your personal needs and bike's options, like tires, air, load, etc.

Sorry dude, I can clicky all day long and my bike still drags stuff Penske sent me the wrong spacers and I am down till the new ones arrive (I am NOT putting the old one back in)

My bike has been down since two days after WFO... I am getting antsy

Those settings are a start. You can keep refining for your personal needs and bike's options, like tires, air, load, etc. - Pending proper equipment.

Sorry dude, I can clicky all day long and my bike still drags stuff Penske sent me the wrong spacers and I am down till the new ones arrive (I am NOT putting the old one back in)

Better?

Those settings are a start. You can keep refining for your personal needs and bike's options, like tires, air, load, etc. - Pending proper equipment.

Better?
funny and 'antsy' and 'nasty' use the same letters.

There is no "correct setting" for suspension without taking the rider's weight, personal tastes and riding style into account. On the stock suspension, I had 1/2 a click showing on preload. TWN hates how I have my suspension set up (when I'm fully loaded with a weeks gear and my laptop)

Yup, just a starter for the folks that have never done it, or for those who are looking for a base point of settings to start with. I've noticed there seems to be a tendency to throw $1000 shocks at these machines and hope for them to be a cure-all. $1000 shocks need adjusting too!! :help:

Repeat after me - trial and error, trial and error.

Suspension adjustments can drive ya' crazy trying to find the "sweet" spot.

Don't laugh at me, I've never done this before....

Do you need to put the bike on a lift to adjust or can you just adjust while it's on the center stand???

The center stand works for me. And I've done a bit of adjusting on my 04. Anyone know if those setting wrok good with the Wilber's springs in the front forks and the Wilber rear shock? Just asking, don't shot me.

Tom

Don't laugh at me, I've never done this before....
Do you need to put the bike on a lift to adjust or can you just adjust while it's on the center stand???
I'm definitely NOT laughing at you - ya' got more guts than I do!!!!

I tried to do it once on a Honda 750 - finally gave up on the process.

All the local dealer could tell me was "well... it can be a hard thing to do."

He was very helpfull.

Now - I just ride 'em they way they are and deal with it. I'm probably trying to make it rocket science when it's really something simple - dunno...