General Dislikes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an 1100 Shadow. It is a completely different type of bike. It's a nice change of pace bike that is no fun to try and ride fast, so it's more of a relaxing type ride. And it is still fun to ride.

That said, 14 out of 15 rides I am taking the FJR. You just can't compare the two.

It's been tough to get used to the kind of riders that the FJR seems to attract. I'm sure the O.P. does not want to associate with such riff raff. From coast to coast, it just seems there is no end to the insanity. Stay safe! Stay away!

DeathValleyDay3020.jpg

DSC_0764_05-05-2014.jpg

RubenRun116.jpg

WheatonFJR076.jpg

"Don't forget about cleaning the grass and dirt off after YOU go off-road!"

It's not off-roading, it's adventure touring!

Last edited by a moderator:
I also hate having to pay for gas and tires.
That's the short list.

Other things include the layer of dust that builds up on my Wingabago.

But seriously folks... The first problem I had reared it's head on the first day.

I'd flown from SoCal to PHX and rode home - 420 mile "honeymoon". As I finished filling the tank and started to ride up the hill toward my house, I realized that it was time to get off the bike.

Bummer.

I'd flown from SoCal to PHX and rode home - 420 mile "honeymoon". As I finished filling the tank and started to ride up the hill toward my house, I realized that it was time to get off the bike.

Bummer.
I felt like that at the end of the "How the West Was Won" Rally. After 32 hours and 1400 miles on the bike, collecting bonuses and having fun, I was surprised that it was time to get off :D

I've had a 2014 ES since last Tuesday. So far I love it and sadly haven't put a single mile on my Roadliner S since the FJR rolled into my garage. It's a whole different type of ride than a cruiser, not necessarily better or worse, just different. I think they actually compliment each other nicely with each bike being able to do what the other can do in some ways. I can get sporty and certainly tour long distances with my Roadliner and the FJR can take it easy and cruise.

Now back to the initial question, I would say that after about 400 miles in past week my #1 issue is the the position of the stock mirrors. Great if I want to look at my elbows and shoulders but I just ordered the mirror extenders to increase the view as I don't feel safe not being able to see directly behind me.

I also ordered the Yamaha touring shield because I was a little concerned about the stock size, although the more I ride with it, the more used to it I have gotten.

All in all, this is one sweet ride and I am so glad I got it!

Madmatt

Hi All, I'm still considering an FJR, but I was wondering what generally puts people off of an FJR? Does it seem too big, tall, hard to ride?
A couple things about my current ride, a cruiser, is that I do not like sitting back, not able to stand up. Feels like I'm hanging on and getting blown off the seat. The riding position is not good for any quick responses. I also do not like the lack of power (~60HP), but the torque is nice.
My first bike was a Harley Sportster bought in 2003. I had no experience of any other kinda bike.

Then one day after 2 years and 47,000 miles on the sporty, my buddy let me ride his BMW K1200RS.

"Feck me!--So THIS is what a bike is capable of!"

So I'll reverse your question about what I don't like about the FJR (can't actually think of anything), and say what I didn't like about the Sportster (similar to your current ride) and why I stopped riding it after getting the FJR before finally selling the cruiser.

The cruiser didn't do well any of the three vehicle performance characteristics required IMHO for long-term survival riding a motorcycle (particularly in rush-hour traffic), viz., braking, swerving, accelerating. Hell, I'd be going 80MPH on the Harley, see some SOB in a big SUV coming up on my 6 (when I could see at all in the vibrating mirrors) like a bat outta hell, and I'd try to make myself scarce. Well, 80 was about the best it could do. I once broke 100 on the Sporty, but it had to reach waaaaaay down to find it; and it took me about 90 minutes on a downhill grade to get there; besides feeling like the world was gonna come to an end. (On the FJR, 100 MPH ain't what it used to be.)

As for brakes, they were more like bicycle brakes, taking a long time to coax the vehicle to a stop.

And with that rake, swerving (let alone the tight swerving required within a high metal density commuting environment) is pretty much not an option.

I also didn't like the vibration (pre-rubber mountings), the force required to pull in the clutch, the sloping back posture.... I do still think Sportsters are cool, though, and would like another one in my garage for fun around-town jaunts.

So in short, after experiencing the performance characteristics and handling capabilities of the FJR, I just didn't feel safe getting back on the cruiser for anything beyond going to the market.

The FJR is just the opposite of all that, of course. And BTW, the FJR is reliable as hell (my Sporty had some chronic issues that I had to keep taking it into the shop for), and runs on regular gas. Of course looking like a moto cop on the FJR in some cager's rearview mirror is a small benefit as well, because sometimes they'll move over.

What don't I like about the FJR....? It's perhaps too easy to scrape a peg. Some people say they're hot (though being from SoCal I like to say they're, not hot, but bitchin'.) Their width, including with bags, is no constraint to lane sharing.

Can't think of anything. Good all-around bike: long trips, short trips, commuting, twisties. And they're a bee-u-ti-ful!

Last edited by a moderator:
Biggest complaint: the bike just keep running and I can't justify getting a new yet.
Totally my issue too. I have an '05 (my second, after blowing up my first '05 at 62,000 miles or such)--I have an '05 with 52,000 miles, and it just runs great! Throw into the equation all the add-ons and adjustments that would not transfer to a newer model, and I cannot justify getting a new bike.
no2.gif

General Dislike ?...nope...i was a Navy dude....i did, however, work for a Commander Numnutts, Chief Bunghoe, and Admiral Kirk....4 out of 5 of my weekly hallucinations all recommend the FJR....its the tonic thats sonic bro....climb a broad...

I've been riding for about 6 years (guess that's still considered a "new rider") but have owned 4 bikes during that time. My first one was a Ninja 500...which I rode for a year and wanted something bigger. 2nd bike was a CBR 954 RR. Both of those started to hurt my wrists and fingers (tingling and going numb). Being "over 40" I decided I wanted something comfortable, so picked up a 2006 Honda VTX 1800. Rode that for about 3 and 1/2 seasons, with no complaints except for the fact that I missed the ability to lean into the corners like I could on the sport bike (and storage - I never added saddlebags or anything else to the VTX). About a month ago I bought a 2005 FJR 1300 and have put a little over 1,000 miles on it already. It's the perfect mix for me between a sport bike and a cruiser - it provides the comfort as well as the handling and cornering ability I was missing on the cruiser. I haven't found a single thing (yet) that I do not like about the FJR and wish I had bought it as my first bike, as it would probably still be my only bike.
punk.gif

With a name like Surly, I'm really pissed that there is so very little to complain about this bike. Heck this bike really makes me smile so i guess that could be considered a dislike by some!

Surly

My biggest dislike with the 06 FJR is that I have to work and don't ride as much as I'd like to. The other dislikes have been cured by replacing the original seat with a used Corbin and recently adding FZ1 mirrors. Some of the other dislikes I've seen include weight, top heaviness and getting it on the center stand, However since I came to the FJR via a +900lb 1984 Yamaha Venture those complaints seem silly. The FJR seems featherlight to me and I can get it on the centerstand in bare feet. I highly recommend the FJR.