German Saddle Sore 1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBEmerson

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I finally got a chance to spend some time reading an article in Tourenfahrer (German "Touring Rider" magazine) about trying to ride from Hamburg to Vienna on a Moto Guzzi. The "project" from a 20+ years ago marathon ride in something well under 24 hours. Moto Guzzi got involved in this "recreating the ride" project. The article's author thought somebody would follow along in a car to support riding in shifts. Moto Guzzi "one rider only". The around trip is about 1200 miles. The account reads like the accounts of "never pulled it" attempts at a Saddle Sore 1K. The weather gets in the way, late start, generally feeling beat and unhappy, etc., etc. But the part that surprised everyone is making the trip in 24 hours seems to be a real, logistical challenge, even in the land of the no speed limit (in places) autobahn system. Traffic at rush hour was a complaint, but the biggie is construction areas. A few miles here, a few miles there, a lotta miles somewhere else, and almost all of them held to 45 mph. And traffic jams leading up to them. (BTDT - tore t-shirt in frustration) Part of the run, through Czechia (or whatever they call the country today), their "autobahn" speed limit is 80 mph, and 55(!) on open roads. Austria also caps autobahn speed at 80, but open roads are up to 60(!). And don't forget to buy your toll sticker. Oh, and Austria enforces speed limits with radar cameras, etc. No idea about Czechia but I'm sure they're not passing up on a revenue stream...

The point of all of this being, frustrating as some rides may seem, you could be trying for an IBA milestone in Germany, the land of the no speed limit autobahn and the endless construction areas. ;)

One day I hope to ride over seas. But it will not be a long distance ride, and I will not be very concerned about speed. I'll probably start with making sure I'm riding on the correct side of the road, and learning to interpret signs, and then go to hoping I don't kill myself or anyone else while trying to gaze at the incredible overlooks.

Unless you head to the UK, side of the road is not an issue. Signs aren't that hard to sort out. At least the signs that really matter. The "danger of falling into a canal" (there is one!) is pretty obvious. Parking and access (open to everybody, only the folks who live here, bicycles and hikers only, etc.) can be a little obscure. In short, it ain't that hard.

Long distance rides are certainly possible. If the idea is to go, in 24 hours, from drinking a St. Pauli in Hamburg to a Sacher Torte (have fun with Google - hint: Good!) in Vienna, with a bit(!) of route twisting it could be done. Maybe. OTOH it's quite easy to pick, for example, a part of Germany and not get that far from home. And, of course, there's pass hunting in the Alps. Rubbernecking can be a challenge, but in lots of places it's getting the overall feel for the area. Major scenery spots are usually well marked. Castles... forget it. They're like weeds in some areas (Rhine, for example). Many are ruins and not open. But some have hotels, etc. And they're marked. Schedule in "stop to smell the roses" time during a day's ride and you're good to go.

For anyone wanting to take their bike to Europe, it's not that hard. At least Lufthansa and Air Canada do "fly and ride" with your bike showing up when you do +/- a day. Subject to flight costs, the break-even point vs. renting is somewhere around three weeks. Plan on a month there and life is good. FWIW, I don't remember who pointed it out and who does the rental, but someone in Frankfurt rents FJR's.

Having drifted way off Iron Butt stuff, I'll be happy to continue somewhere in rides and gatherings.