Get out of 2nd gear much around town?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

87Doodle

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I was reading the thread about 6th gear on here and I have a question for the brethren.

Most of the time within the urban/suburban city limits I find myself going no faster than 45 mph tops, as it would not be prudent to go any faster for a number of reasons.

I like to keep the FJr above 5,000 where she makes sweet power, and blip the throttle for the fun of it and let the engine compression quickly bring me back down.

I prefer riding above 5,000 in 2nd then cruising in 3rd or 4th, even though she will pull from down there too.

Does anyone else ride this way in town?

Outside of city limits I find all the gears , but I don't see needing a 6th for the great majority of my riding.

I usually just idle it conservatively around town. The only time I use upper RPMs is when I get the urge to accelerate hard or when making time on the highway. I'm not a huge fan of the engine breaking or winding up the engine more than needed.

I usually just idle it conservatively around town. The only time I use upper RPMs is when I get the urge to accelerate hard or when making time on the highway. I'm not a huge fan of the engine breaking or winding up the engine more than needed.

I asked the forum about weather running above 5,000 was bad for the engine and most responses indicated that is does no harm to the bike at all ( I'm not speaking here about going to redline all the time).

Here is that thread

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...c=23150&hl=

Last edited by a moderator:
Around town is commuting and I'm in 5th by 40.

Umm, can I use your gas card? You won't notice the little gas I use compared to what you must be.

I typically shift around 5k for normal riding. Town, where I live, is only two blocks long so I don't shift much in town. :p

Riding around town @ 5000rpm is strange...the buzz alone would drive me nuts. But then I may be nuts already :blink:

There is no reason to not shift into higher gears around town...after all bikes like the FJR are made to be shifted frequently

just my 2cents

Around town I'm in third @30 mph, fourth @45 mph. Even coming down a long hill where the speed limit is 25 mph and cops are always out I find second to be revving too high for my taste and usually end up shifting into third.

Using upper range of RPM only for a spirited riding or passing. Generally I am under 4 for shifting in town.

It is really strange that in the same post you talk about safety aspect and your reason to be in the upper range to have fun. I am not sure how much fun one can really have in the city. Plus, I am sure you are using your brakes to let drivers behind you know that you are engine braking.

I tend to ride where the engine is at a relaxed RPM, unless maximum power is required RIGHT NOW. I think it goes toward economy and engine longevity (there's only so many cycles in all those parts that go round and round and up and down). It sounds like you come from a sportbike background where there is little power unless you're in the 6,000-9,000 RPM range. This engine was designed with balls (torque) to pull smoothly, flatly, strongly from 2,500 and up. No need at all - not even "fun" - to run at 5,000 around town, IMHO.

I asked the forum about weather running above 5,000 was bad for the engine and most responses indicated that is does no harm to the bike at all ( I'm not speaking here about going to redline all the time).

Here is that thread

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...c=23150&hl=
+1 on what AFCJER said for most of my around town riding. Sometimes I will twist the throttle hard, but for normal, red light to red light riding, I don't really like winding it up that much. I would bet that running it above 5000 will not hurt the motor, I just get tired of hearing it scream all the time. It's your bike and if you prefer to ride it that way, have fun. Pretty sure the RPM police won't pull you over...unless it's close to the end of the month and their quota hasn't been met. :)

Using upper range of RPM only for a spirited riding or passing. Generally I am under 4 for shifting in town.
It is really strange that in the same post you talk about safety aspect and your reason to be in the upper range to have fun. I am not sure how much fun one can really have in the city. Plus, I am sure you are using your brakes to let drivers behind you know that you are engine braking.

I'm speaking more about the 'burbs here, where I reside. I rarely ride into the 'city' proper.

I don't think riding safely excludes reasonable fun by any means. I think safety is an attitude, not an RPM range.

Before I installed Wally's Smoothness Map I didn't really have much smoothness above 5,000, but now I don't mind at

all.

I suppose one way to explain what 'safe fun' is for me is just to be in touch with the power the mill makes around 5,000 and just to have a little blip from 5,000 to 6,000 when its prudent to do so. That certainly is fun when the traffic conditions allow it.

I enjoy having the power on tap to get out of the way of wandering, distracted, lane changing cagers as well.

Good point about the brake light and engine decompression. I suspect sometimes I don't use the brake light.

ahh, burbs is a bit different then city limits. Still I do not like reving the engine. It is a huge COP magnet. They have ears/eyes trained to spot you coming. And I do not like giving them more then I already do to pull me over.

I ride around 4000 rpm most of the time, which means I'm in 3rd in a 45mph zone, 4th up to 65 or so. If I'm out for a "spirited" ride in the twisties, I will ride it at 5-6k rpm for the engine braking and quick response, sometimes taking it up to 7k or more.

Noooooooo! You are shifting too high! It's gonna explode and you'll void your warranty!

Recommended shift points per Gen I MOM:

1st to 2nd: 12.5 MPH

2nd to 3rd: 19 MPH

3rd to 4th: 25 MPH

4th to 5th: 31 MPH

Remember: MOM knows best!

:p

Around town I'm in third @30 mph, fourth @45 mph. Even coming down a long hill where the speed limit is 25 mph and cops are always out I find second to be revving too high for my taste and usually end up shifting into third.
+1 Exactly how I ride. It seems 5K in 2nd would really make the engine sing and could draw unwanted attention. I don't want people on the street to go "geesh learn how to shift newbie" as I scream by in 2nd. I know that is what I would think if someone passed me at 5K in 2nd gear.

I ride around 4000 rpm most of the time, which means I'm in 3rd in a 45mph zone, 4th up to 65 or so. If I'm out for a "spirited" ride in the twisties, I will ride it at 5-6k rpm for the engine braking and quick response, sometimes taking it up to 7k or more.
+1 In town I'm a "shifting fool" - keeping it <= 4000. But your riding style is just that - YOURS! Go for it!

Glad someone else brought up the RPM question around town! I find myself around 3k in town I assume it's better on fuel and I don't need to attract attention to myself anymore that I already do!! Just because the bike can go 60mph (i am guessing) in 2nd gear doesn't mean you have to.