• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Getting Parts Painted

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mehaffydr

Reaction score
I had some nasty schratches in my side case and priced a new one. :( ouch. Someone suggested I contact Garauld After contacting him he gave me a very good price and even included return shipping. I got the cover back and it looks Great. :yahoo: Pretty much like it did before it was scrached. The color is great, match is good. I would suggest contacting Gary for any paintwork needed and he also makes some cool racks.

This is not a paid endorsement just a Happy customer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had some nasty schratches in my side case and priced a new one. :( ouch. Someone suggested I contact Garauld After contacting him he gave me a very good price and even included return shipping. I got the cover back and it looks Great. :yahoo: Pretty much like it did before it was scrached. The color is great, match is good. I would suggest contacting Gary for any paintwork needed and he also makes some cool racks.
This is not a paid endorsement just a Happy customer.
Did you send just the cover? Also, if you could PM me what a "very good price is" I'd certainly appreciate it.

Did you send just the cover? Also, if you could PM me what a "very good price is" I'd certainly appreciate it.
FWIW, I did the cover only for Mike for $90 returned back to him. I used Colorite paint for his. PM me if you need yours done. It would cost a bit more for shipping the whole bag.

Thanks.

FWIW, I did the cover only for Mike for $90 returned back to him. I used Colorite paint for his. PM me if you need yours done. It would cost a bit more for shipping the whole bag.

Thanks.
garauld, I have a saddlebag injury from early last year that I'd like to get fixed at some point. The gouges are thru the paint & into the lid itself. I'm thinking that you must sand the bag b4 painting?

Also, if I were to drill the rivets out tor emove the cover, are the rivets hard to replace?

Heidi

The gouges are thru the paint & into the lid itself. I'm thinking that you must sand the bag b4 painting?
The gouges will be fiilled and the whole cover will be painted using acrylic urethane BC/CC paint - same as my racks. It's very durable.

Also, if I were to drill the rivets out tor emove the cover, are the rivets hard to replace?
There is a thread on the rivets issue - they are a special size avalable from Yamaha. Send a PM to mehaffydr - he is about ready to reinstall his cover and can answer your questions.

IMGP0356.jpg

I took a couple of pics they are not great but you can see that the paint matches.

I will double check that rivet size when I get home tonight. I will try to get better pics in sunlite. But as you can see it does match.

Gary your probly correct 5/16" has got to be wrong the more I think about it that is a big rivet.

The gouges are thru the paint & into the lid itself. I'm thinking that you must sand the bag b4 painting?
The gouges will be fiilled and the whole cover will be painted using acrylic urethane BC/CC paint - same as my racks. It's very durable.

There is a thread on the rivets issue - they are a special size avalable from Yamaha. Send a PM to mehaffydr - he is about ready to reinstall his cover and can answer your questions.
Thank you Gary, I will definitely be back with you about this & I am sure it will be after the holidays... but want to resolve the scratches.

Mike, I'd really appreciate it if you did clarify the rivet size. Will also search this topic.

Happy Holidays guys,

Heidi

Heidi,

I have a cheapo rivet gun that works fine on 3/16" rivets. Or you can pick one up at Lowe's for about $20.

I would suggest using 3/16" Stainless Steel Rivets, not aluminum. You can find them in small packs at most Tru-Value/Ace hardware stores or at boat supplies. Yamaha uses them in exhaust systems too so I bet the correct size is 3/16".

The SS rivets are physically much tougher than aluminum and don't break or release as easily under high frequency vibration. Don't confuse SS rivets with the steel ones. No comparison.

My .02

Jeff

Jeff that sounds like a good idea for SS rivets I had not seen anything but steel and Al. and didnt want rust. So I went with the al I will look for the SS.

Thanks

MIke

I too am interested in getting the cover repainted. Is it difficult to remove the cover? I have to drill out the rivets...is this correct? The I'll have to purchase a rivet gun as well. Hmmm It'd prolly be best to ship the entire bag it seems.

Because of size and wieght it would be expensive to ship entire sidecase. It is really very simple to remove and replace cover. You can get a rivet gun for about 20 dollars. It takes a very minimal amount of time to remove just go slow with drill so you dont slip and get the plastis.

I am not convinced SST rivets are the way to go because of the large amount of force needed to pop the rivet mandrel. You may end up squeezing and cracking the cover plastic. Are the stock rivets SST? It seems to me that 3/16" aluminum rivets would be strong enough.... my $.02...

I am not convinced SST rivets are the way to go because of the large amount of force needed to pop the rivet mandrel. You may end up squeezing and cracking the cover plastic. Are the stock rivets SST? It seems to me that 3/16" aluminum rivets would be strong enough.... my $.02...
Garauld is right. Looks like the stainless steel rivets are too much for the plastic.

Being the good friend and all that I am... I went out to the garage and proceeded to tear apart one of my working perfectly side bags. (Actually, it has a scratch that I was considering repainting, but don't tell Heidi that!).

The Yamaha rivets are metric, no surprise there! They are 4.0 mm aluminum.

1/8" rivets are way too small, 3/16" are way too big. If you want to use an easily available 3/16" aluminum rivet, then you must:

A. Drill out the existing rivets using a 9/64" drill bit (closest fractional size).

B. Use a large flat screwdriver or similar object to fish out the inner metal reinforcing plate. Note - It is stuck to the inside of the panel with a pretty darn good doublestick tape.

C. Drill all three surfaces (hinge, metal inner plate, sidebag plastic lid) with a 3/16" bit. Drill each of the three separately. I would not recommend trying to drill the plastic and the inner plate in place. You really need to clean out all the debris from the old rivets and get new, accurately sized holes.

I'm going to replace my experimentally screwed-up hinge rivets with 3/16" aluminums. It would take my Yamaha dealer six months to get metric rivets and all the auto parts stores I called said "Huh, metric wrenches???".

:angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

FYI, 5/32" dia. aluminum rivets (.156") are readily available in good HW stores. These are the same size as 4mm (.157") rivets. I am not sure of the length required, however.

Thanks.
Almost exactly a year later . . .

I am the proud owner of a new black cherry red 2007 FJR. As I am sure you know, the two side panels (the ones that say "FJR") are painted silver. How much would you charge to paint these black cherry if I couriered them to you? Can you match the color without having the bike? What is the turnaround time?

Thanks!