Getting too hot and no fan

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boxer

Reaction score
I've searched but can't find answers. I would appreciate some help

Bike is a 2nd Gen AE with 30k miles. I've noticed lately that the temperature is staying higher than it

has previously. Commuting at 80 mph, 65 F the temp will be 1 bar short of center. Pull up to a light

at the off ramp and the temperature goes up to 1 bar past center but the fan doesn't kick in. Only

pulling away and air blowing over the radiator seems to bring the temp back down.

Twice now on warm days, 90 F, I'm stopped at a light and when I try to take off I give it throttle but

other than reving up nothing happens. Glance at the dash and the ECU light is on and the temp shows 2 bars above center.

Only turning the key off then back on again turns the light off and I can now move along. Very slowly the temp

comes back down and I'm fine as long as I'm moving. Warm day temps stay +/- 1 bar from center

and I never hear the fan.

When the ECU light came on I didn't notice any error code. More worried about getting my ass run

over. I've gone through the diagnostic tests and I don't see any error codes listed. The fan test

works properly and the fans on.

My guess is that there is something in the fan circuit not working properly. But on the freeway at speed

with cool temperatures I wouldn't expect the fan to be needed so I don't understand the higher temp.

If the thermostat is a problem I'd expect the ECU to turn the fans on but that doesn't seem to be

happening at slow speeds. I have let the bike idle on a warm afternoon and get two bars above center

and shut it off then turn the ignition to ON expecting to hear the fans but they never came on.

Anyone got an idea how to properly search this forum for help or share your experience please.

By the way, this is my second FJR. Previous bike I had to 90k miles and it always stayed in the lower

third of the temp range unless I was stopped on a hot day. Then the fans roared to life and quickly

lowered the temp. So I am a little familiar with what I'd consider normal.

Fan shouldn't come on until 3 bars over centre if I remember correctly. If you are only seeing two, I don't think that's your immediate problem. In any cause, engine over-temperature would not prevent the clutch engaging when you rev the engine.

I don't know what your problem is, but engine over-temperature is not causing your lack of drive, you need to look elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Gen2 '07 A model does as others describe:

- normal is one bar below center except when ambient dips down near 45-48*F. Then 'normal' is 2 bars below center.

- fans come on after a time delay after reaching 2 bars above center, like the fan setpoint is nearer the 3-bars-above-center temperature.

AFAIK, it seems to me the temperature and fan control system are working properly. The CEL and no-go/rev thing may or may not be related but at this point I tend to think not. I would be searching for some way to replicate the problems so I could search for codes while the CEL light is on and not get my ass run over while doing it.

CEL and failure to engage the auto clutch have nothing to do with the temperature "issues". (By the way, I don't think there is anything wrong with the temperatures or fan behavior.) You need to check for stored codes - probably something related to the AE.

Same as everyone else on the fan, turns on at three bars above center and a lot of heat is getting pushed off.

The no go issue, getting an A should fix that problem.
biggrinsmiley.gif