Givi E46 rear trunk - Like or Dislike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has your Givi E46 ever come off while riding?

• I have ridden 100+mph with the trunk and it's never come off.

Votes: 27 75.0%
  • Several years & 30,000+ miles on my Givi Trunk with no issues.

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • My Givi trunk has come off once before.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • My Givi trunk has come off multiple times.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't ride in excess of 80mph with a Givi Trunk.

• I've used Fred W.'s clevis pin fix and have not had any issues since.

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Givi trunks suck...use this other brand instead (explain below)

• Other (Explain below)

• Total voters

GeorgiaRoller

Exit Stage Left
Reaction score
I'm ready to order my first trunk for this bike and want to go with the Givi E46 (unless anyone has a better suggestion). I think this is more than enough storage space for my needs and I don't need the bigger E55 case.

My question & poll is pertaining to the issue I've read about with some riders saying they have completely lost their trunks while riding. Apparently some of the Givi trunks don't seem to latch correctly or there is too much play in them with how they attach to the mounting plate. So I was curious as to what the failure rate is on them.

Fred W had posted some time ago what looks like an excellent fix for additional attachment security by installing some clevis pins Givi Trunk Fix (last post at the bottom of page).

All that have Givi trunks please way in on the poll above or by posting your experience.

Multiple Poll answers enabled.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm ready to order my first trunk for this bike and want to go with the Givi E46 (unless anyone has a better suggestion). I think this is more than enough storage space for my needs and I don't need the bigger E55 case.

My question & poll is pertaining to the issue I've read about with some riders saying they have completely lost their trunks while riding. Apparently some of the Givi trunks don't seem to latch correctly or there is too much play in them with how they attach to the mounting plate. So I was curious as to what the failure rate is on them.

Fred W had posted some time ago what looks like an excellent fix for additional attachment security by installing some clevis pins Givi Trunk Fix (last post at the bottom of page).

All that have Givi trunks please way in on the poll above or by posting your experience.

Multiply Poll answers enabled.

Thanks.
I have ridden 100+mph with the trunk and it's never came off my Interceptor in 5 years so I will use it on the FJR.

GiviV46.jpg

Both 100+ and several years and 30K+ miles, no issues. It's never off the bike unless I'm working on the bike or I carry it into a hotel (or tent) as luggage.

Givi's rack and mount.

I have the E-52 and have been 100+ no problems, it's mounted on the Premier touring rack.

I put about 20K miles over 3 years on a Honda VFR750 w/Givi E55. Never a day of trouble. Rarely got above 80mph so can't really address high-speed issues. I think the E46 would be great on the FJR. I'd have one already but am trying a cheaper brand for a while. My old Givi is definitely better built than the cheapy I currently have mounted. I'll eventually switch back to Givi...

I have not problem with Givi but I think they are a little overpriced, found an SH50 at my Yamaha Dealer and looking on the internet found this review:

FJR with Shad Case

I decide to try the SHAD SH48 since I was looking for nicer backrest, the quality and ease of use are unsurpassed...great case! Yamaha USA sells all the SHAD cases order with your dealer or the guys at SHAD (shadonline.com) have discounts for forum users.

I have not problem with Givi but I think they are a little overpriced, found an SH50 at my Yamaha Dealer and looking on the internet found this review:

FJR with Shad Case

I decide to try the SHAD SH48 since I was looking for nicer backrest, the quality and ease of use are unsurpassed...great case! Yamaha USA sells all the SHAD cases order with your dealer or the guys at SHAD (shadonline.com) have discounts for forum users.
Interesting. Did it just mount to the stock OEM rear rack on the FJR?

I just found this on the Shad cases Shad Top Case Review because I've never even heard of them before.

Over 50 thousand with the givi 46 on most of the time. Last summer I had the opportunity to see what it handled like at speeds. Up to 130 it was all OK. But at 135+ she started a bit of a wobble. From now on I'll limit my foolishness for when the trunk is off. I reccommend the givi mounting rack for sturdieness.

I have used the same V46 on my last 3 bikes (FJ1200,ST1100,FJR)... ~ 70,000 miles with no issues. I have replaced the V46 cover with a colour match for each bike. I actually have the FJR OEM topbox sitting at home unused as I prefer the Givi (really need to get around to posting it for sale!). I have also installed a LED light kit (Brake and turn signals) which is very nice. I did perform the clevis pin modification last year....just for extra security during the IBR.

Can you guys also include which mounting plates are recommended? I also am close to buying a Givi V46. I like the Premier Cycle FJR rack with the Givi 250 plate. What about Premier`s 2801 mounting kit? The Givi 228 rack. Where does it position the box? I don`t like the way the Givi SR 357 rack looks. Thanks

Can you guys also include which mounting plates are recommended? I also am close to buying a Givi V46. I like the Premier Cycle FJR rack with the Givi 250 plate. What about Premier`s 2801 mounting kit? The Givi 228 rack. Where does it position the box? I don`t like the way the Givi SR 357 rack looks. Thanks
https://www.sporttour.com/shopexd.asp?id=2526

FJR with Shad Case

Interesting. Did it just mount to the stock OEM rear rack on the FJR?

I just found this on the Shad cases Shad Top Case Review because I've never even heard of them before.
Mounts through a bike specific mounting bracket, designed specifically for the FJR. It’s quite economical too, and seeing the fact is is made specific for the FJR, I would definitely go with that setup. That’s a good article. They’ve only been around in the US for about 3 years, but seem to be making a strong entry. They’ve been around for over 10 years and do the OEM cases for the BMW GS – Series. Top notch stuff!!

One advantage of the Givi comes from use of the SR357 rack, which distributes loads through the rear subframe. The SR357 replaces the OEM composite rack with a tubular metal rack that cantilevers the load from under the pillon seat, and into supports in the tail section ahead of the lights. The rear tail section of the FJR is not especially strong, and you need to watch your weight additions, with any load that is just set on the rear of the subframe. You can search subframe cracking here, but it has been common enough that I think the strong, weight-distributing rack is a good investment if you are going to load more than the 10 lb weight limit or so that the OEM rack is rated for.

I will admit, the looks aren't great, but I'd hate to have to weld/repair the rear subframe, and I do load the top case pretty good. With regard to the original quesiton, I have the E55 case and have had it north of 130 mph. It can have noticeable buffeting in strong winds at speeds above 80 mph, but is normally stable up to 100. I never felt it was a control issue.

One advantage of the Givi comes from use of the SR357 rack, which distributes loads through the rear subframe. The SR357 replaces the OEM composite rack with a tubular metal rack that cantilevers the load from under the pillon seat, and into supports in the tail section ahead of the lights. The rear tail section of the FJR is not especially strong, and you need to watch your weight additions, with any load that is just set on the rear of the subframe. You can search subframe cracking here, but it has been common enough that I think the strong, weight-distributing rack is a good investment if you are going to load more than the 10 lb weight limit or so that the OEM rack is rated for.

I will admit, the looks aren't great, but I'd hate to have to weld/repair the rear subframe, and I do load the top case pretty good. With regard to the original quesiton, I have the E55 case and have had it north of 130 mph. It can have noticeable buffeting in strong winds at speeds above 80 mph, but is normally stable up to 100. I never felt it was a control issue.

[/quote

That's the setup I'm using and I would do the same again for the same reasons. With a steel rack instead of mounting to the fjr plastic tail rack, it's gotta be stronger.

I put the Givi rack on the FJR in July 2002 (the week I bought the bike) and have used the E35, E52 and now the V46 for over 60,000 miles. Not one problem with the case coming off after locking on correctly. Speeds of 140+ with Deb on the back proved no problem. I would imagine that solo speeds the same would result in weaving. Speeds reached on a racetrack.

The V46 fit a little looser than the other cases ???? - I shimmed the underneath with 1/8" leather "dots" I made - no problem :)

+1 on the use of the Givi SR357 rack to replace the OEM rack.

I fixed the buffetting and falling off issues w/E46 by purchasing one from a forum member, then placing it on a shelf and not installing it. It does create a buzzing sound when my wife notices it still sitting there. :lazy:

GR, I have a SHAD SH45 color-keyed to my beautiful '05. It's mounted on a Givi rack by way of the SHAD mounting plate that was included with the case. That S.O.B. isn't going anywhere without the bike, and no subframe breaky. Speeds no problem, bumpy dirt/stone roads no problem. Looks better than any Givi I've seen.