Glacier National Park

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I assume from the comments that route 2 will most likely be open from Washington State but parts of the park will most likely be closed? Will we be able to continue east on route 2 to North Dakota even if the park is closed? Thanks.

May I suggest a bit of light reading? I recently purchased an excellent book from motorcyclingmontana.com. The book has that same name and was written by one of our very own forum members. A most excellent piece of work and written from the perspective of an FJR pilot so you can really relate to his road choices.

Can I assume from the comments that route 2 will most likely be open from Washington State but parts of the park will most likely be closed? Will we be able to continue east on route 2 to North Dakota even if the park is closed? Thanks.
Hwy 2 is most definitely open from Washington state. The PNW gang rode bikes over Stevens Pass (Hwy 2) a few weeks ago since we have so little snow. Detouring around Glacier won't be a big deal if need be, but as previously mentioned if GTTS is closed, 2 will be available that time of year...barring a huge May snow storm.

--G

I know on our NAFO 2012 trip we were in Yellowstone on the 19th of June and it snowed on us. Logan Pass (top of GTTSR) opened on the 18th. We didn't go through until the 21st, but there was still quite a bit of snow at the pass. We hit it during the day on a Thursday and still crawled and were stopped due to one way traffic through the construction. It was still worth it. So much so that we went through again on the way home. West to east was best. If the pass isn't open, I would still ride up as far as possible on both sides(as was suggested earlier). The views are spectacular.

I was in Glacier about the same dates as Intech. The folks I was riding with were very early risers that morning because we were tent camping and it was a cold night. We got to the west entrance a little after first light. There was no toll collector at the entrance and very few other vehicles on the road. It was worth getting up early to be able to see the place without being stuck in traffic.

Last year I attempted this in May. It was a no-go and I ended up changing my plans drastically. Piss poor planning on my part. This year, I am starting my monthly ride in late June and hope to hit Glacier by late July. Probably will be more people in the parks but its better than not being able to get in at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
In 2004 I 'finally' made it into GNP. If you are into hiking try to get to Glacier lake

ge6z4886.jpg

The rest of my pix here:

https://molaver.org/gnp1.htm

Fantastic ride report ....CTFJR.... it was very well put together.

Thank you for sharing the terrific pictures in your link :)

In 2004 I 'finally' made it into GNP. If you are into hiking try to get to Glacier lake
[img=[URL="https://molaver.org/photos/gnp04/ge6z4886.jpg%5D"]https://molaver.org/photos/gnp04/ge6z4886.jpg][/URL]

The rest of my pix here:

https://molaver.org/gnp1.htm
Man! What shots! TY :)

I guess those who have never been thru high mountain passes have no idea how much snow accumulates and how difficult and dangerous for for road crews to clear. This road has many cliff side drop offs with little or no barriers. A sequence of photos a year or two ago of the road crews clearing progress was very interesting. Maybe someone can find it and post it. I've been lucky enough to have ridden this road in both directions dozens of times going back into the 70's and I never tire of it. You do have to ride very early in the AM, before the tourists start to jam it up. Don't miss it.
Was going to post photos taken 5-6-15 but site won't let me post photobucket photos??

Anyway, you can't use the visitors center or parking lot on top yet. They are under 15' of snow. Plows aren't anywhere close to the top. Going to the sun won't open until late June or early July at best.

Last edited by a moderator: