Glove box doesnt work....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cali_rider

Reaction score
So my new to me 07 FJR has had some mods for certain. I lnwo the previous owner did alot of thing like return spring mode, windshield position mod...but my glove box doesn latch. I can open the glove box without power, the only way to get teh bike to latch is to turn the ignition on, press the open latch button and then close the lid. I dont know if there is a power issue or a mechanical greese joint that needs help. The bike did sit for over 3 year untouched so I wasnt ruling out just needing greese but once I discovered the secret to getting it latched it mad me wonder if its something electrical.

Got an owner's manual? RTFM!!!! :p

It's operating properly. Sort of. Sounds like you broke it. Sort of.

It's not supposed to open or close unless ignition is on and bike is in neutral. There's a solenoid. If it opens without power, it's because people have been forcing it (you?) and have worn the latch/locking mechanism. It will most likely fail someday far off because of that.

It's not supposed to open or close unless ignition is on and bike is in neutral. There's a solenoid. If it opens without power, it's because people have been forcing it (you?) and have worn the latch/locking mechanism. It will most likely fail someday far off because of that.
Umm, Skoot, stop by the Yamaha site and read a Gen II owners manual, you are just such a Gen I oriented guy.

Umm, Skoot, stop by the Yamaha site and read a Gen II owners manual, you are just such a Gen I oriented guy.
What? Me? RTFM?? No way! :lol:

So do tell....... what does it say about the Gen II glove box? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
IMGP3404.jpg

So....... on Gen II:

To open, ignition on, but don't have to be in neutral.

To close, no requirements?

But I should note that I can press the button for the glovebox without the key in the ignition and it will open. Its not locked without the ignition on.

Then it's been futzed with/broken sometime in the past. Are you in touch with the original owner? Maybe he disconnected or changed something having to do with the action of the solenoid that prevents opening of the compartment without the ignition switch being ON.

Wouldn't matter much to me, as all I carry in mine is the tire gauge which weighs less than .66lb and is not susceptible to damage by heat.

Other than that, I hope you like your 07!

Don