Glove Box

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsitalon1

Reaction score
Searched but couldn't find.

Anyone hack the glove box circuit so that the glove box could be opened anytime the key was in the on position regardless of neutral?

If so, Please help me out here.

James

Operated by a solenoid. Reach in there and pull the plug. I've pulled the 'noid right on out. The two ounces of weight saved has increased my top end by 30 mph!

Would that allow access without the key in the "on" position?

I would worry about someone stealing stuff from there :unsure:

James

I added a hidden switch to activate the glovebox when there is no key. I didn't want to totally disable the mechanism. Now all I need to do is push my switch and the glove box will open. You can just pop it open with force. But too much of this and you will be "popping" for a new lid!

My Theory of Dirtbag says if they want to look inside your glovebox, there's nothing that a little screwdriver application couldn't free up anyway. We should make it as easy as possible on the poor criminal who is after all just trying to make a living like all of the rest of us poor stiffs. I've taken my platinum ballast bars out of the glovebox now that I realize how easy it is to get into. Save the few ounces of weight and increase your top end, easiest performance mod ever.

I would worry about someone stealing  stuff from there :unsure:

James
Yes. Push button, door opens, people can steal stuff.
Hey, TWN, what happeded to Don? You're posts look a bit naked.

I would worry about someone stealing  stuff from there :unsure:

James
Yes. Push button, door opens, people can steal stuff.
Hey, TWN, what happeded to Don? You're posts look a bit naked.
He's still there. Sometimes idividual computers don't 'see' the avatars. The other day, 04FJR4ME's was off my screen for a while. Dunno why?

I think your server killed Barney. He's gone from all of your posts. It's a conspiracy, I tell ya. Better run down to Mount Pilot and see if you can figger out what's goin on.

I think I'll remove my solenoid. I'm so annoyed at my solenoid.

I hate putting the bike in neutral going 90 just to open that box up. Of course I shouldn't probably be trying to make cell phone calls just then anyway.

I do like the secret switch idea, though. Probably won't worry about it. If someone wants to steal my registration, they can have it. Heck, I've probably lost it anyway. I use the GB for a cup holder most of the time.

Here is what I did to enable the glove box to be open with key on and engine off and not in neutral. I even added glove box lights so I can see what's insdie at night! :D

FJR01sm.jpg

2004 Yamaha with Glove Box light and momentary switch added to bypass glove box neutral safety switch.

Note: This is the way I modified the glove box neutral safety switch for it to be able to unlock without the need of the bike being in neutral:

1] I added an in-line diode to the power supply wire of the glove box switch that went from the accessory box relay (note as item #18 on the FJR1300AS© wiring Diagram which is O/W or Orange and White wire) to the accessory box solenoid which is listed as item #17 on the wiring diagram. This relay is triggered or energized by #15 the neutral switch. The reason for the add on in-line diode to the accessory relay is to prevent voltage from feeding backwards when the momentary switch is energized when the bike is in gear. This feature is used to gain access to the glove box by activating the glove box solenoid without the need of the bike being in neutral.

2] I then used an ignition circuit power source, which I added earlier from an aftermarket fuse block, this gives me the option to gain specific ignition or battery power to the specific accessory circuit only when the key is on or continuous power without the key, engine does not have to be running. This circuit is also protected by a 10 AMP circuit breaker located in an additional fuse block housing I added. The 12 volt constant power is protected by a battery saver that will shut the power down when the voltage is below 11.8 volts.

3] The ignition power source is tied to a momentary switch so the only way the accessory box solenoid will be energized is when both the red button momentary switch and the accessory box OEM switch is simultaneously pushed with your left index finger and your thumb. By pressing down on both buttons, this will allow rider to open glove box while motorcycle is in gear while riding or park without having to stop the bike or put the bike in neutral. The momentary switch is installed so we do not forget that the accessory box solenoid circuit is energized and stand a chance of damaging the accessory box solenoid and leaving the lights on in the glove box. “Lights?”

4] I also added an extra feature that I enjoy, glove box light so I can find what I have in the box when it is dark should I need to open the glove box at night.

5] These light circuits are tied to the Orange and White accessory box solenoid circuit. The beauty of this is that the lights only work when the box is open and or in neutral, or it can be on if you wish it to be in gear by simply pushing the added red button momentary switch next to the glove box switch. This way you will never have the lights on when you don’t have the box open. Lights are only on when glove box is open in neutral or when the momentary red button next to glove box is energized. Very simple but it works.

FJR02sm.jpg

FJR03sm.jpg

The bad quality pictures above shows the glove box can be opened with the red button momentary bypass switch within reach of both the rider’s index finger and thumb. The Orange and White wire is the power supply wire for the accessory box solenoid. This is the wire that the diode is installed in-line. The added bypass wire from the Red switch connects in between the diode and the accessory box solenoid along with the power wires to the accessory box lights shown on picture above.

Hope this helps.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Good job on the how to. Much apprreciated.

James