Going to Portland, Oregon on the 1st

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

not2shabby

Reaction score
The SO's annual conference is in Portland, Oregon this year and we're leaving a few days early for some R&R before it starts. We're staying at the Siloh hotel in Seaside for a few nights. Any suggestions for a couple of midwesterners from the locals besides the obvious attractions? We're planning on driving down the coast and then see Mt. Hood.

The SO's annual conference is in Portland this year and we're heading out a few days early for some R&R staying in Seaside for a few days before the conference starts. Any suggestions from the locals besides what all the tourists do? Thanks!

North & close by Seaside is the The Columbia River Maritime Museum. If you work your way farther south & would enjoy spending time in one of the premier Aviation museums in the country, visit the Evergreen Aviation & Space museum in McMinnville. Bring a good camera.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=489560334387861&set=vb.100000016967914&type=2&theater

When out on the coast, it is more or less a tradition (or rite of passage)to stop at one of the several Mo's Seafood Restaurants along the coast.

Florence-lg.jpg

A great Hotel to stay if you are in Newport overnight is the Elizabeth Street Inn. Built on a bluff overlooking the Pacific, they have free Salmon chowder in the afternoon & clear that away to make room for the gourmet fresh-from-the-oven local baked cookies. They have an indoor heated salt-water pool there for your pleasure. Great hot breakfast in the morning, but it is the rooms that always bring me back... all face the sea with an ocean view. Fireplace in each room as well. Great parking garage!

384806_318819498128613_2098539468_n.jpg

No harm in working your way south to Crater Lake. Road may be closed by then by snow, so check first. You can drive completely around the crater.

crater1a.jpg

I would make it a point to stop by one of the many malls located just off the interstate. You are going to want to stock up on Oregon Ducks (Premier college football team of the Great Pacific Northwest) memorabilia to wear in front of the tv for the Alabama BCS Championship!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNboYbN6wFY

Assuming you'll be driving a rented car, I'd suggest you just see as much of the coast as you can. Oregon has the best of the Pacific coast, IMO, at least as far as sightseeing goes. Gorgeous views mile after mile. From Portland, 30 miles east down the Columbia River Gorge is Multnomah Falls, a pretty drive and a very tall, very beautiful waterfall. The road from the coast to Portland (28, if I'm right), is a very spectacular drive (or ride) itself. Post some pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming you'll be driving a rented car, I'd suggest you just see as much of the coast as you can. Oregon has the best of the Pacific coast, IMO, at least as far as sightseeing goes. Gorgeous views mile after mile. From Portland, 30 miles east down the Columbia River Gorge is Multnomah Falls, a pretty drive and a very tall, very beautiful waterfall. The road from the coast to Portland (28, if I'm right), is a very spectacular drive (or ride) itself. Post some pics.
Yep, rented cage unfortuantely! We were planning on doing the coastline and the falls, just hope it doesn't rain constantly while we're there!

DENCOUCH, some good ideas there! The crater lake drive looks interesting, hope we have time. I'll have some free time while she has to work the conference, so hopefully it won't be snowed in! Some good seafood sounds great too! Oh, and yes, the 1st of November; we'll be there till the 11th.

I love the Oregon coast...

If you do happen to stay in Newport, be sure to swing by one of Rogue Brewing's places. If it's a Tuesday, wear a Hawaiian shirt and join Rogue Nation.

If you or the wife are into lighthouses, the Haceta Head lighthouse is right on the coast and is worth the trip. It has a wee bit of history to it, too...

Voodoo Doughnuts for a bacon maple bar. MMMmmmmm.

Voodoo Doughnut

22 SW 3rd Avenue Portland Oregon, U.S.A.

Also, lot's of great eateries, pubs, and shops in the Pearl District.

BigChunk

As a McMinnville resident, I'd be very remiss to not 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th) the suggestion to head to the Evergreen Air and Space Museum. It is spectacular. The 747 on the water park is just about worth the drive alone.

While the Rogue brew pub and distillery in Newport is a great stop, the local hot spot is quickly becoming Pacific City. It still has the small town beach feel and the Pelican makes some fantastic brews (assuming you are into that sort of imbibery)

A drive around Mt Hood would also be a great way to spend a day. If you take the loop through Sandy, around the mountain, and end back through Hood River you can check out the crazy wind surfers (yep even in November) and stop by Multnomah Falls on the way back to PDX.

I could go on and on about neat things to do in this area over a 10 day period, but having a better idea of your interests would help!!

Have fun!!

If you do happen to stay in Newport, be sure to swing by one of Rogue Brewing's places. If it's a Tuesday, wear a Hawaiian shirt and join Rogue Nation.

If you or the wife are into lighthouses, the Haceta Head lighthouse is right on the coast and is worth the trip. It has a wee bit of history to it, too...
Enjoy the great beer but eat somewhere else. Food is far below average

Voodoo Doughnut

BigChunk
bikerskier said:

Enjoy the great beer but eat somewhere else. Food is far below average

Voodoo Doughnut

BigChunk

As a McMinnville resident, I'd be very remiss to not 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th) the suggestion to head to the Evergreen Air and Space Museum. It is spectacular. The 747 on the water park is just about worth the drive alone.

While the Rogue brew pub and distillery in Newport is a great stop, the local hot spot is quickly becoming Pacific City. It still has the small town beach feel and the Pelican makes some fantastic brews (assuming you are into that sort of imbibery)

A drive around Mt Hood would also be a great way to spend a day. If you take the loop through Sandy, around the mountain, and end back through Hood River you can check out the crazy wind surfers (yep even in November) and stop by Multnomah Falls on the way back to PDX.

I could go on and on about neat things to do in this area over a 10 day period, but having a better idea of your interests would help!!

Have fun!!
Mt Hood and the falls are on the list too, I'm not sure how much time she'll have for the museum. I might have to do that solo while she's working during the week.

I'd love to rent a bike and ride some of those nice squiggly lines I see on the maps, but I doubt the weather is going to cooperate. Other than that, I'm open to about any suggestions....that don't involve farm animals! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: