Going to See the Eclipse?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
We all know about the eclipse coming in April, right? A LOT of us will be right in the path of it, or within a very reasonable distance. You do NOT want to blow it off; it will be one of the most amazing and memorable sights you will EVER see! Don't believe me? Just watch this short TED talk, right here.

I won't bother trying to describe the experience we had up in Oregon in '17, but it was SO worth doing, even with the colossal traffic jam getting back to Cali afterwards. I don't know if I can make it for this one; it's a long way off and I've got, you know, my life to live and all that, but I'm still so tempted. If you are anywhere along the path, GO. All you need to do is google "2024 eclipse" and dozens of hits will show you the whole path, starting from Mexico, then curving from Texas to Buffalo, eastern Canada and out to sea. April 8, 2024. Coming to a town near you.

If you can do it, do it. And post your plans if you've made them yet. If you don't have plans, watch the video and maybe you'll get inspired. Worth it.

Back in August 2017, the band of totality for that eclipse event passed about a thousand miles south of where me and my riding buddies live in Central Alberta. Here are a couple pics we took at about high noon in the hamlet of Lowman, ID that day.

Of course we brought proper eye protection with us; we bought some verified glasses off Amazon before heading south, and still have them for the next eclipse we use as an excuse to pound some interesting twisties far from home.

BTW: we've actually eaten and overnighted at the Southfork Lodge on more recent bike trips too. Shout out here to their hospitality. (y)

Attachments

• 20170821_104938.jpg
    20170821_104938.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20170821_111008.jpg
    20170821_111008.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 0
  • P_20170821_112855_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    P_20170821_112855_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • P_20170821_112911_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    P_20170821_112911_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
I'm in the path although I might ride 40 or so miles north to hit the center. Hoping the east coast isn't cloudy...

SacramentoMike said:

"All you need to do is google "2024 eclipse" and dozens of hits will show you the whole path, starting from Mexico, then curving from Texas to Buffalo, eastern Canada and out to sea. April 8, 2024."

Here is a link to an interactive eclipse map.

I'm going to a big AirBnB in the Dallas area with a group of 13 or 14 family and friends.

Last edited:
Back in August 2017, the band of totality for that eclipse event passed about a thousand miles south of where me and my riding buddies live in Central Alberta. Here are a couple pics we took at about high noon in the hamlet of Lowman, ID that day.

Of course we brought proper eye protection with us; we bought some verified glasses off Amazon before heading south, and still have them for the next eclipse we use as an excuse to pound some interesting twisties far from home.

BTW: we've actually eaten and overnighted at the Southfork Lodge on more recent bike trips too. Shout out here to their hospitality. (y)
Cheapo-o replacement welding helmet lens shade 8-10 works wonderfully. Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.

We all know about the eclipse coming in April, right? A LOT of us will be right in the path of it, or within a very reasonable distance. You do NOT want to blow it off; it will be one of the most amazing and memorable sights you will EVER see! Don't believe me? Just watch this short TED talk, right here.

I won't bother trying to describe the experience we had up in Oregon in '17, but it was SO worth doing, even with the colossal traffic jam getting back to Cali afterwards. I don't know if I can make it for this one; it's a long way off and I've got, you know, my life to live and all that, but I'm still so tempted. If you are anywhere along the path, GO. All you need to do is google "2024 eclipse" and dozens of hits will show you the whole path, starting from Mexico, then curving from Texas to Buffalo, eastern Canada and out to sea. April 8, 2024. Coming to a town near you.

If you can do it, do it. And post your plans if you've made them yet. If you don't have plans, watch the video and maybe you'll get inspired. Worth it.

I was JUST thinking the same thing.

I caught the 2017 eclipse in Rexburg, ID in 2017 just by happenstance. We were on a fly fishing trip and the day we had to get from West Yellowstone to Reno was the day of the eclipse. We stopped in Rexburg and went to a nice little park in town with lots of other folks and watched the event which you have to experience in person to really understand and comprehend.
Getting from Rexburg to Reno afterwards was a nightmare at best. We rolled into Circus Circus at a little before 3:00am after fighting horrible traffic……
But, it was definitely worth seeing!
Biknflyfisher

Crappy photos using my cell phone with the film from a pair of "eclipse glasses" taped to the lens as a filter. Hand held, so not optimal. The two taken at totality were using a point-and-shoot camera without filter. The photos were really a last minute decision and I should have used my older DSLR, a tripod and a proper solar filter.

Still, an awesome experience.

20240408_160145.jpg 20240408_162216.jpg 20240408_163104.jpg

P1010573.JPG P1010577.JPG

I had a group of 15 in Duncanville, TX, ranging in age from seven to seventy nine. The sky was cloudy in the morning, then switched to partly cloudy as the moon encroached on the disc of the sun providing frequent visibility. About 40 seconds before totality a large cloud slid over the sun blocking it completely. About 20 seconds before totality the cloud passed completely over the sun and we had perfect visibility for the next two hours. Clear views of Venus and Jupiter. Spectacular.

Last edited: