Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been away from this a long time...

Has anybody died because they ran a CT?
rolleyes.gif
I don't know about that, but I know one Darksider who shat his pants when the fat tire caught some gravel on a curve. A really large and impressive rubber streak was left on the pavement.

That is all I will say.

rolleyes.gif
I don't know about that, but I know one Darksider who shat his pants when the fat tire caught some gravel on a curve. A really large and impressive rubber streak was left on the pavement.

That is all I will say.
Thank goodness he had the car tire mounted so it could save the day!!!!!!!
omg2.gif

rolleyes.gif

That is all I will say.
...and a large and impressive brown streak on the motorcycle seat...

rolleyes.gif

That is all I will say.
So pretty much the same as a lot of folks.. Drove beyond their capability's and cast blame on the machine.

lol.gif

My Michelin Pilot exalt is looking tired. It's well into the wear bars now and though it runs fine and could probably go another 5k miles or more, my concern is what might happen while riding in the rain. We talked about this earlier in this thread: a CT presents a very different leading edge when riding through water at speed. Shallow tread on a CT It is not going to be nearly as forgiving as shallow tread on a MT when it comes to hydro-planing. So with that in mind, and a 2000 mile trip to EOM in Virginia just 2 days away, I decided it was time.
First a close look at the treads at 41k miles:

CIMG2964.jpg

Gary

darksider #44
You got some nice even wear out of that tire. What PSI have you been running?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look carefully, you'll notice that the tread on the left side is not quite to the wear bars. I'll never figure that one out. Because of road inclination, you'd expect the right side to have a little more tread, if anything.

I have kept it as near 31 as possible. Also keep in mind that a good 95 percent of my riding does not include curves.

Just about the time most of America puts away their bikes for the winter, I can rejoice in 6 months of OH YEAH !!! The weather here in central Fla. is great from Nov-May, but the roads? Mostly straight, flat, and boring
lazy.gif

Gary

I believe this may be the last remaining **NEW** Michelin Pilot Exalto in existence. The factory stopped making them in 1212, and that's when this one was made. As far as I know, they have been unavailable anywhere in the US for some time now. I bought it in the summer of 2014, and it has been stored in in the back room since then.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But there's more. I headed up to the corner to ask a local garage to mount the tire. They'd told me years ago that they'd take care of it when the time came. However, it appears they've changed their mind. Sent me down the road to another shop.

Nope, we can't do that here: try Shop "B" up the road. Same story there. Tried shop "C." Nope. Finally headed off to a local motorcycle shop.

There I was told that the last time they tried to mount a CT on a motorcycle, the CT exploded and broke the hand of the mechanic. Not sure what he meant by "exploded," but whatever--no help there. Headed to another MC shop. Closed, and of course: it's Monday.

Called a friend who owns a body shop. Nope, we don't do that here: but try Venom Cycles in New Port Richey. And finally
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
35 dollars later and I'm good to go. The fella who installed it said that it took 3 guys to wrestle it on the rim.
Nope, sorry. I got a brand-spanking new Exalto in my shop waiting to go on when I wear out my current moto-tire. So I may be luckiest man on the face of the earth
punk.gif
. My previous C/T was the G-Max but I got a killer price on a set of Pilot Power 2CT that I couldn't resist. When it's done the Exalto goes on.

For mounting I have had no trouble from day one at my local Honda dealer. "Why not?", he said, "we do it on Gold Wings all the time!"

Check the date on your Exalto. I might win this "contest" yet...

Honda dealer: I don't doubt that at all, however, Honda was closed yesterday when I went out searching for someone to change that tire...

Today I'm fighting with getting air out of my brake lines. Glad once again for the forum. My research here led me to cycle the ABS a couple times, then bleed the brakes again.

That did the trick !!!

Gary

I believe this may be the last remaining **NEW** Michelin Pilot Exalto in existence. The factory stopped making them in 1212, and that's when this one was made. As far as I know, they have been unavailable anywhere in the US for some time now. I bought it in the summer of 2014, and it has been stored in in the back room since then.Gary

darksider #44
Not sure exactly what you mean by "in 1212", whether you mean the 12th week of 2012 or Dec 2012 or if it's a simple typo meaning 2012 in general.

Check the date on your Exalto. I might win this "contest" yet...
Honda dealer: I don't doubt that at all, however, Honda was closed yesterday when I went out searching for someone to change that tire...

Today I'm fighting with getting air out of my brake lines. Glad once again for the forum. My research here led me to cycle the ABS a couple times, then bleed the brakes again.

That did the trick !!!

Gary
I'm by no means a tire born-on date expert but I interpret mine as the 28th week of 2012. Yes? However, to be fair, I got it from Canadia
rolleyes.gif

IMG_20160920_122642271_zpsmnri0ike.jpg

I was just kidding around, but OK, I'll bite. I went out and took this with a flashlight. Not the best picture, but if ya look carefully, you can see the manufacture date. Ha... same as yours. My best guess: either this was total coincidence, or perhaps this was the final week they were manufactured. I would guess that tire rack (that's where I got mine) sells their stock in order of manufacture date, and that the last ones made available for sale were indeed the last ones made. Too bad Michelin discontinued making them.

CIMG2973.jpg

Russ, it originated from TireRack in the US.......
Buy Murican I say!! Even if it's from a Canadian. It's not like Canadia is actually part of North Am.......wait........

Ray is where I got mine from. I was also fortunate enough to find a complete rear wheel with a like-new PR2 for $225. So my plan is to have a C/T for commuting and coastal runs (2-3 hrs away) and a M/T for the multi-day mtn trips (2-3 hrs away). For day rides with the buds in the hills I'm good leaving the C/T on, they're more leisurely sightseeing and RsTE.

Hi gang! Just over a year with my 2010 FJR and I finally today converted to double darkside (again): G-Max 205-50-17 rear & Avon Roadrider AM 26 130/70/VR17 rear on the front. I was already double dark on my VTX, so does that make me the first double double dark FJR rider? I had some fitment trouble on the front, but I think the melted Fenda-extenda has self-adjusted to where it needs to be. Pictures to come when I figure it out...

Clay

Hi Clay-motion - Welcome to the Darkside thread and the FJR Forum in general. No, we have a double darksider or two already. Post some pictures and I'll add you to the list on the FAQ. We had to suspend the initiation rites for a while after the last incident with the House of Hoes and the graduating class from the Jenny McCarthy School of Chrome Removal. Apparently we aren't allowed in that town in Nevada any more...
uhoh.gif
It was only a small fire! I swear.

And finally
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
35 dollars later and I'm good to go. The fella who installed it said that it took 3 guys to wrestle it on the rim.

They must have been idjits. I have installed two car tires recently. A Michelin on my Gen II/III wheel, and a GMax on my Gen I wheel. Both were installed with the help of a forum member on a Harbor Freight tire changer and we both agreed getting the car tires on the wheels was easier than mounting a motorcycle tire.

BTW, the GMax is AWESOME! Better so far than the Exalto. Longevity TBD.

And finally
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

They must have been idjits. I have installed two car tires recently. A Michelin on my Gen II/III wheel, and a GMax on my Gen I wheel. Both were installed with the help of a forum member on a Harbor Freight tire changer and we both agreed getting the car tires on the wheels was easier than mounting a motorcycle tire.

BTW, the GMax is AWESOME! Better so far than the Exalto. Longevity TBD.
I found the same true, I mounted the last car tire myself on a harbor freight changer with a little help from my wife. The hardest thing to mount was the 190 motorcycle tire.

And finally
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

They must have been idjits.
Maybe so. But I'm so glad they were willing idjits. First try finding a MC dealer open on a Monday. Then, the car shops wouldn't touch it. I'm just glad I found somebody... ANYBODY willing to git her done. Hain't no tire changers in my workshop, so I'm feeling thankful there was one place in town willing to put a CT on my rim.