Going-to-the-Sun Road - Glacier National Park - Opens when?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niehart

Pie Smuggler
Reaction score
May 14th

Snow plow crews are working on the Going-to-the-Sun Road are near Haystack on the west side and near St. Mary Falls area on the east side. Check out the Flickr site for images athttps://www.flickr.com/photos/glaciernps/ and the website for updated info on snowplowing progress and hiker-biker access athttps://home.nps.gov/applications/glac/gttsroadplow/gttsroadplowstatus.cfm.

Thanks Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks for sharing these images of the Logan Pass Visitor Center. Wow! Images were taken May 1 when they were on a wildlife tracking flight.

10341671_10152163400519912_2639997685809389083_n.jpg

In 2012 Logan Pass didn't open until June 18th. We were in Yellowstone on the 19th and got snowed on. We did the GTTSR on the 21st and there were still some pretty impressive snowbanks.

Late June is pretty standard for that road. They get something like 20+ feet of snow up at Logan Pass every winter, so it takes awhile for it to disappear.

When going over Going to the Sun be sure at take time to go to The Park Cafe in St Mary. The homemade pies are to "die for". If you have the time, go both ways over the highway.

Expect it to be slow and traffic stops for road repairs. I would recommend not removing your helmet if stopped on the road where there is any chance of falling rocks from above! Several months before we traversed the highway a motorcycle was killed by a falling rock. He had taken his helmet off.

Latest ever was July 13th, 2011. I happened to be riding it on the 14th. But on my bicycle. Out for a day ride, from Mcdonald Lake to the top of Logan. Not sure my point... oh yah... sometimes she opens quite late.
smile.png

Still got two weeks to go, if she aint open by July 1 we may modify the route to go elsewhere and Festar can do Glacier between July 14 and 28th.