Gold Wing thought experiment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndivita

Reaction score
The number is $34,010.20.

That represents the top of the line Gold Wing MSRP, model year 2017, with every available option box checked - all 37 of them.

I had one of these beasts back in 2013, a cream puff 2008 low mileage specimen, when I thought I had grown too old to have a FJR. As the song says, I will never grow so old again.

I still remember the mysterious array of buttons on the left side panel; the useless nav unit, the CB radio gadgetry that was available and the CD player that I could have had.

It's amazing to me that this great machine still seems so out of step with communications and audio technology in the year 2017 A.D.

Until 2013, you could still buy a brand new Yamaha Royal Star Venture which had a cassette player. The CB radio was standard; not an optional extra. Same with the AM/FM radio. CD player was an expensive option which (I believe) became standard in later years although the cassette remained.

On the other hand, it had cruise and self-cancelling turn signals.

(I had an '04)

Last edited by a moderator:
It does seem strange that Honda won't upgrade the sound system but I hear the 2010 and up nav is better plus there are updates for it. As the owner of a 08 Hippo airbag model I can attest to the shitty nav and sound system. However I slapped a 660 Garmin on it, listen to my music/radio through my custom earbuds and the sena handles the phone/communication business. Problem solved and as much as I liked the Feejeer's speed and handling the comfort of the Wing makes big mile days much more pleasurable for me and the lovely Mrs bug. .

Bose has a bike music system that rocks but it only comes with a Hardley Ableson. :(

I'm expecting delivery of my next wing in a couple weeks and the 660 and the sena units are here waiting. I just need the ice to melt on my road.

I rode a Gold Wing for 13 years.

I came to realize I was too young

for a Gold Wing

so I traded it in for an FJR.

That was ten years ago.

I turn 60 on Sunday.

I have owned 5 of the wings I loved them but with some back problems they become a little much. I still believe they are the king of comfort.

I also had one, and the brother in-law has one now with several others in the past. For my current riding requirements The FJR is it.

I rode a Goldwing for 11 years and 111,000 miles. It was a very competent touring bike. But I strongly prefer the FJR. Go figger
smile.png

My biggest complaint about my FJR is the weight. It gets heavier as I get older. Does this concept work inversely for gold wings?

My biggest complaint about my FJR is the weight. It gets heavier as I get older. Does this concept work inversely for gold wings?
No doubt the Hippo is a big girl to dance with but the flat 6 puts the center of gravity much lower than the FJR. With the stock crash bars on the wing you can tip it without any body damage and using proper technique standing it up may be easier than the Yamaha.

No doubt the Hippo is a big girl to dance with but the flat 6 puts the center of gravity much lower than the FJR. With the stock crash bars on the wing you can tip it without any body damage and using proper technique standing it up may be easier than the Yamaha.
Exactly! I feel the weight of the FJR worse than I did the 'wing. I was much better at low speeds and in parking lot situations on the 'wing than I am the FJR. And heaven forbid I have to back up on a loose surface. I get such lousy traction with my feet on the FJR I can barely move it. On the 'wing I could get my feet flatter and farther from the bike and move it backward much easier even without using the reverse.

Last edited by a moderator: