Good Place to Buy Helmets in San Diego?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackarrow

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new good quality modular helmet. I live in the sticks and there are no dealers around me (to my knowledge) that have a reasonable amount of stock to try on. Tulsa used to have a reasonably stocked helmet and gear store but it has been turned into an Indian dealership.

I find that with modular helmets in particular trying on is a must. I tend to have a problem with not having enough chin bar space. I wear an XL. I was thinking in terms of the HJC RPHA, Shoei, and Nolan but I'm open to others as well. I like the Shoei except the side fit is so tight I can not put it on without taking off my glasses which rather defeats the purpose of a modular in my opinion. I have not tried the RPHA or a Nolan. I currently use a Scorpion Transformer in addition to an HJC FS-17.

I am coming to San Diego this summer (as I do every year) and hoped I could be guided to a shop or a dealer with a good selection to try out with reasonable prices. I will probably buy there because I feel if a brick and mortar store helps me with fit and selection they deserve my business.

I'm going to San Diego in a few weeks and a friend recommended:
Roy. We have two shops that have a good selection.

Fun Bike Center. https://www.funbike.com/home/?gclid=CPXSoPPN-MQCFcWUfgodu3cAxw

Cycle Gear. https://www.cyclegear.com/store/Cycle%20Gear%20San%20Diego%20Super-Store

However last week, I had some time to kill before a meeting in San Luis Obispo, and I ended up purchasing a Shoei Neotec from Cycle Gear. I also wear a XL. Like you, I have to take off my glasses to get my helmet on. I though with the modular I would be able to leave on my glasses. At least after the first couple of tries, they still catch on the sides of the helmet. Might be able to spread it open wider, work in progress.....

The Neotec (not cheap $600) cheek pads are "notched" so the temples slide easily between your head and the helmet. Couldn't do that with my Qwest easily. The kool thing is sunscreen does NOT hit my glasses when raising and lowering it; all previous years would not work because they would hit the frame.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a Cycle Gear in Tulsa, I believe.

Green Country Cycles used to be excellent, but they no longer have the accessories and clothing they used to, if any at all.

If you are looking at buying one from a dealership, I'd steer clear of Fun Bike. I have not had really good experiences there. I would suggest Escondido Cycle Center or North County Yamaha.

Chaparral in San Bernardino has 100's of helmets to try on. They aren't in San Diego but it may be worth the ride to check them out.

Sorry I couldn't add a clicky link for some reason:

www.chaparral-racing.com

I would highly recommend finding the one who deals with Nolan. Great quality, reasonable price. I have two. If you want to come up to Pismo I will let you try on my old XXL N90 (liner washed) and my Current XL N91. Then you can order online with confidence.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just checked the website for the Progressive International Motorcycle Show. They come around the country every year. Right now the website only lists one date in So Cal, Nov 20 or so. I think they'll add more dates as they're set, since they always have a show in San Mateo, for example, and that location isn't listed at all right now.

I like that show because you can see and try on a wide variety of brands, and they offer show prices. I looked hard at a new Neotec last year and the price was discounted a pretty fair amount below what you can find elsewhere. Choice is good, so are discounts.