Goodbye Trusty FJR, hello Super Tenere

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DragonflyTN

Reaction score
I traded my 2005 FJR and and 2011 KLR for a 2012 Super Tenere. After 1,200 miles of twisties and gravel over the last week, I'll have to say I'm very happy with my choice.

Things I like right away:

1. More comfortable by far (for me, YMMV).

2. Go anywhere. Yep, I don't care whether it's paved or not.

3. Better two-up accommodations? absolutely.

4. Remarkably good at sport-touring type riding.

5. Torque monster. Walk it up a tree, no problem.

Things I have to get used to:

1. Passing requires downshifts.

2. Better plan ahead a bit more in the corners. Brake ahead!

3. A little sensitive to crosswinds.

4. Twin-cylinder vibes.

congrats, and thanks for the first impressions.

I thought long and hard, about making the same change, but my 30 inch inseam talked me out of it.

Congrats on the two-for-one move. Enjoy!

I think I'll wait a while - I still giggle like a schoolgirl when I go to pass someone, hit 90 and my head snaps back when the old gal starts to breathe.

... I still giggle like a schoolgirl when I go to pass someone, hit 90 and my head snaps back when the old gal starts to breathe.
Thank goodness someone else is affected like this. I thought it was only me.

Congrats Dragonfly. I'm sure that the S10 will be every bit as reliable as your FJR13 was. These are all pretty well designed bikes.

I switch back and forth between a DL1000 and the FJR, having the luxury of owning multiple bikes. The 2 cylinder vibes will grow on you. Yes, they are more noticeable, but somehow also more harmonious when you are tooling along on the road. Crosswinds are more about staying loose on the bars than anything, and passing with any 1200cc bike is a breeze. Your power to weight ratio on the Tenare is still on the same scale as hyper-sports cars. No need to fear.

Enjoy your new ride. I'm sure it will be a blast!

Congrats Dragonfly. I'm sure that the S10 will be every bit as reliable as your FJR13 was. These are all pretty well designed bikes.
I switch back and forth between a DL1000 and the FJR, having the luxury of owning multiple bikes. The 2 cylinder vibes will grow on you. Yes, they are more noticeable, but somehow also more harmonious when you are tooling along on the road. Crosswinds are more about staying loose on the bars than anything, and passing with any 1200cc bike is a breeze. Your power to weight ratio on the Tenare is still on the same scale as hyper-sports cars. No need to fear.

Enjoy your new ride. I'm sure it will be a blast!

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the power to weight ratio; the throttle is still authoritative on the S10. But on the FJR, WOT is like "I'm flying a F-16"! Takes a minute to adjust.

... I still giggle like a schoolgirl when I go to pass someone, hit 90 and my head snaps back when the old gal starts to breathe.
Nope...It's not. I like to double downshift to third and hammer it. I laugh like an idiot. My friends think I'm crazy.

I think you could get close with an S10. Nice bikes...And congrats Dragonfly. Ride what makes you happy!!

Congratulations! A super t is definitely on the list of bikes that would make it home someday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Dragonfly! I did the same thing the end of July, except I'm keeping the FJR.

Gotta have the right tools in the toolbox...
punk.gif

NicePair_zps0f4db4e4.jpg

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope...It's not. I like to double downshift to third and hammer it. I laugh like an idiot. My friends think I'm crazy.

I think you could get close with an S10. Nice bikes...And congrats Dragonfly. Ride what makes you happy!!
Me three!! To this day, it takes my breath away when I twist the throttle hard. Weeeeeeeeeee......

Welcome to the fold.

I'm sure that you've heard about the clutch jumper mod and the reflash. Plus, at 1,200 miles the machine is just starting to come into its' own.

Every now & then I miss the FJR looks and the turbine power. But then I take a blast down some gravel path or long cross country ride and know the Tenere is right for me.

And as with your passenger, mine prefers the back of the Tenere to the FJR, too.

Congrats Dragonfly! I did the same thing the end of July, except I'm keeping the FJR.
Gotta have the right tools in the toolbox... :punk:

[img=[URL="https://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a158/escapefjrtist/NicePair_zps0f4db4e4.jpg%5D"]https://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a158/escapefjrtist/NicePair_zps0f4db4e4.jpg][/URL]

--G
SHOW OFF!!!

Great bikes. I worked with a shop and built two into police bikes. It took me a bit to get used to a liter on the dirt but soon I was comfortable there. Big help was always bringing the air pressure down. I was always surprised at how quick that bike was. Hope to add one to the collection some day. Can't part with the FJR so will have to add one some day whey they come down a bit.

2011-11-07_16-46-52_486.jpg

congrats, and thanks for the first impressions.I thought long and hard, about making the same change, but my 30 inch inseam talked me out of it.
I also have a 30" inseam, and a Super Tenere! I actually run the seat in the high position on the road to get my head up above the windscreen, no problems with keeping it upright. I usually do drop the seat to the low position for dirty road work...

And to the OP, congrats! I'm happy at I could keep my FJR, but if I had to choose between the two, the Tenere would win!

Gotta have the right tools in the toolbox...
punk.gif

--G

Ya, I wanted to keep both... Finances wouldn't allow it. Dang house remodeling!

I am thinking that I would look at that new FZ-09 in a few years. Get a good used one maybe for $4-5K.

Great bikes. I worked with a shop and built two into police bikes. It took me a bit to get used to a liter on the dirt but soon I was comfortable there. Big help was always bringing the air pressure down. I was always surprised at how quick that bike was. Hope to add one to the collection some day. Can't part with the FJR so will have to add one some day whey they come down a bit.
2011-11-07_16-46-52_486.jpg

Like the Black and Whites! San Diego County Sheriff? I'm coming out there Nov 4-7. Maybe I will spot one of these.