GoPro HD Hero Camera initial impressions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UselessPickles

Making Grand Canyon replicas from air boxes...
Reaction score
I just got my GoPro HD Hero (the "Motorsports" package, for $258 shipped via ebay) and coincidentally had a day this weekend that was warn enough for a ride. Here's a short clip:

The camera is mounted on top of my helmet, using the non-waterproof door for the case (recommended for "high wind conditions < 100mph"), and recorded in the 1080p 127 degree wide angle mode. Sound is much improved over the standard GoPro (which I sold to my brother to help pay for the HD version). The standard version would have had deafening wind noise in these conditions and no engine sound (if the waterproof gasket was removed; with the gasket installed, the sound would be very muffled and equally useless).

When evaluating video quality of that clip, keep in mind that this was recorded on an overcast winter evening, and that video quality generally suffers when uploading to YouTube due to compression. This clip already looked great on my TV; I can't wait to see how good it looks on a sunny day :)

I did run into some memory card compatibility issues. GoPro recommends a "name-brand" card of at least a Class 4 speed rating. I bought a 16GB Lexar Class 4 card, which meets those recommendations, but it didn't work very well. It would sometimes record just fine. Other times it would record only a few seconds, then refuse to record any more clips. I did some searching and found that GoPro is aware that even some name-brand cards are not working, so they are compiling list s of compatible and incompatible cards. In the meantime, they say that they have been using a 16GB Kingston Class 4 card themselves without any problems, so that's what I've ordered now.

Some unorganized observations/thoughts:

Pros:

• I like the rechargeable battery pack much better than the AAA batteries that the standard GoPro required. You even get a battery life meter displayed on the camera now.
  • Battery charges while connected to your computer to view/transfer videos.
  • I can connect it via USB directly to my PS3 to instantly enjoy my new video clips in their high definition glory (My PS3 is connected via HDMI to my 50" 1080p plasma TV; looks very nice).
  • After transferring my videos to my computer, I can still watch them in all their high definition glory by using PS3 Media Server to stream them through my PS3.
  • The narrower angle of the 1080p mode (127 degrees vs. the 170 degrees of all other modes and the standard GoPro Wide) allows curves in the road to still look like curves in the video. The curves still look less curvy than they do in real life, but it's a good compromise between the standard angle of most cameras (50-55 degrees), which is usually too narrow to capture everything on screen that you want to see, and the excessive wide angle of the GoPro Wide.
  • They plan on releasing several "extensions" in the near future. The one I'm most interested in is the LCD screen so you can see what the camera is seeing (for aiming purposes) and also watch the video clips directly on the camera instead of waiting to hook it up to a computer or TV.
  • No wires, additional electronics, or creative mount fabrication necessary. It's a self-contained camera that comes with plenty of mounting hardware, including a very strong suction cup mount in case you don't want to use one of the adhesive mounts.

Cons:

• I can't easily use Windows Movie Maker to edit video clips from the GoPro HD. Microsoft seems to not care about what the rest of the world is doing, so it doesn't like MP4 videos or the h.624 codec very much. I need to figure out what is the best type to convert the videos to so that I can edit them in Movie Maker without noticeably affecting quality.
  • Although there are plans to allow a continuous power supply via the USB port while recording (to avoid battery life concerns), you're still limited by SD card sizes. Up to 32GB is supported (~4h 21m 1080p video), but cards that size are quite expensive ($100+). I'll get by with a 16GB card (~2 hours of 1080p) that only costs $35. Continuous power would be nice so that you could leave the camera on and ready to record at all times, but you'll still have to be selective about when you record, and possibly bring extra memory cards if you plan on doing a lot of filming (it's much easier to film more than necessary and edit later to make sure you don't miss something good).
  • When it's on top of your head (or anywhere out of sight), it's difficult to be sure whether it's currently recording or not. Only a more complex system with handlebar mounted display/controls could really solve this problem. A good memory and firm button presses are good enough to work around this problem.

I concur with all your observations! Just tried mine out Saturday in overcast conditions but I used the suction cup on the tank and the waterproof housing. The video was great but I think I picked up some vibration from the tank in the audio. Even with the waterproof housing, I could still hear the motor/exhaust just fine. I definately need a new computer now to edit HD...our desktop is a dinosaur, I've heard a duo/quad fast processor and a big, fast hard drive are pretty much required unless you want to spend days editing to get a short clip.

Oh...one more 'Con'....watch your speed while filming; I got a little carried away in a sweeper and when I looked up guess what I saw. That's right, he nailed me for 19 over...but he was an ex-rider and let me off with a warning! I couldn't believe it! When I stopped, I took my helmet off real quick and put it over the camera. No sense in providing your own rope!

The video was great but I think I picked up some vibration from the tank in the audio. Even with the waterproof housing, I could still hear the motor/exhaust just fine.
Try it with the non-waterproof door. I noticed that the waterproof door muffled external sounds (engine, etc) such that you must turn up the volume to hear them (which is to be expected). However, the waterproof door does not muffle sound sources right at the camera (vibration of the camera itself, some wind noise), so you're also amplifying all that unwanted noise when you turn up the volume to hear the engine.

When I stopped, I took my helmet off real quick and put it over the camera. No sense in providing your own rope!
LOL! I hope you were recording at the time. That would be a hilarious video clip.

Hmmm, I'll try the non-waterproof door next time. Might be a while, we got 2 inches of snow last nite dammit!

No, I turned the camera off before I put my helmet over it. Should have let it run, but I doubt if it would have picked up the audio.

I'm eager to see what you come up with as alternatives to Windows Movie Maker for handling the MP4 files. I've found a linux based application that has some potential but it's still a little buggy and in development.

I submitted a support request to GoPro asking for recommendations on the exact format I should convert to for importing into Windows Movie Maker without losing quality. I also asked if they could recommend different video editing software that could successfully work directly with the files from the GoPro HD. I'll report back after I get a response and (hopefully) try out their recommendation.

Great quality. What lakes are riding by?
Orchard Lake and Pine Lake: https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source...046821&z=15

Here's another decent stretch of road next to two lakes that I visit: https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source...046821&z=15

Only problem with these curvy roads near the lakes is that there's almost always too much traffic, and the speed limits are low because of all the houses and businesses crowded around the lakes. They're generally just nice for a relaxing sunset ride in the summer as opposed to having fun on the curves. Unfortunately, that's pretty much the only place to find curves in south-east Michigan :( .

Go download VideoSpin from Avid/Pinnacle Systems. It is free, much better than Moviemaker and as easy to use. I am working on getting better at video and photography , but I am still at the Keep It Simple Stupid stage. It is dirt cheap to buy the Advanced CODEC kit for it, and you get to try them before you buy the codecs first as well. It will export to all the MSFT formats if you wish too.

https://www.videospin.com/Redesign/

Last edited by a moderator:
Go download VideoSpin from Avid/Pinnacle Systems.
I gave it a try and started off liking it. I could import and easily work with the videos from the GoPro HD. The problem came when it was time to save the resulting video. It wouldn't allow me to set the resolution of the output any higher than standard TV resolution. This application would be great if I didn't want to create HD videos, but the search continues...

Two more video editing applications that didn't work for me:

• Pinnacle Studio: Can't handle 60fps video properly. The project itself cannot be configured any higher than 30fps, so every other frame of the 60fps video is dropped when adding it to your project. Oddly, there are 60fps options for rendering your project, but it seems to just double up the frames from the 30fps project. I confirmed with tech support that 60fps projects simply aren't supported, and know known plans to add support for now. If you don't care about 60fps video, then this is a very nice and easy-to-use option that supports HD video.
  • Sony Vegas: Technically can do everything I need, but it seems to be targeted to hardcore video editing on high-end computers. I cannot find any way to get the preview video to run any faster than about 1-2 fps. That's kind of a big deal, because you rely on that preview video for all the trimming, etc. I think if I look a bit harder, I might be able to find a way to force the preview to pre-render? Although, the preview is just as slow even when viewing a normal video file that is not imported into the project yet, so it doesn't seem like pre-rendering could help.

I'll try a trial of Adobe Premiere Elements next. My prediction is that it will do what I need to do, but will have a steep learning curve. But if it works, it's better than the alternatives so far.

Meanwhile, I did throw together a mess of snowboarding clips from the other day. I really wish I could output 60fps; it's so clear and smooth compared to 30fps. Enjoy:

Hi There;

Questions for other user of the GoPro HD. I read your reviews and you say that the sound is "much improved".

As this is my first one I am having an issue I would like to run by you.

I have tried the unit in a car will all windows rolled up, and I have tried it tonight on the bike for the first time. Whenever I play back the movies and turn up the volume. I always hear a "rattling" sound. As if there were some loose bolts in the case. I know that the adjustment screw is fully locked down, even did a 1/2 turn with pliers and it does not move w/o excessive force.

Because this happened in the car and the mc I think I might have a defective unit.

I searched the forum for HDPRO and sound but did not come across anything similar.

Curious what others think

thanks

-=SF=-

If you're using one of the adhesive mounts with the buckle-like attachment, then there's an orange rubber piece that came with your GoPro that you can wedge in there to prevent the buckle from jiggling around in the clip and making noise.

I think pickles is not useless...

just got a gopro myself and it's not the mount to the camera it's the think you slide it into, that's where there will be some movement. I took a couple of pieces of paper and put them over that long tab it slides on top of.

you could try to just turn it on in the house, let it record in a perfectly stable position to test that theory...

Well I just joined the forum but I don't have a FJR yet. I'm still undecided & currently ride a Suzuki M109R. I saw this thread however and wanted to respond. The GoPro HD camera films very well. I always film in 720 with the wide angle format. The downside is this the "fishbowl" effect you get with the 170 degree lens at times, the pro's are waterproof housing, durability, ease of use, quality and low cost. Unless your using the open back case door for the camera the sound quality is very poor. However for motorcycle videos most people put background music to it so its typically not that big of a deal.

Not sure if anyone on here wants to see videos of a M109R but it at least gives you an idea as to what you can do with this camera. I've done 11 ride videos so far this year and they can all be seen on my Vimeo account. If I do move over to an FJR I'll be doing ride videos on that bike as well.

One of my vids: https://www.vimeo.com/24717639

You need a minimum of 4mb of RAM and 2.8mhz computing speed to properly edit HD videos. I would recommend 8mb of RAM however. Also make sure you purchase HD specific editing programs like Corel Videostudio Pro X4 https://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Product/1175714228541#tabview=tab0